Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Turkey Hunting Surprised >

PA Turkey Hunting Surprised

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Turkey Hunting Surprised

Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does the PGC POUND it into your head in the HUNTER SAFTEY CLASS , NEVER STALK A TURKEY or TURKEY SOUNDS {Spring or Fall} ???
Old 08-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Without a doubt the current courses emphasize not stalking turkeys in both the spring and fall. But, the vast majority of PA hunters either didn't take a hunter safety course or took it before 2000 when stalking turkeys in the fall was legal. Therefore,a lot of PA hunters have no idea that it is illegal to stalk turkeys in the fall, since the PGC doesn't state in the Digest that it is illegal in the fall.

BTW, making stalking illegal in the spring hasn't prevented some hunters from stalking and shooting other hunters who are calling like a hen, even though only bearded gobblers are legal. Therefore, if fall turkey hunting was limited strictly to calling ,it would make fall hunting more difficult and may actually increase the number of accidental shootings.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Without a doubt the current courses emphasize not stalking turkeys in both the spring and fall. But, the vast majority of PA hunters either didn't take a hunter safety course or took it before 2000 when stalking turkeys in the fall was legal. Therefore,a lot of PA hunters have no idea that it is illegal to stalk turkeys in the fall, since the PGC doesn't state in the Digest that it is illegal in the fall.

BTW, making stalking illegal in the spring hasn't prevented some hunters from stalking and shooting other hunters who are calling like a hen, even though only bearded gobblers are legal. Therefore, if fall turkey hunting was limited strictly to calling ,it would make fall hunting more difficult and may actually increase the number of accidental shootings.
If the stalking law is not in the Digest a WCO will have a hard time with that one in the woods. Hunters will always shoot other hunters no matter what is taught in Hunter Safety. Thats just the way it is. Can't stop it, only try . Where does it say in the Digest that you can only shoot bearded gobblers. On page 35 of the digest it states that you can shoot only turkeys with a visible beards in the spring. On a side note ! I would never shoot a bearded Hen!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the stalking law is not in the Digest a WCO will have a hard time with that one in the woods. Hunters will always shoot other hunters no matter what is taught in Hunter Safety.
If hunters will always shoot other hunters,would you agree that limiting hunting to calling in both spring and fall is a meaningless,basically unenforceable law ?
Based on the articles I have read about accidental shootings while turkey hunting, I have yet to see a case where the shooter was cited for stalking.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

in spring season you cant stalk a gobbler.you can call,ambush or not call and you must use shotgun.
in fall, you can use rifle and shoot a gobbler or hen. in fact you can shoot 2 with extra tag they sell now.
i believe you can stalk turkey in fall.

now you can use dog to hunt turkeys in fall.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
If hunters will always shoot other hunters,would you agree that limiting hunting to calling in both spring and fall is a meaningless,basically unenforceable law ?
Based on the articles I have read about accidental shootings while turkey hunting, I have yet to see a case where the shooter was cited for stalking.
Yes I do. The PGC is covering thy a$$. Lets face it, Hunters will shoot other Hunters no matter what Laws are in the books!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
in spring season you cant stalk a gobbler.you can call,ambush or not call and you must use shotgun.
in fall, you can use rifle and shoot a gobbler or hen. in fact you can shoot 2 with extra tag they sell now.
i believe you can stalk turkey in fall.

now you can use dog to hunt turkeys in fall.
You and thousands of other PA hunters believe stalking turkeys in the fall is legal,but the code specifically states that calling is the only legal method for hunting turkeys in both the spring and fall seasons. Therefore,shooting a turkey flushed by a dog would be technically illegal.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Just watched the Sportsman channel and the show Hollywood Hunter who stalked a turkey in PA.

Its on tape - go get em boys! Its illegal!

JW