HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NYers Remember when ... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/348012-nyers-remember-when.html)

TRACKER 08-10-2011 08:51 PM

NYers Remember when ...

NY Hunters remember when we use to get doe tags ( DMP.S) for down state not long ago , most cases we recieved 2 and at times applied for 2 extra and usualy made out great .
Well every year in the last 10 or so its going down hill fast .
My are 8T for instance is down to a medium chance or I believe they use to say less than 2 out of 3 hunters will get a DMP .
2nd chance is zero ..
Unless you can get a tag threw another hunter if your lucky its almost not worth the bother ...
Everyone says the same every year as far as deer being seen . Some years better than others but every year less DMP,s ...

SteveBNy 08-11-2011 02:29 AM

I remember when there was no doe harvest at all. Then it was 3 to 4 hunters with one on a party permit if drawn. DMPs are decided for the entire dmu. Because there may be a lot of deer in one part doesn't mean it is not a desert just a few miles away.

Bernie P. 08-11-2011 06:06 AM

I remember when they were free!

sbuff 08-11-2011 11:35 AM

I recall no DMP at all,wasn't until maybe the late 80 or early 90's 6k got dmp's. With my lifetime license the dmp is Free !!

Have they printed the paper work which shows each DMU and the odds of getting a dmp permit? I have not seen it.

Steve

SPIKEHORN11 08-11-2011 01:13 PM

Here's the link.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30409.html

PREDATE 08-14-2011 07:03 AM

I don't eat antler(they hurt my teeth)! However, I do have a very healthy appetite for venison! I don't count on taking a monster buck very often on the public land that I hunt,but I will forever be a devoted hunter with the upmost respect and gratitude for conservation/conservationists! I'm not a fan of the lottery system on dmp's but I pay liscence fees(RESIDENT) every year and have to live with the fact that I may not even get 1(like the past two years)! Hopefully my preference points meet the states criteria to qualify me for some venison in my freezer! It seems to me that most of the "extra" tags these last few years have been issued in WMU's that have had the most prevalent cases of CWD! Not sure though! Bring on the feral hogs so that I can feed my appetite for wild animal flesh! Yep' it's gotten that bad!!LOL

PREDATE 08-14-2011 07:10 AM

Oh and who's got the recipe for pickled whitetail nuts????

TRACKER 08-14-2011 06:12 PM

LOL Easy there ..

Originally Posted by PREDATE (Post 3834436)
I don't eat antler(they hurt my teeth)! However, I do have a very healthy appetite for venison! I don't count on taking a monster buck very often on the public land that I hunt,but I will forever be a devoted hunter with the upmost respect and gratitude for conservation/conservationists! I'm not a fan of the lottery system on dmp's but I pay liscence fees(RESIDENT) every year and have to live with the fact that I may not even get 1(like the past two years)! Hopefully my preference points meet the states criteria to qualify me for some venison in my freezer! It seems to me that most of the "extra" tags these last few years have been issued in WMU's that have had the most prevalent cases of CWD! Not sure though! Bring on the feral hogs so that I can feed my appetite for wild animal flesh! Yep' it's gotten that bad!!LOL

Are you sure your not TED NUGENT ??
Kinda sound like him ... LOL...
Thats a very good point .
Pay the pricey license fee,s EVERY year and only have a chance on even getting a DMP Tag .
Yes our buck tag is a given but not everyone is lucky enough to even see a buck, let alone shoot one .
I,ll say give us a BUck/ doe tag and shoot what fits your needs .
With todays economy there needs to be a little give and take ..

TRACKER 08-14-2011 06:13 PM

LOL Easy there ..

Originally Posted by PREDATE (Post 3834436)

Are you sure your not TED NUGENT ??
Kinda sound like him ... LOL...
Thats a very good point .
Pay the pricey license fee,s EVERY year and only have a chance on even getting a DMP Tag .
Yes our buck tag is a given but not everyone is lucky enough to even see a buck, let alone shoot one .
I,ll say give us a BUck/ doe tag and shoot what fits your needs .
With todays economy there needs to be a little give and take ..

PREDATE 08-15-2011 04:17 AM

I'd better not say "whack em' and stack em"!! That's not my motto at all (except for coyotes). I love to hunt. It's in my blood. I just want NYS to get it right and to preserve this sport so that the youngsters these days have something to look forward to. I'm not trying to say that NYS is wrong, for laws/regulations ARE set for a purpose! I'm not complaining either. I just take hunting serious(sometimes LOL). Good Day All,