HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   PA/NY twin Tiers ..Albion NY (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/349300-pa-ny-twin-tiers-albion-ny.html)

eng40sqd 09-06-2011 07:28 AM

PA/NY twin Tiers ..Albion NY

Hey there everyone,

We are looking pretty hard at moving to the twin tier area or up toward the Albion NY areas.

I have a few questions -

1. what is the overall hunting like in the tiers as well as the Albion area?

2. what is gaining access like in the both areas ( I am not against joining a group/club as that is about the only way here to secure decent hunting land and I have been involved in clubs for 30 years (since I was 7)

3. what about season length and bag limits ny vs pa

I am sure I have more but these are a start...

Thanks ahead of time for any information

Justin

bugsNbows 09-06-2011 08:08 AM

I've hunted the Southern Tier area (Steuben Co.) since the mid 60's. The hunting is quite good in some areas, and there are several State lands available for use. We regularly have deer, turkey, squirrels by the truckload, black bears are getting higher populations, grouse (up and down), pheasants (up and down), rabbits (up and down) coyotes (pretty much quite abundant now), etc. Kind of depends on your likes. The deer tend to be not huge in the antler department (many yearlings are killed ) although there certainly are some big ones around. Hunting pressures can be high for firearms seasons...especially openers and holidays. Archery seasons are good and hunting pressures are much lower...especially on public land. There is huntable private land but you must seek it out. Good luck. BTW, NY taxes suck. I left there in the 70's and am now a non-resident hunter.

Venator2 09-06-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by eng40sqd (Post 3843465)
Hey there everyone,

We are looking pretty hard at moving to the twin tier area or up toward the Albion NY areas.

I have a few questions -

1. what is the overall hunting like in the tiers as well as the Albion area?

2. what is gaining access like in the both areas ( I am not against joining a group/club as that is about the only way here to secure decent hunting land and I have been involved in clubs for 30 years (since I was 7)

3. what about season length and bag limits ny vs pa

I am sure I have more but these are a start...

Thanks ahead of time for any information

Justin

I live just off 31 about 30 miles east of Rochester and same distance from lake as Albion. You probably know there is plenty of farm land and a little decent interface, especially if you live there, and you will do fine.
Average buck will run about 125-130 lbs. I hunted here for about 50 years and the biggest I have ever got was 209 lbs. I usually get two doe permits also. Easily filled if you are into that.
I used to love Pheasant and Grouse but you will need, probably, to go midstate or Southern Tier. I used to hunt around Seneca lake. Pheasants are only found easily in state areas. Anywhere else you need a good pointer or Spaniel. The duck hunting appears good around Sodus and Wolcott here. I never got involved but....I would guess Albion is good also.
There is a lot of country near western and eastern Penn. borders and I suspect that would be real good also for Grouse or deer.
As for Penn hunting all I know is what I read on here and there is a lot of complaining. I used to have buddies years ago and I understand the hunting was great there.
The lake is nice if you do fishing. I also been there and done that. If you are going to venture out far make sure you got a enough boat to get off in a hurry. Ontario can get nasty quick.