Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Best hunting Counties and reasonable land in NY?? >

Best hunting Counties and reasonable land in NY??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Best hunting Counties and reasonable land in NY??

Old 08-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best hunting Counties and reasonable land in NY??

I grew up hunting in Columbia County, moved to Ulster County and ended up in Suffolk County which all my hunting areas have turned into mostly back yards now.

Finishing my career and am now finally going to have time and some savings to devote to hunting again. I am hoping to buy a hunting retreat and build a cabin with a minimum of 100 acres. I was hoping to spend between $500-1000 an acre. Any ideas about where? Have a friend who wants me to get land next to him in Chenango County don’t really know the area and was thinking the Adirondacks was the best place, the wife wants me to get a place back in Columbia County but the land prices seem awfully high now. Where’s the dream hunting area in NY that’s still affordable?

Any opinions or suggestions appreciated
Old 08-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best hunting Counties and reasonable land in NY??

i also live in suffolk county and the hunting here is great... but still looking for property in upstate as well
Old 08-04-2003, 06:26 AM

I' m not sure where the best place for you would be. Just remember when you get your property watch out for the tax man. I met some real nice people awhile back that bought some beautiful land up by Old Forge, didn' t cost much. Then they built a small cabin, then it came time for taxes[][X(] The taxes were more then the cabin and the property put together. Sometimes the good deals, aren' t all that good.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:33 AM

i moved out of the NYC area some 20 years ago, and know many hunting areas
well in n.y. from the adirondaks to the catskills, to the finger lake region, to lake
erie, If i was in your shoes, and considering reasonable nice looking land, with
high deer and turkey populations, land is still very cheap in the western part of n.y. with on average some of the best bucks killed every year, have to admit i do love all the other areas mentioned, but for plantiful game, at a reasonable price
and beauty to match, you cant beat south western N.Y., and taxes are very cheap
in fact can set you up with, my sister inlaw, who is a realitor, and is looking for
land for my dad right now, who lives on staten island, send me a PM if your interested, shes got printouts on listing by the hunderds,
Old 08-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

check out gunhut.com, or is it thegunhut.com? anyway i don' t know your counties, but there is a lot of land posted on it, not only for ny., but all over. scroll through all of the pages, looks like lots of good deals in it.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

I would try Northern Delaware County. Still a top producer in deer, land is still relatively cheap, and its good quality land, Farmland, with big woods.

Try Looking around Stamford, Gilboa, Davenport area.....
Old 08-04-2003, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your kind help guys. norsemen, I emailed you. I' m going to Columbia County next week to look at some land and then to Chenago in the early fall. Both areas are reccommended by friends who know the area, but are smaller than what I wanted.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:46 PM

robert, you have mail
Old 08-06-2003, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

definitly dont go to upstate NY, the hunting there is terrible.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:44 AM

phade, now that you mention it, you might be right, [] whats a deer?[8D] really
robert the only deer i see is on 12/24 , when santa comes to visit

Quick Reply: Best hunting Counties and reasonable land in NY??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.