HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Ar-15 in Pa. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/341590-ar-15-pa.html)

stapher1 03-08-2011 05:35 PM

Ar-15 in Pa.

Me and my buddy have been talking about wishing we could use ar-15's for hunting varmints only. They must be like the line of ar's remington is offering with a 5 shot mag. No sks or mac90's, m4 ar's etc. Just ar-15 varmint rifles. I have a hard time understanding why they are not allowed but no caliber restrictions for deer or varmints...well that i have seen anyways. What do you guys think about ar's for varmint in pa in areas legal for centerfire rifles?:confused0024:

Pygmy 03-08-2011 07:21 PM

There are lots of stupid laws on the books in many states...

PA just seems to have a few more than most states...

Not only is it illegal to hunt big game in PA with a semi auto rifle ,pistol, or shotgun but it is illegal to hunt ANY game with a semi auto rifle or pistol...That means you can't shoot a woodchuck or a squirrel with your Ruger 10-22, NOR can you shoot a coon out of a tree with your vintage Colt Woodsman..

It is, however, perfectly legal to shoot game birds, small game or varmints with a semi auto shotgun and small shot, as long as it is plugged to hold only 3 shots..

ecuchief 03-09-2011 03:55 PM

Another odd restriction is the use of air powered rifles. I have a Gamo Whisper that is perfect for rural small game hunting. However, it is illegal to use for hunting.

BarnesX.308 03-09-2011 03:57 PM

It's illegal in PA. But I see nothing wrong with it. Especially for varmints.

Valentine 03-09-2011 04:41 PM

PA is lucky

they allow flintlock muzzleloaders. They're never going to change in your lifetime.
Besides, compound bows and crossbows are getting more efficient. There was never a problem in the last eighty years to reduce game in PA. With over 700,000 hunters available, the gc has enough hunters to cover a few weeks of shooting.

stapher1 03-11-2011 01:23 PM

I don't buy guns to punch holes in paper or shoot pop cans, so if i can't hunt with it, it's pointless for me. Which is a shame because i do like to shoot them, BUT!:bash:

rybohunter 03-11-2011 06:20 PM

I hate most laws in this state.

stapher1 03-12-2011 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pygmy (Post 3784017)
There are lots of stupid laws on the books in many states...

PA just seems to have a few more than most states...

Not only is it illegal to hunt big game in PA with a semi auto rifle ,pistol, or shotgun but it is illegal to hunt ANY game with a semi auto rifle or pistol...That means you can't shoot a woodchuck or a squirrel with your Ruger 10-22, NOR can you shoot a coon out of a tree with your vintage Colt Woodsman..

It is, however, perfectly legal to shoot game birds, small game or varmints with a semi auto shotgun and small shot, as long as it is plugged to hold only 3 shots..

I should buy a bolt action 50 BMG to hunt woodchucks:evil:

rem700man 03-13-2011 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by stapher1 (Post 3785630)
I should buy a bolt action 50 BMG to hunt woodchucks:evil:

Please post some kill pics after ya get started!lol

BarnesX.308 03-14-2011 08:31 AM

I should buy a bolt action 50 BMG to hunt woodchucks
If it's a manual-loading 50 BMG, it would be legal. :barmy:

I hope you handload, could get costly to shoot. :D

bronko22000 03-18-2011 04:17 PM

Yes PA has some crazy game laws. You can use a semi shotgun for small game or varmints, but you can't load it with slugs for deer? No semi auto weapons at all for big game and no semi auto rifles for anything. Not even a semiauto .22 for squirrels? Also, no airguns.

Mr. Slim 03-27-2011 06:14 AM

one shot is all you will get using a 50 caliber. that will scare all the groundhogs in 3 counties after that. lol

Sniper151 04-03-2011 11:17 AM

The negative of the AR in PA is the density of the population. You get some cowboy spraying bullets instead of well aimed shots and there will be more incidents of bullets into dwellings or other hunters being shot. The only semi permitted in PA for hunting is a shotgun plugged to 3 rounds.