Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
No saturday deer opener in pa. >

No saturday deer opener in pa.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

No saturday deer opener in pa.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

What is your age Sproul? I'd also be ok with only youth shooting the doe. I've bought a doe tag the last 4 years. But I've only shot a doe in 2 of those years. The other years I just couldn't justify doing it. We weren't seeing many deer.
-Jake
Old 03-16-2011, 02:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
yes,it should .if they close we have no hunting/fishing items. no place to eat.also a lot of camps are against saturday opener also.most of LOCALS are for it that hunt.

hey i am not against hunting saturday but you get 2 saturdays NOW to hunt deer here in pa.
we like opener on monday as the excitement of weekend before is real nice.
problem is with saturday opener most come up on friday night,NO SHOPPING etc.then some go home saturday night or may not stay in camp.
its like fishing, they stay at camp on friday night and fish saturday and leave saturday night or sunday morning.
no shopping by fisherman.
it is just that stores relied on business they got over the bear weekend and now they are not getting it and they blame SATURDAY OPENER of bear on it.
With all the gas drilling going up there you would think the stores would be doing just fine with all the out of state gas workers spending money there 365 days a year.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pats102862
With all the gas drilling going up there you would think the stores would be doing just fine with all the out of state gas workers spending money there 365 days a year.
I travel thru the state with my job (industrial sales) and you can't go anywhere up there without seeing the sea of white pick-up trucks from the gas company workers. Rental properties are full, hotels are booked, and all those guys are buying food and drinking beer in the local bars. Just what I see in the areas I travel.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by White-tail-deer
I travel thru the state with my job (industrial sales) and you can't go anywhere up there without seeing the sea of white pick-up trucks from the gas company workers. Rental properties are full, hotels are booked, and all those guys are buying food and drinking beer in the local bars. Just what I see in the areas I travel.
Bottom line, there is no shortage of money floating around up there. If you cant make any money in retail up there right now, its not because of sat. openers or lack of deer.

Last edited by pats102862; 03-17-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pats102862

they are doing well.our area is just starting on gas drilling.problem is the gas drillers are out on rt64 and rt144.they go to snowshoe,they go to jersey shore,others stop at lock haven.
renovo is kind of off the path so to say.

but ,yes it is helping.but sporting goods store it has no impact.most of time the pipeliners only get hoggie to go.hunters will sit and eat a meal.GO IN STORES AND SHOP FOR CAMP.
drillers dont stop at restaurants and usually find one that makes hoggie to go.

it helps,no doubt about it.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

they are doing well.our area is just starting on gas drilling.problem is the gas drillers are out on rt64 and rt144.they go to snowshoe,they go to jersey shore,others stop at lock haven.
renovo is kind of off the path so to say.

but ,yes it is helping.but sporting goods store it has no impact.most of time the pipeliners only get hoggie to go.hunters will sit and eat a meal.GO IN STORES AND SHOP FOR CAMP.
drillers dont stop at restaurants and usually find one that makes hoggie to go.

it helps,no doubt about it.
I cant help but think that if a store has to rely on hunters for two weeks out of the year, they are already in trouble. How do they make it the other 50 weeks?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by WCO R.W.J
I cant help but think that if a store has to rely on hunters for two weeks out of the year, they are already in trouble. How do they make it the other 50 weeks?
trouble, you bet.being in business is not fun.i was in lowes today and more workers than people shopping.

wal-mart, everyone in food section, fishing/hunting area is dead.

not to get off subject too much but i am afraid that pgc/pfbc are going to merge.DCNR may stay same is what MAY happen. .gas drilling money is moving this and they want money in general fund.this was not to be looked at this year BUT my info i am getting is it may be looked at towards end of year.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Typical Buck

trouble, you bet.being in business is not fun.i was in lowes today and more workers than people shopping.

wal-mart, everyone in food section, fishing/hunting area is dead.

not to get off subject too much but i am afraid that pgc/pfbc are going to merge.DCNR may stay same is what MAY happen. .gas drilling money is moving this and they want money in general fund.this was not to be looked at this year BUT my info i am getting is it may be looked at towards end of year.
Sproulman:
If the hunting is as corrupt as you lay it out to be on here,,,advise those business owners to expand and start selling gaming products,,x-box,,,those hand held things etc....The things that will keep the kid busy while Dads out poaching spike bucks with the kids tag!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rem700man
Sproulman:
If the hunting is as corrupt as you lay it out to be on here,,,advise those business owners to expand and start selling gaming products,,x-box,,,those hand held things etc....The things that will keep the kid busy while Dads out poaching spike bucks with the kids tag!

good idea.i tried to get one to sell milk,he said NO.i then said,PIPELINERS LIKE MUCK BOOTS,he said NO.

YOU ARE RIGHT,WE STOCKED FISH ON LAST FRIDAY AND ONLY 1 KID SHOWED UP AND HE SAT IN TRUCK WITH HEATER ON WHILE HIS DAD HELPED ME DUMP FISH IN.

it should burn out butts that a LOT dads are using kids tags to get additional deer.