Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Truth on deer in pa. >

Truth on deer in pa.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Truth on deer in pa.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bill zerby
The deer herd has become very bad on public land making hunters spend alot more time in the woods.
I cant figure out whats so bad about spending more time in the woods. My public land buck taken the last friday of rifle season. {take notice Sproul the buck is legally tagged.}
Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bill zerby
I have to disagree that the antler restriction is working. The big buck were always here and we had alot of smaller buck that people would not pass up.The deer herd has become very bad on public land making hunters spend alot more time in the woods. As long as the hunters keep shooting the button bucks and doe our hunting will only get worse. The small rack are still getting shot. Most of the big bucks that are shot are on posted land not open to many people to hunt. If we as hunters want the good days of hunting back we must stop shooting the doe and small rack and button bucks to let them grow up to be the trophies we are hunting for.
The big buck have always been in PA, just not with the numbers there are. There's always 1 hiding out somewhere, but now there are more big rack buck in PA.
"The small rack are still getting shot. " - I don't disagree with this statement, however the small buck are less likely to be harvested now, than before the restriction. This is why I state the 3 pt restriction should actually be a 4 pt restriction state wide. There are large buck killed on public land every year. The hunters who are not shooting them aren't putting in the time and effort into hunting for them. You can't expect to walk onto the same plot of woods 100 other guys have already walked through and find bullwinkle right away. Although sometimes it's better to be lucky then good!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pats102862
I cant figure out whats so bad about spending more time in the woods. My public land buck taken the last friday of rifle season. {take notice Sproul the buck is legally tagged.}
yes,tag is in EAR not on the horns.very good.nice buck too.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Chochy
The big buck have always been in PA, just not with the numbers there are. There's always 1 hiding out somewhere, but now there are more big rack buck in PA.
"The small rack are still getting shot. " - I don't disagree with this statement, however the small buck are less likely to be harvested now, than before the restriction. This is why I state the 3 pt restriction should actually be a 4 pt restriction state wide. There are large buck killed on public land every year. The hunters who are not shooting them aren't putting in the time and effort into hunting for them. You can't expect to walk onto the same plot of woods 100 other guys have already walked through and find bullwinkle right away. Although sometimes it's better to be lucky then good!
i am very active member of USP.they are after doing away with anthler rest.rule no.2 in the lawsuit.i am not.
the reason they feel this way in MY opinion was the pgc felt if it was hard to get buck do to the restrictions on horns, WE WOULD SHOOT A DOE.
look at the video on the site i posted. there is 3 segments.
but the AR in my opinion is working if done right.

is it being done right? no.
5 yr old kids are shown with small bucks and big ones.no TAG is necessary.

do you think the girl in pink is shooting those buck at 21 degrees with sneakers on?no.thats first problem and a FREE tag also.

next, crews driving the deer with KIDS are shooting at any horns they see. they call on radio using SECRET codes that the adult shot the spike buck and a kid should come tag it.

WHAT IS KID LEARNING HERE?
HOW DO YOU FEEL WHEN YOU GO BY RULES AND HUNTERS HAVE WAY OF GETTING AROUND IT?i bet not very good.

to run the AR to make it work ,here is my view.

stop the MENTOURED KIDS program on shooting any buck under 3 points.THE ADULT MUST TAG THE MENTOURED KIDS BUCK WITH HIS TAG.that should get a lot mad at ole sproul as they were getting 2 or more FREE bucks, no taG NECESSARY.
kids 12/16 MUST shoot a buck with 3 points to side.no more DADDY not even looking at points and shooting and saying, JOHNNY COME TAG YOUR SPIKE BUCK.

is this happening,YES.........sad but this is only way i know to stop all this illegal and legal things that are not right.

next make doe permits only for KID .only KID can get doe permit in wmu2g.
if there were lots of deer in WMU2G of pa. i could see different options but from what i see,if rules are not changed, AR is not going to work because too much OUTLAWING is being done.

we are down to about 2dpsm in most of WMU2G.

Last edited by sproulman; 01-07-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Spike

I got a question on the title of this thread. Why would anyone expect us hunters to believe these videos are the truth, when the guy has so blatantly lied about things in his bio. Even when setting aside the rehashing of conspiracies from the past decade thruout the videos.

Let's be serious here for a minute. I'm not one to just believe anything and everything you read or see on the internet. There's way too much misinformation that been put out there, mainly the unified club. Sorry, just stating facts. Anyways, I took a challenge from some on a message board to do a search of this guy on the web and/or a few emails, and this appears to be another mountain lion attack gone bad. Here's what I've been able to find out about this guy.

-His claim about working for the game commission is false. They have no records of his employment and both current and retired personel have said they never heard of the guy.
-His claim about working for Penn State as a research scientist and ordering several studies done is false, according to PSU's history of their wildlife research unit. His only link was as a student.
-His claim about a newspaper article done on him as "the bear man" seems to be photo-shopped, as the newspaper company has no record of it.
-His claim of Dr. Alt worshiping him and he being the reason Alt choose to study bears has been defunked by the Dr. himself, who claims to not even remember the guy, plus the time frame is way off.
- His claim that he discovered how to age animal teeth by counting the rings is false, since records show biologists across the country had been using that techniques when Eveland would have still been in highschool.
-His claims of developing the game commissions Elk management plan is false and the only reference to Eveland in it is a study done during his time there as a student collecting data for PSU.
-His claim of developing the bear plan is false. Out of more than 60 pieces of scientific literature cited in the plan, only his thesis as a student was he mentioned.
-And exhaustive searches, including at the PSU library, by many people have turned up no mention of this guy in any scientific wildlife reports, citations, or studies.
-And it was pretty well known a few years back that him and a politician were caught trying to broker a backroom deal to use taxpayer money to have him do an audit, out of the light of day. He was later denied because of his bias. The sportsmen wanted a fair, out of state, unbiased company to do it.

So it appears this was a sham like the transmission fluid leaking mountain lions were and the politicians never fell for it. At least those I've talked to.
And there you have the real truth. Now I challenge you to do the same. Don't just take my word for it, as they would like you to do with theirs.

Last edited by MeatHunter2; 01-07-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

you say you have facts on this person.

being you have way of getting them could you possibly send him e-mail and get his RESPONSE to your info you obtained.

like judge judy said, its heresay if you got it from others,i like to hear his answer back to you.if this guy is fake,which i was told by allegheny sportsmans club that he is NOT,i would like to hear his answers to your info.

here is you tube presentation he did in pa.his whole bio is on here .guy does have impressive rec and confirmed info with people in state in all agencys.
just seems hard to belive after reading all this info and wathing the videos that mr.evaland could be some kind of hoax?

www.acslpa.org there is SELECT drop down board in middle to read his bio and what he has done.

thanks sproul

Last edited by sproulman; 01-07-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Spike

I'm not about to get into a back and forth and waste both of our times. It's predictable that he'd deny discrepancies. He's not going to all the sudden come clean because of some obscure message board thread on the internet called him out. The internet provides the anonymity to be or say anything. This is why I said don't just take my word, research him yourself. Provide us some opposing proof such as the glaringly absent mention of his supposedly vast amounts of ground breaking work among the scientific wildlife community. Give us the date of that alleged newspaper article. Provide a copy of his PGC management plans, as it should have PGC personnel mentioned all over it. Why doesn't he go to a PGC meeting and make his claims in public. I'm just looking for answers to give this guy some credibility. So far I've come up empty, as many others seemed to have as well.

Bottom line is he made the claims so the burden of proof is on him to back it up. The issue didn't gain the hoopla they expected and they've been eerily silent about it.

Funny how you'd believe his word on the internet but not Dr. Alt's word. Your bias is showing.

As Jerry McGuire says, "show me the money".
BTW, thanks for the civil reply. Have a good weekend and keep yer powder dry.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

never said i did not believe dr.alt .its hard to get PGC to come to meetings. i know, i invited many and had people who were like him there.
i was sitting with DR.ALT at meeting. i had state rep hanna with me.here is what he said to rep and me.SPROUL I WANT YOU TO KILL OLD DOE,WE HAVE GOT TO SAVE FAWNS.

rep hanna looked at me, he thought gary at time was very concerned over fawns and deer.
low did he know reason dr.alt said to kill old doe was because she is one that has 2 fawns.NOT ONCE DID HE EXPLAIN THAT BUT TRIED TO MAKE US FEEL HE HAD FEELING FOR THE DEER.

not to get off the topic to much. did you ever attend a QDMA meeting. you think mr.eveland is not creditable which many says he is, go to QDMA meeting.
not being smart, they are biggest bunch of fibbers you will ever come accross.so is dcnr reps that come from PENN STATE that take you out and count deer poo.
when they got caught at poo FIBBING it was stopped, no poo counts now.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny how you'd believe his word on the internet but not Dr. Alt's word. Your bias is showing.
Using that reasoning why would you or anyone else believe anything Dr. Alt or the PGC says. He is just a partial list of lies they told and the PGC data proves they were lies.

1. There was a problem with the B/D ratio and age structure of the buck herd.
2. Late bred fawns were due to not having enough bucks to breed the does.
3. Hunters would likely see more and larger buck than ever before due to ARs.
4. The buck harvest would return to normal after the first year of ARs but instead it dropped by 47%.
5. ARs would double the number of 8 pts, but they only increased by 17% not 100%.
6. ARs would increase breeding rates,productivity and decrease the breeding window, but there was no change after 8 years.
7. Forest regeneration would increase significantly as the herd was reduced, but 2 G is still rated poor with only 8-10 DPSM.
8. Hunters should pass on BB to improve the B/D ratio. BB harvests increased ,but the B/D ratio still improved.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Spike

I agree, that is a partial list of lies. But then your pretty well known for that Lawrence. Speaking of lies, can you address the many lies within Evelands bio. No one in 5 months has been able to substantiate any of his claims. Can you, with other than opinion or hearsay? Even the politicians are seeing thru his tall tales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.