HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   New York's New Crossbow...Regulations!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/336878-new-yorks-new-crossbow-regulations.html)

JLmoore1956 12-23-2010 06:21 AM

New York's New Crossbow...Regulations!!!

First let me say I am for it..... yes it does not give a special season, or during archery season, and can only hunt deer in shotgun areas.....

But hey it is a start. And I have heard some bickering and fussing and not enough.....well I think anytime you can get the politicans and others to change a rule that has been standing for a long time it is a small success. And a war wasn't won in one battle.

I think once they see the demand and that fears were not justified that changes can be made and it will be extended....

but we can't fight with each other we have to stand together. Otherwise we will loose the opputunity as it stands and will fall back instead of measuring in steps and moving forward. I am sure the other states had some issues of their own....but I think this is a right step forward!

And about time...................:cool2:

Terasec 12-23-2010 07:08 AM

harrisville, NY?
theres a town i dont see often,
Have a place down the road close to Nat bridge.

as for the new regs, agree its a start,
its a another tool hunters can use,
middle ground between bow and gun,

Bernie P. 12-24-2010 07:21 AM

This really sucks.

SteveBNy 12-24-2010 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bernie P. (Post 3747053)
This really sucks.

What sucks - that crossbows are now a legal hunting weapon or that they cannot be used with all other archery equipment in the bow season?

Bernie P. 12-25-2010 06:52 AM

Just being legal.It's the old incremental trapline.

SteveBNy 12-25-2010 08:28 AM

It sucks that a centuries old archery weapon is legal in gun season?
That's a stretch by any imagination.
It only sucks if compounds (45 yrs old) are still in the bow season.

sproulman 12-25-2010 03:38 PM

crossbows will increase hunters,we see it in pa now.many that could not shoot a bow are now hunting.ones that could are switching to crossbow.

8 bears were killed this year by same crew with crossbows in clinton county.before that,NONE.
CROSSBOWS can be picked up and after a few shots, you are good to go.dont let anyone think they are not that deadly.

they are....................

Pygmy 12-25-2010 06:49 PM

Sprouley... So what is your point...??...

If they are are a legal hunting implement, I sure as hell HOPE they are deadly...:biggrin:....

ModernPrimitive 12-26-2010 03:54 AM

Well, I don't know whether I'm for or against at this point but I will say this: I don't feel the length or duration of the seasons is the problem at this point; access to good quality, uncrowded hunting turf is-at least in my neck of the woods.
I've posted similar, and have had many such discussions regarding what I see as vanishing land access as larger tracts of land have been subdivided into much smaller, almost un-huntable,parcels over the years while many of the bigger, contiguous pieces of land seem to be "guarded" by the crewing hunting them. I know some local farms already lea$e by the season, and while I'm ore than willing to work for hunting rights- I don't like the pay-to-play arrangement.
So, while I think it's great that our largely immovable DEC even considers change of any sort, a bunch of us throwing more money into a new season would only benefit manufacturers & retailers as well as DEC coffers since I'm sure a new tag will cost, what, $20-$25. But w/ out good quality hunting turf available to the average guy, it won't do much else.
Of course, this is my .02, YMMV...

Bernie P. 12-26-2010 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by SteveBNy (Post 3747452)
It sucks that a centuries old archery weapon is legal in gun season?
That's a stretch by any imagination.
It only sucks if compounds (45 yrs old) are still in the bow season.

No.As I said it's now only a question of time before they're legal in bow season.