Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
No saturday deer opener in pa. >

No saturday deer opener in pa.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

No saturday deer opener in pa.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

From a NY stand point. As sure know NY switched to a Sat. opener after many yrs of a Mon. opener.
Its had its advantages & disadvantages. Biggest advantage is I believe its gotten more young hunters in the woods with their fathers on Sat. No school. Something I feel is VERY important for huntings future. Its also allowed hunters who couldn't enjoy the Mon. openers due to work to finally enjoy it.
Disadvantages is that some businesses have suffered I'm sure. How much, who knows. I'm sure hunters in need of supplies still purchase them, just not on the wknd before the old Mon. opener. The area game clubs that used to put on meals such as suppers, and brkfst for hunters have suffered the most.
I will say in area I hunt which is both private land, and public. Sat. opener doesn't seem anymore full of hunters, than the old Mon's. Come Sun. the woods are about dead. But I figure these are the same type hunters that only wanted to hunt the opener anyways. The diehards that enjoy camp, and hunting all wknd still do as it gives them 2 full days in the woods. Over a wknd of camp, and 1 day of hunting with the Mon. opener! Thats something I like. Arrive on Fri. hunt all day Sat, and most of Sun. Camp is still fun as ever, and now have fresh hunting stories to enjoy!!
Old 03-10-2011, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just for the record, I am for keeping the Monday opener for buck. I like the tradition. Plus, our cabin is part of an association. A lot of the members don't hunt. By Sunday at lunch time, they all go home and we hunters have the place to ourselves. I love that!!!! On a warm, sunny day in archery, I could be in a ground blind overlooking the field we spent time and money planting. Then, a bunch of LL Bean-clad goofballs with walking sticks and cameras come strolling along. In the winter, cross-country skiers. I love the time in the woods when everyone but the hunters are gone.

dad does not have to look for 3 points.with wives tag he has to shoot a 3 point to side buck
I would hate to end my season with a buck that may be smaller than I thought. And I sure would hate to end my son's season by shooting an inferior buck and straddling him with it.

As for the 5 year old girl with the 12-pointer, daddy didn't need her tag to shoot that buck. It was greater than 3-points to a side. He didn't need to call her on the radio to come put a youth tag on it. He could tag it himself and be the big hero. Why would he possibly involve his daughter on that one?

Could she have changed for the picture? When my boy shot his spike, we watch where it went. It looked like it went down. We went back to the cabin to get the truck and my father and to give the buck 30 minutes. My boy changed out of his hunting clothes because he's not comfortable in them. In the picture, he has his jacket on, but the rest of the clothes are back at the cabin.

If the butcher believes all this fraud is occurring, maybe he should blow the whistle.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
As for the 5 year old girl with the 12-pointer, daddy didn't need her tag to shoot that buck. It was greater than 3-points to a side. He didn't need to call her on the radio to come put a youth tag on it. He could tag it himself and be the big hero. Why would he possibly involve his daughter on that one?

Could she have changed for the picture? When my boy shot his spike, we watch where it went. It looked like it went down. We went back to the cabin to get the truck and my father and to give the buck 30 minutes. My boy changed out of his hunting clothes because he's not comfortable in them. In the picture, he has his jacket on, but the rest of the clothes are back at the cabin.

If the butcher believes all this fraud is occurring, maybe he should blow the whistle.
Its not that the buck is inferior so he's sticking his daughter with it, the point is he killed his limit and is using his daughter as an excuse to bag another deer. Somewhere along the line they started focusing on the pink shoes, the real problem is that she has no idea what the deer was shot with and spits out some answer provided by her father.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jicand
Its not that the buck is inferior so he's sticking his daughter with it, the point is he killed his limit and is using his daughter as an excuse to bag another deer. Somewhere along the line they started focusing on the pink shoes, the real problem is that she has no idea what the deer was shot with and spits out some answer provided by her father.
respectfully to dads and kids,but your post is right on.we dont have nothing against kids hunting its what you said.IT CAN BE JUST ANOTHER WAY FOR DAD TO GET ANOTHER DEER AND IS HAPPENING A LOT.
its much easier to shoot that SPIKE that was let go by me if you can say the kid shot it.

thats what is happening and butcher shops 50% or more not knowing gun or where they shot it.
if they made it 3 points to side for kids up to 16,A LOT OF THIS WOULD STOP.or make it only kids first year of hunting they are allowed to shoot a spike.
that would put hurt on this .

pink with sneakers was pic in paper of 5 year old at 35 degrees in pink with 12 point.a lot others with pics of 8 ywear olds with spikes etc at 35 degrees with sneakers on.i have no problem with dad shooting HIS buck, coming home with his tag on it and taking pic of his son/daughter with the spike or 12 point.

HECK I HAVE DONE THAT TO MY FAMILY.put kids in pic.
as long as his REGULAR ADULT license is USED,NO PROBLEM.

BUT TO COME HOME, USE KIDS TAG ON BUCK,THEN GO OUT OR ALREADY HAVE HIS BUCK AND GET ANOTHER, WHICH IS HAPPENING,IS NOT FAIR TO US THAT GO BY RULES.

some say, sproul i use wifes tag, why dont you complain about wives.why?,answer is you have to go by the 3 point rule there and guys, there are not many or easy to get a 8 point second time out.

but it is easy to get spike.butcher shop said well over 50% were SPIKES.you can see what is happening.
local butcher has 300 spikes turned in.
DID YOU SEE 300, 5 YR OLDS OUT IN WOODS?HMMMMMMMMM.i saw 2, yes only 2 under 12 yrs old out in my area .during gun season i saw ZERO,thats right ZERO under 12.

why because dads are hunting in crews .yet the 50% at butcher shops are GUN SEASON kills.hmmmmmmm

Last edited by sproulman; 03-10-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

the point is he killed his limit and is using his daughter as an excuse to bag another deer.
Once he kills his limit, he has no tag and cannot be out there hunting.

There's always going to be losers that scam the system. Why punish the good guys by passing some blanket law?

Mentored youth cannot shoot does. If you tell them no doe and no bucks under 3X, they're not going to have too much success. I don't know about you guys, but I want my son to have some success.

Sounds like where you live, there's a lot of bad people. They should probably just outlaw hunting all together over there. Or stop selling pink shoes at the local stores.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Once he kills his limit, he has no tag and cannot be out there hunting.

There's always going to be losers that scam the system. Why punish the good guys by passing some blanket law?

Mentored youth cannot shoot does. If you tell them no doe and no bucks under 3X, they're not going to have too much success. I don't know about you guys, but I want my son to have some success.

Sounds like where you live, there's a lot of bad people. They should probably just outlaw hunting all together over there. Or stop selling pink shoes at the local stores.
bill on floor right now in pa to allow dads tag to be used for kids to shoot a doe.

I AGREE WITH THIS
,NOW MAKE IT DADS TAG TO SHOOT BUCK.

problem solved.

oh my will i hear crying on that one at home.
bad people are all over.but they dont feel they are bad.
our robo arrests a few years ago caught PILLARS of community.
ITS EVERYWHERE.
look at big time poachers arrested IN YOUR AREA. does that mean your area is full of bad people?no.same with my area.
its all over ,its just i know or want to know more of what is really going on.

Last edited by sproulman; 03-10-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

But why would you penalize a guy for taking his kids hunting?

He gets a tag with his mentored youth license and I get a tag with my adult license.

Trying to over-legislate to eliminate all wrong-doing only screws the law-abiding citizen.

It's something the anti-gun folks do. Outlaw every possible way someone could use a gun.

While we're at it, bring back prohibition and outlaw cars. Maybe we can stop all drunk driving.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Barnes, what tag? Is there a tag for mentored hunting? Previously there wasn't.
-Jake

Just looked it up, and yep, you're right. There's a tag now for $2.70 with a buck and turkey tag on it. I know the same thing happens in my area. Happens in Ohio too, we have no age for youth. Guys buy their kids tags and the kids never go out. I don't know a good solution to get around the problem, but it is a problem.
-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 03-10-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
JW
Super Moderator

The solution is to turn those people into your DNR if you suspect foul play.

Mentoring is the last phase of hunting and some of us never get there, to share, to teach, to put forward the tradition taught to us.

JW
Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

YOu can't turn them in PA. I've turned in several people. Nothing happens. Especially to the big farmers. We have a farmer that shoots deer out of his fields (Even fields he leases, not owns) all year long. I found two 8 points, a 7 and a 6 point early in the fall one year. Plus several doe. All the bucks were still in velvet and within 100 yards of the field edge. That tells me he's gut shooting them, they're running down into the woods and dying.

So i go through the necessary stuff to report this. Apparently no investigation was done, because I was on that property during rifle season and the racks and deer were still laying there. PA is a mess.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.