Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 hay southern ny u ready for this >

hay southern ny u ready for this

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

hay southern ny u ready for this

Old 08-05-2003, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hay southern ny u ready for this

I have never been a big shotgun fan .. I use a muzzle loader in ny and nj, So I am for the change. I too hear all the shots and find the deer dead that these yahoos shoot at and wound then run off and die. 2 years ago I found 2 of them, I don' t know if the change will help this or not , It should just because of accuracy and distance difference. our farm is in Van etten in chumung county and it is much denser than marshalls creek where I live in pa and rifles are legal. I don' t hear the " crazy" shooting in pa that I hear in ny, and it seems to me I hear of more shooting accidents in my area of ny than I hear of in pa .. So I hope it will help with that also ..Bill

PS. most of the guys I see in ny don' t use scopes on their shotguns .. I bet they will on rifles.. That alone will help ..
Old 08-05-2003, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

I forgt to ask if anybody knows what countys are involved ..Thanks Bill
Old 08-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=S02326&sh=t

I see madison county (where I am) does not change - on bill 2326 BUT http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A05872 seems to indicate ALL Soouthern Teir. -

you can look for other NY Bills being considered on the website - below is a link when searching for " hunting" - http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?by=k&qs=hunting

its good to see what legeslation is in the works!

Old 08-05-2003, 05:10 PM

this is a reply to 338, have hunted P.A. many times during the rifle season, and
for as much land and area i hunted, found it to have blaze orange behind every
3rd tree, alot of hunting pressure in this state, but the resason theres less shooting is because 100 antlerless deer would run by, trailed by a spike or little 4
point that dosent stand to make it till lunch time, because doe are only harvested
at the end of the season, those poor bucks dont stand a chance, i think the numbers are 1.2 million hunters opening day, could you amagine the shooting
going on if like every other state they shoot all deer from day one, the state that i have found to have the most shooting was ohio, unreal, i thought i was landing on the beach at normandy[:@][] no disrespect to any veterans
Old 08-05-2003, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still say if the main reason for shotguns in the southern tier is for safety, then 3 shot plug them, and force hunters to make their hits count over flying lead at deer. It only gives us bad reputations anyways in my opinion. I mean why in the heck do some hunters need to shoot 10 plus times at a deer or group of deer. This in essence is probably whats led the state to implement orange, which I don' t have a problem with. I wear it anyways.
Far as northern & southern tiers. Jefferson & Lewis counties contain numerous open farm lands for long range rifle shots. The longest shot I' ve ever taken with a rifle is 110yds. 1 shot perfect in his chest., and he was done. Southern tier my longest was 90yds with the slug thrower. Again in the chest area, but I had to put 2 more in him to finish him off at close range. So it seems to me if the States idea of throwing more larger size ounces of lead at deer to put them down, because shotguns just are not as accurate is their idea of safety. Then why do I feel like wearing a bullet proof vest in the woods on opening day of southern tier[X(]! On doe permits in the southern zones compared to bucks only up north. My region Oswego county has been issuing doe permits for the last 2 seasons. I still don' t hear the crazy number of shots. far as the woods I hunt around home are no thicker or more open then the woods I hunt in my southern zone area. I' m also switching to a muzzleloader down south this season. Heck I can reach out to 200yds with that, and its alot more accurate!!!!!!!! I' d much rather take 1 shot over 3 or more.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

In reply to norsemen. What I ment was that the people shoot at 1 deer to many times I hear 5 shots then they reload and start shooting again, I hear this all day long. I don' t hear this in pa. I do understand what you mean with the does as we can shoot does on opening day in pa now, I have heard many more shots last season than before .. I hunt private land in both ny and pa .. I bet the pressure is very high on state land ..

Thanks for posting farm hunter .. I read that it is effective immediately. Is that true? ... Thanks Bill
Old 08-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

No Bill - Its only " effective immediately" if the Bill is passed, and signed into law - and the original wording stands.

As far as I know - that has not happened yet. I' m also unclear on which bill, or both are being considered.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:22 AM

farm hunter, it' s very hard for me to believe that this could become law, I there have been nothing mentioned in local newspaper' s or nothing, but it wouldn' t
suprise me though, many laws have passed , flow' n in under the radar, but what
ever the outcome, i' m sure we could adjust, we can use rifle cartridge in a pistol
now, but i' m not only conserned about the deer herd, but also a huge safety factor,
but thanks alot for posting your findings, and info
338, i dident know they changed the laws in P.A. reguarding the buck only hunting
this should help out a little in increaseing the quality of bucks for the future, really
it was long over do, how p.a. managed there deer herd, but it' s never to late,
and with the long proud tradition of deer hunting in your state, i' m sure things will
get better, just make sure to wear some blaze orange
Old 08-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Yes norsemen .. last year I put out about 100lb of apples at one time and had 27 does and 4 bucks camp in my front yard.. the ratio is a little out of wack .. I do not take bucks off my land only does to try to get it closer to a good ratio .. I just have to get the neighbors to do the same for a while ..Bill
Old 08-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

PS. thanks farm hunter .. I will wait to hear ..Bill

Quick Reply: hay southern ny u ready for this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.