Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Ar-15 in Pa.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ar-15 in Pa.

Me and my buddy have been talking about wishing we could use ar-15's for hunting varmints only. They must be like the line of ar's remington is offering with a 5 shot mag. No sks or mac90's, m4 ar's etc. Just ar-15 varmint rifles. I have a hard time understanding why they are not allowed but no caliber restrictions for deer or varmints...well that i have seen anyways. What do you guys think about ar's for varmint in pa in areas legal for centerfire rifles?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are lots of stupid laws on the books in many states...

PA just seems to have a few more than most states...

Not only is it illegal to hunt big game in PA with a semi auto rifle ,pistol, or shotgun but it is illegal to hunt ANY game with a semi auto rifle or pistol...That means you can't shoot a woodchuck or a squirrel with your Ruger 10-22, NOR can you shoot a coon out of a tree with your vintage Colt Woodsman..

It is, however, perfectly legal to shoot game birds, small game or varmints with a semi auto shotgun and small shot, as long as it is plugged to hold only 3 shots..
Old 03-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Spike

Another odd restriction is the use of air powered rifles. I have a Gamo Whisper that is perfect for rural small game hunting. However, it is illegal to use for hunting.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's illegal in PA. But I see nothing wrong with it. Especially for varmints.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA is lucky

they allow flintlock muzzleloaders. They're never going to change in your lifetime.
Besides, compound bows and crossbows are getting more efficient. There was never a problem in the last eighty years to reduce game in PA. With over 700,000 hunters available, the gc has enough hunters to cover a few weeks of shooting.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

I don't buy guns to punch holes in paper or shoot pop cans, so if i can't hunt with it, it's pointless for me. Which is a shame because i do like to shoot them, BUT!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate most laws in this state.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pygmy
There are lots of stupid laws on the books in many states...

PA just seems to have a few more than most states...

Not only is it illegal to hunt big game in PA with a semi auto rifle ,pistol, or shotgun but it is illegal to hunt ANY game with a semi auto rifle or pistol...That means you can't shoot a woodchuck or a squirrel with your Ruger 10-22, NOR can you shoot a coon out of a tree with your vintage Colt Woodsman..

It is, however, perfectly legal to shoot game birds, small game or varmints with a semi auto shotgun and small shot, as long as it is plugged to hold only 3 shots..
I should buy a bolt action 50 BMG to hunt woodchucks
Old 03-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by stapher1
Please post some kill pics after ya get started!lol
Old 03-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it's a manual-loading 50 BMG, it would be legal.

I hope you handload, could get costly to shoot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.