Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY Turkey Opener >

NY Turkey Opener

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Turkey Opener

Old 05-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY Turkey Opener

Well I don't see much info on it, so I gather wasn't alot to talk about. Just like the toms didn't talk where I was at. I never got a tom to answer until 8:45! Called him in to 1 my boys, then by me. Just a beardless jake, so nothing wanted or could legally shoot anyways. We hunted to 11:20, and that was only action had. Pathetic opener, worst ever had!!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

shot this guy on the opener... came right in off of the roost... pretty fun hunt.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Things are dead in my area.Maybe the storm and all the rain has something to do with it.Haven't even seen them in the fields which was almost a sure thing with rain.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

I had tons of action opening day. Didn't shoot anything but had four real close calls with good long beards, but never got quite close enough. Passed on three jakes as well. It was the most responsive our birds have been in awhile. The last few years our birds have been real tight lipped, gobble on a the roost and as soon as they hit the ground you don't hear a peep.

Took a half day off work this morning to give it another shot and got this nice two year old right off the roost. Pitched down and landed within 30 yards.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

What gun is that?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't even seen a bird yet. I had 1 answer me on opening morning, but he wouldn't come off a ledge above me that was 300 yards away. Friends tried to "ambush" but they could not get a shot. Other than that, nothing. I think that the winter was really hard on the NY birds and they are few and far between. That's just my perspective.....

BigBuck95
Old 05-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't been to NY since the opener due to work schedule and mothers day this past Sunday. Hope to get out this weekend..
MA has been slow... shot a jake Sat... the only bird we saw...
Old 05-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Spike

The entire first week was quiet by me. If I was lucky I found a bird that would gobble on the rooste.Then shut up as his feet hit dirt. But most days nothing I hunted 8 strait days with 4 of us. I did manage a nice one on day 3 a 21lb 9 1/2" beard 1" spurs but this was the only bird any of us got. Real slow year. Hopefully the end of the season picks up.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Spike

Gmil were are you hunting I notice alot of green In your backround my area looked like januarry when i left on the 8th.