Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Turkey Hunting Surprised >

PA Turkey Hunting Surprised

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Turkey Hunting Surprised

Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Using dog.you mean to tell me if your dog flushes the birds ,you have to call dog back and use call to call them in?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW!
Hey I agree with you wholeheartedly!!!!! - Rather ridicoulous law in my mind. Tahtis why I said plop down and sit but when ya do pull out a call even if you don't use it!

AND the main reason I was told it was a safety factor.

Pop DougE a e-mail. He did frequent here.

JW
JW
While I agree that the intent of the law is the safety factor,isn't calling a major factor in most accidental shooting during turkey season?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:51 AM
JW
Super Moderator

No it is not!

To me (Am a Hunter Education Instructor) it is clearly NOT knowing your Target or Beyond and you are breaking one of the Cardinal rules of Hunter Safety! KNow your target - control your muzzle and absolutley No one gets hurt!

JW
Old 08-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I agree that failing to properly identify the target is the major reason for most hunting accidental shootings, I was simply pointing out that calling may attract other hunters to the location of the hunter that is calling,which then results in the accidental shooting by the hunter that failed to identify their target.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Typical Buck

The whole thing sounds like flatlander nonsense. We hunt turkeys with rifles and move around while doing it. I doubt the Game Warden knew what he was talking about. I have seen guys walk around with shotguns and hunt turkeys like pheasants. That clip looked as if it pertained to special regs areas anyway.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The law applies statewide but I doubt it is enforced anywhere since the PGC doesn't even bother to put it in the Digest and they made no effort to advertise the change. There was even a PGN article about a guy that shot a turkey while pheasant hunting with his dog.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way the law is written there is no grey area. It clearly states that the only legal method for hunting turkeys in both the spring and fall is by calling.

However, I will agree that it is highly unlikely any WCO wold cite you for waiting to ambush a turkey while sitting on a stump. However, I think it might be an entirely different story if a WCO and his son were calling to turkeys and you moved into that area and shot one of the birds they were calling. That would be a classic case of stalking which is what the law is intended to prevent.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should never stalk a turkey. They teach you that in hunter Ed . There is a difference between stalking a turkey and hunting a turkey. Any hunter worth his weight in gold would never stalk a turkey.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is acceptable to stalk deer ,bear,elk,groundhogs and pheasants why wouldn't it be just as acceptable to stalk a turkey?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you know the answer ,why don't you post it? Until recently stalking turkeys in the fall was legal, but the PGC changed the regs while failing to include the change in the Digest. If there is a good reason for prohibiting stalking in the fall why isn't it important enough to place in the Digest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.