Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ny turkeys

Old 05-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Spike

Default ny turkeys

what's anybody in new york doing this season? it has been tough for us in steuben county, henned up, wet birds.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been my worst season yet.I rarely go beyond the first week without killing two gobblers.So far I've only worked one that caught me sneaking in and ran off after refusing to come to me.Last week I had 3 jakes feeding in the afternoon right in back of the house but I'll only shoot a jake the last day or two.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

One my worst seasons as well. Had some gobbling action around home. Only gotten 1 full tom to come in, after the last hen finally left him. I had my son setup for the shot, but he couldn't get a clear one, so had to pass. Beyond that, called in a few jakes, but I don't shoot jakes anymore. Down to my camp in Cortland Co. been worst ever had down there. Only got a lone beardless jake to come in, and thats the only tom heard gobble at all down there. I'm not finding or seeing the birds I have in last couple of yrs.. Ones I do know of have been henned up good. I like to piss off the hens, and bring them in with the tom in tow. But thats not even working this yr. Def. been a strange spring. 1 day left. Not getting my hopes up.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

worst season for me too but partially my fault I only made it out three times had some gobbling opening day and NOTHING AFTER THAT
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

I didnt even get out .
Although I went to the lot 4or5 times to plant corn, clover and oats .
I jumped turkeys in the fields and wood edges almost every time .
I went and checked my cameras and jumped a big hen on the way threw a small section of woods ( scared the crap out of me , she was only 4 feet from me when she flew up them landed 10 ft away .) Jumped another at another spot on the brush line near my camera .
Then jumped the same hen a few feet from where I seen her on the way in . I,m sure she has her babies in there or she would have left all together .
So hows Steuben Countys deer population duoing this year ?
You guys getting hammered with rain there to ?
Do you no if there installing the windmills in or near Howard yet ?
Thanks ......
Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

No birds for me!!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:41 AM
Spike

Default Tracker

windmills going in. plenty of deer. saw three bears in 2 hours second weekend of season. one big one inside of ten yards! only action i had all season.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunted in four different counties bad,bad year. I think we lost a lot of birds this winter, and the last two springs sucked for the poults.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Spike

Same in southeastern Allegany County, NY - lousy
Old 06-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

I am surprised to hear about what a tough year people had, I thought it was an above average year in the little corner of Otsego County I hunt. I think on the whole the population is down (and has been down for the past few years) but I thought the birds were very responsive this year - my unscientific hypothesis is that the number of hens is down so the birds had to become more aggressive in coming to calls if they wanted to breed.

This is the only bird I shot, a good two year old I got on May 5th. I called very softly a couple times while he was on the roost, just enough to let him know where I was, and put the calls away. He flew off the top of this ridge and landed 30 yards away and double gobbled as soon as both feet were on the ground...they were his last words haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.