Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Turkey Hunting Surprised >

PA Turkey Hunting Surprised

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Turkey Hunting Surprised

Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Turkey Hunting Surprised

I haven't hunted fall turkey in PA for several years so I was surprised to learn that it is not legal to hunt fall turkeys by any other method than by calling with a mouth or hand call. So even though it is legal to use a dog to break up a flock you can't legally shoot those birds unless they respond to your call. It is also illegal to track turkeys in the snow or to ambush them by waiting in a feeding area like an oak ridge.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Who in the world told you this falacy? There is nothing in the regs about tracking turkey or "ambushing" them in a feeding area. It is perfectly legal. And, you can use a rifle in the fall.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one told me about this regulation and that is why I posted it . You and the vast majority of PA turkey hunters have no idea that this law is on the books , but it is and it is not even mentioned in the Hunting Digest. However, the PA code specifically states that it is illegal to hunt turkeys in both spring and fall . The code is available on the PGC website and if you can't find the section I will be happy to copy and paste it for you.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would really like to read this. Please post site. I saved the game code on my desktop but I see nothing like you state. please let me know what section of the game code this is in.

Last edited by bronko22000; 07-31-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the section of the code you are looking for . It is part of Title 58 of the code.

§ 141.45. Turkey.

(a) Fall turkey season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt turkey during the fall turkey season with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloading firearm using single-projectile ammunition, except as otherwise prohibited in paragraph (2)(i).

(ii) A manually operated or semiautomatic, centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun using shot ammunition no larger than #4 lead, #2 steel or #4 of any other composition or alloy of nontoxic shot approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134 (relating to nontoxic shot).

(iii) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(iv) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(2) Prohibitions. While hunting turkey during the fall turkey season, it is unlawful to:

(i) Use a manually operated centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloading firearm using single projectile ammunition in Wildlife Management Units 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 5B, 5C and 5D.

(ii) Use drives or any method other than hand or mouth calling.

(iii) Use or possess an electronic caller or a live turkey as a decoy.

(iv) Use a device not provided for in the act or in this subsection.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bluebired, I believe you are reading too much into this. You can't drive them, but you surely can sit on an oak ridge and 'ambush' them. Ever hear of silent calling?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can't drive them, but you surely can sit on an oak ridge and 'ambush' them.
A WCO said on another site that it was in fact illegal to ambush turkeys and it is also illegal to hunt them by tracking them if there is snow cover.

BTW, I am not reading too much into the law. The law is quite clear and and it is up to you to decide if you want to obey the law or violate it,just like any other law.

Last edited by bluebird2; 08-01-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Simple to me - lay a call next to you at your ambush area but do not use it.

However,

I must agree with Bleubird here as I asked this same question of DougE another WCO in PA. I was surprised greatly! It is illegal to stalk. So if you hear a gobble and move closer to it you could be arrested. So even running and gunning could be deemed illegal. Strange for sure!

JW
Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

And then these idiots wonder why there are less and less hunters out there. I believe you are demonstrating extreme woodman's skill to track and sneak up on a turkey. I know sometimes you can pop up onto a rise and catch some close. So would that be considered stalking? So again, your saying I am hunting turkey in the fall in fresh snow and come across tracks. What am I supposed to do turn around and go the other way? BS. And, what if I am hunting and walk up on an oak flat and decide to sit down and have lunch and - oops, along comes a flock of turkey. What do I do, let them walk by? No way. How about archery season? Sitting in a tree stand for deer during turkey season and a big old gobbler comes into range. Again, let him walk? Sorry, it ain't gonna happen. These are common hunting scenerios. And many a turkey has fallen by them. Sometimes I think the PGC has absolutely zero common sense.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-01-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey I agree with you wholeheartedly!!!!! - Rather ridicoulous law in my mind. Tahtis why I said plop down and sit but when ya do pull out a call even if you don't use it!

AND the main reason I was told it was a safety factor.

Pop DougE a e-mail. He did frequent here.

JW
JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.