Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Very disapointing >

Very disapointing

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Very disapointing

Old 08-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default Very disapointing

Just got word that the area he hunt in Hunterdon county NJ was hit bad with blue tongue. From what guys are saying there are thousands dead. Heard stories of litteraly 20 dear at a clip laying dead in streams and ponds. Great and I just paid for my lease too!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Guess no one fron NJ on here? Just got back from the property and not one deer track and 5 carcasses. Talked to several other people and the area is desimated. Hunterdon county has the highest deer per square mile, hunter kill rates, and largest lisence sales out of all on NJ. Went on a local hunting sight and they are talking about gear, pictures from last year and food plots! Go figure?
Old 08-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live and hunt just across the river in PA and as yet I haven't seen any evidence of EHD in our area and I haven't heard of any reports of EHD from the guys I know that hunt NJ. I checked the NJ DEP website and there were no reports of EHD in NJ in 2011.
If you haven't done so already, it might be a good idea to report your findings to the DEP.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
I live and hunt just across the river in PA and as yet I haven't seen any evidence of EHD in our area and I haven't heard of any reports of EHD from the guys I know that hunt NJ. I checked the NJ DEP website and there were no reports of EHD in NJ in 2011.
If you haven't done so already, it might be a good idea to report your findings to the DEP.
From what I understand and from what I have seen in decay of the carcasses it hit our property about a month ago. I called some friends and farmers on adjoining farms and they are in the same situation. Just a little while ago I got a call from someone with land in Lambertville and they are seeing it too. Which means its spreading. I am not one to spread hearsay but I have heard stories of dead deer in bait piles and bait stations maintained year round with cameras go from many sightings per picture to one doe a week. 3 local clubs have already packed up their stands and went to other places to hunt. I witnessed it for myself. One was in the creek flopping and running in circles trying to avoid me after I almost stepped on her. Called another friend and the conservation officers know about it and two biologist working on it. But really what can be done? Its population control via mother nature. I will post the two pics I took (before my phone died) in a little while.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Spike

That's all a bunch of crap. I live in Hunterdon and belong to two different clubs with no mention. I live in these woods and haven't seen any thing unusual except for the normal road kill.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by joedjr59
That's all a bunch of crap. I live in Hunterdon and belong to two different clubs with no mention. I live in these woods and haven't seen any thing unusual except for the normal road kill.
Bro, I wish you were right and you may be in your neck of the woods in Hunterdon. But I can tell you the Western part of Sourland mountain, Unionville, Western part of Wertsville Rd. Linvale Rd. Orchard Rd, Rocktown Rd. have all been hit hard. I so wanted to go into the woods today to debunk the hearsay thats beed buzzing around. I actually just got off the phone with another hunter from a piece near hillbilly hall and he said right away that he heard it and he saw it too. Do me a favor call the main hub for NJFW and ask to speak with an officer in charge of the Hunterdon area. I bet you my truck they say they know about it. To the gentleman who stated its not on the NJFW website. I know its not don't know why but its not. Here are just 2 of the pics I got before my phone died. Its two deer dead laying on a creek bank 50 yards apart. I actually saw 4 more in the other creek that runs through the property but my phone died.
Attached Thumbnails Very disapointing-dead1.jpg   Very disapointing-dead2.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Ahhh here you go http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/article107973.htm
Old 08-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Man that suxs...there's some great bucks in the area...I was once hunting on the river up that way and had a 160 class 8 pointer chasing a doe across the river...man that suxs...I hope it does'nt get to the Pa side....
Old 08-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HONKERS
Man that suxs...there's some great bucks in the area...I was once hunting on the river up that way and had a 160 class 8 pointer chasing a doe across the river...man that suxs...I hope it does'nt get to the Pa side....
Just an update. I talked to a F&W employee tonight and they do 100% know about it and test are being done on a live subject. They are testing to see if its #1. EHD and #2. type 1 or type 2. There isn't much that can be done accept hope for the best. I am heading out to my other property about 5 miles away from my club prop on Wed. Will post more pics then. Was told the areas are W. Amwell, E. Amwell, Hopewell, Pennington. Basiclly Northern Mercer and Southern Hunterdon counties
Old 08-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

This is just so reminiscent of when i was mule deer hunting in the epicenter of chronic wasting disease area in the Medicine Bow area of Wyoming and saw all those downer deer. Very sad to say the least when you see 170 class bucks with their tongues hanging out, back brushed fur and head hung low dying a slow death.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.