Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NYS Deer Manangement Proposal >

NYS Deer Manangement Proposal

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYS Deer Manangement Proposal

Old 06-18-2011, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default NYS Deer Manangement Proposal

The 5 Year NYS DEC Deer Management Proposal is now available at the following link: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_...erplan0611.pdf.
The plan basically proposes a few changes in the season. A Southern zone archery opener of Oct. 1st, a Youth Firearms Season the weekend of Columbus day weekend and possibly a change in the distance that one can discharge a bow when hunting near a dwelling from 500 ft to 150 ft.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for sharing....
Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I don't like, if read under Appendix 3 Alternate Buck Harvest Strategies. It appears to me as though the DEC is looking to decrease buck harvest tag limits. It very well could be just 1 buck tag! I've also heard this from other club sources. If that is the case I hope its not restricting just 1 tag for archery, muzzleloader, and regular season total. That could greatly reduce license sales due to fact why pay for additional licenses if can only recieve 1 buck tag!
I personally am more than happy with harvesting 1 buck a year. Its pretty much all I do, and have done. But what I do like is having the extra tag during archery & muzzloader, then 1 in regular season so I can keep hunting for a big boy. I enjoy meat hunting first, most often a doe. Then going for big bone, perferrably with a bow. If I'm successful at that. Regular season wouldn't be all that interesting to me w/o a buck tag. Just my opinion.

Last edited by BuckAlley; 06-23-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

I,m not realy liking the idea of cutting back the BG season to 44 days .
They end up lengthening our bow season but cuts back on rifle ?
Also I just wanted to comment on the youth 3 day hunting dates planned .
Personaly I dont feal that having the 3 day youth hunt would be a good idea during the Columbus Day Weekend do to the fact that it falls on the deer bow season .
My point is that it is not LEGAL to carry a FIREARM ( as far as I was told ) during or while BOW HUNTING .
The youths will need a Parent or Licensed adult with them and do to follow up shots , saftey or maybe dad just wants to bring a gun along wouldnt he then be braking the law ?
I would suggest having it during the opener or last 3 days of muzzleloader season .
Yes same rules apply but dad could then at least have the oppurtunity to carry a ML Legaly .
Old 06-29-2011, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

I have read the proposal and under "Alternative Buck Harvest Strategies" It appears to me that DEC is only pointing out the suggestions they received, I don't see any wording that would indicate that they are proposing a one Buck rule. It appears to me that they are more in favor of Antler restrictions.
On a side note, in this weeks NY Outdoor News is a half page advertisement on page 8 that is completely misleading in reference to the DEC proposal. I called NY Outdoor News and complained about it. I have no problem with someone pointing out what they don't like about the proposal, but at least be truthful. That AD is only designed to scare hunters with half truths and misrepresentations. I would like to know who placed it.
I encourage all hunters to read the proposal, and if they have questions about it, call DEC and let them explain it to you.
And just for the record, there are some aspects of the proposal I don't like, but at least DEC is trying to improve the deer hunting situation here in NY. And no, I don't work for DEC and never have.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Spike

let me first say i am not against the youth hunting season. however, could someone tell me what was wrong with the way most people i know learned to hunt. when i started at age 5 ( 43 yrs ago ) we were not old enough to carry guns but we went. we carried shells, helped with field dressing, checked on older hunters, and most importantly learned how to hunt, not necessarily just how to kill. In my opinion, and it is just an opinion, in today's world way too much emphasis is put on taking animals. I think it is becoming killing and not hunting.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

From the proposal: Reducing the buck tag limit and shortening the firearms seasons are the options more frequently suggested by New York Hunters.
You can put your $ on it, its what the DEC will try to do! Think about it what attracts hunters, and increases license sales? Big Bucks, and lots of deer. The days of big deer herds is long gone. So that leaves Big Bucks!

Andrews, I understand what your saying and agree with you in part as I was raised the sameway. I went out every chance I could with my father as a kid. However times have changed, kids are more involved in after school activities, and the electronics era. Plus anti-hunting organizations, and health kicks like vegetarians. Hunting is no longer a top priority to kids, and families. The average age of NY hunters keeps increasing. Its a sad thing, but the DEC, and hunting organizations never saw it coming. I'm not sure a youth deer hunt is the answer. I know the youth turkey hunt has been a big success. Lowering the age limits should help as well. But the important thing is we get our kids involved for the future of hunting!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

ok, can someone tell me if under this new law my daughter who is 12 will be able to partake in the youth season? I tried reading it and hope someone might have seen the age restrictions...

As far as the whole thing goes. I would have left it the way it was and added on the youth hunt the 1st of october, have the antlerless muzz season at the same time and by the time bow season gets here the deer would of had 2 weeks to settle down.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

As I see it they want to ad a 3 day youth or ages 12 and 13 season to the 2011 year .
I was under the impression it was a gun hunt for the 12 and 13 year olds .
BUT I just read an artical in the new NWTF magazine stating it was for 12 and 13 yr old kids that hunt BOW with a 21 yr old or older archer that hunted with a bow for at least 3 years ?
If thats the case then Columbus day weekend would be fine .
Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Are you guys seriously saying there are less deer around then there have been in the past? We need more doe tags and 3 antler per side restrictions. It is about the money so hand out more doe tags. The Doe:Buck ratio in NY is so messed up its not even funny. Maybe its just because of where you guys live, but in 4Y we sure as hell have a surplus of does. (PS. andrewstj you couldn't be more wrong buddy, no need to be cynical )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.