Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 hay southern ny u ready for this >

hay southern ny u ready for this

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

hay southern ny u ready for this

Old 08-06-2003, 08:38 PM

Default RE: hay southern ny u ready for this

338, we were in the same boat a few short years ago, it wont take long, convincing neighbors, thats another story, Istill cant get throw to them, but i figure
every 10 or 20 first year bucks you guys let walk, a few will make it through, and maybe wind up on your wall the next year, good luck buddy
Old 08-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

It seems to be workin.. Last year we had 5 bucks in the feeder after the season .. 2 of the were legal to shoot.. I doubt they would be here if they haden' t started the 3 point rule .. Thanks Bill
Old 08-07-2003, 08:24 AM

338, also once you get to the point were 2 1/2 year olds are making it through the
onslot, shed hunting is a passion and a scouting tool i use every year in my area of western n.y., and have picked up matched sheds and killed the deer the following year, this year i have 2 diferant sheds from 130 to 145 class bucks,
that allready have my full attention for this up coming archery season, the 145
class could be knocking on the 160+ class this season, and i have my fingers crossed, best i could do is try, very hard, even when i find a small 1 1/2 old shed
thats good news to me, because i know i will have a mature buck to hunt the following season, 2 things never lie, big buck tracks, and big sheds, as opposed
to the people that seem to always see the 12 pointer, tell them to prove it,
thats were those game cameras are starting to get me interested,
Old 08-08-2003, 07:14 PM

Are you kidding? There' s enough problems with yahoos and slugs..then to give ' em rifles? Nuts! However, I can' t understand why NY won' t allow buckshot in the Southern region.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

These guys are bad enough with what they think they can hit with 1 projectile.. imagine if they had many ..
I think most of the shotguns used are pumps or auto .. Most rifles are bolt, It should slow them down and make them try to make the first shot count ..Bill
Old 08-09-2003, 06:48 AM

thats it 338, your not allowed in n.y. anymore, you stay right there in strudsburg
and shoot your trophy spike bucks, and if you cross the state line you will see
some serious lead flyin the word is out on you, you couldn' t get a second
shot off with a 338, because your looking for all your filling on the ground, that
flew out of your teeth, on that fisrt shot with your rino gun[]
Old 08-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

338, I don' t know what part of NY you hunt but I think your way over board.I use a bolt shot gun and so do most of the group I hunt with.I pride my self in 1 shot kills but if need be I can work that bolt about as fast as my pump.I pesonally don' t hear half the amount of shooting I used to a few years back.I have hunted Pa. 4or5 times and I heard alot more shooting there,could be because there was orange behind every tree.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:53 AM

DVD, being that he lives in the pocono' s he probably drives straight north up around binghampton area and a little west, i heard that area gets heavy pounded
sounds to me like he' s got a chip on his shoulder, because he' s not killing any
big bucks in p.a. or n.y., but what ever the case, he diserve' s to be were he' s at
right in the middle of a war zone living in the pocono' s i bet he' s a city
transplant from jersey or nyc, anyway, have to admit, when i drive thru there
from scranton to the delawere water gap, see alot of road kills, huge deer population around there, but i bet his troghy wall is a pile of p.a. 4 and 6 points
if he' s lucky, DVD please send me a PM, i want to ask you some questions
on your bolt action
Old 08-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

You guys sure do take this personal, You would think I am talking about you. This is just what I experience in the area I hunt, It won' t stop me from hunting there or does it really bother .
When I use the .338 I have no need for a second shot so there is no problem with that. javascript:void(AddText(' ' ))
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/image/s2.gifI to pride myself with one shot kills. actually I have no problem with the recoil. I think it is impossible to work a bolt as fast as a pump or auto, If you can more power to you .
The farm that we have was bought by my great grandfather in the early 50' s. Yes it is about a hr. west of binghamton in a town called van etten for the most part it is wooded with some fields. It is all private land and the guys I see are all local and from what I see use pumps and autos,do mostly drives and shoot at running deer.
I hunt mostly good size private land here in pa. I do not hear the shots that I hear in ny being shot at one deer. Last season I heard alot of shots now that we are allowed to shoot does on opening day.
As for the size of the deer I shoot last season here in pa I shot a 140 class 9pts with the bow. NY I shot a good size 8. I think you would be impressed with the class of deer that I have shot in my area over the years, Yes we do have alot of small deer here but in a few years I think most people will be impressed with the deer we should have here .. Bill
Old 08-10-2003, 05:49 AM

bill, you just cant lump everyone in a general statement like them guys, look
i have had some strange thing happen to me in potter co, and i sure as hell aint
gonna knock pa hunters, we all got big bucks on our mind, but after leaving p.a.
one year, with a 14" 4 pt, and having it aged at 3 1/2 years old, knew there was
a hugh problem, and after reading about changes in management tactics, my even
consider going back one day, time will tell, i do retrack my coment about your
4 and 6 pts, you did just have me a little pissed off, and a 140 class bow kill in of all states p.a., is quite an accomplishment, god nows before things turned around up hear, 4 & 6 pts were the norm, if you dident shoot one the first few days of the
season, you were not going to kill a buck, I have a dishwashed size box full of
small racks to prove it, [:@]

Quick Reply: hay southern ny u ready for this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.