Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
New York's New Crossbow...Regulations!!! >

New York's New Crossbow...Regulations!!!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York's New Crossbow...Regulations!!!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ditto

Originally Posted by Avalanche
Not to stir up a Hornet's nest, but from the Crossbow owners I have talked to, all of them state that they intend to use the Crossbow during regular archery season anyway. DEC has cut back on Encon Officers so much, the chance of getting caught are going to be slim. Of course all the the Guys I have talked to have their own property, I'm sure if your hunting public land it will be more risky. I know one of the local Sporting Goods store has sold alot of Crossbows since Christmas.
A member of our club is in his sixties and has bow hunted his whole life, he has a tough time drawing his bow now and intends to use a Crossbow, if it allows him to continue to hunt and enjoy this sport, I feel he's earned that right.
I,ve herd the same thing around here .
I also herd they were already used last year , even before it was signed off ..
If there are outlaws out there ILLEGALY BAITING in NY . I,m sure there are outlaws Crossbow hunting , Probably as we speak .

Last edited by TRACKER; 01-26-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
...Esau from the book of Genesis was hunting venison with a bow..just shortly after the flood of Noah's ark.
So how is this relevant? I used Neanderthals as an example of how it doesn't take a lot of smarts to kill an animal with a bow and Jaderman simply and correctly pointed out that it was a poor example to use as Neanderthals didn't use the bow and arrow. So where ya goin Chuck?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

he has a tough time drawing his bow now and intends to use a Crossbow
during bow season?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good, I hope idiots like that go out, and use crossbows during archery illegally. Hopefully some get caught!!! I'll turn in everyone I see! They'll ruin it for good. I don't care what the circumstance is, there's NO excuse for it. Just shows the mentality of those types that wanted the crossbow! Its called Poaching.

Last edited by BuckAlley; 01-27-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Spike

New York state allows the use of the Draw-Loc for anyone at anytime. This device will bolt to any compound bow and locks the bow string at full draw. It has a working safety and an anti-dryfire lever. There are many hunters that use these things and they have been around for years. It is an inexpensive fix for your bad shoulders or such. check them out!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jag101
New York state allows the use of the Draw-Loc for anyone at anytime. This device will bolt to any compound bow and locks the bow string at full draw. It has a working safety and an anti-dryfire lever. There are many hunters that use these things and they have been around for years. It is an inexpensive fix for your bad shoulders or such. check them out!
This is incorrect, you can not use any type of device to hold a bow at fulll draw.

check the regs on pg 18 under manner of taking.

"it is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:... w/ a bow equipped w/ any mech. device which is attached to the bow for drawing holding or releasing the bow string..." (xcept for person w/ modified archery permit)
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default That would be a no .

Originally Posted by apex predator
I wonder if you could use crossbows during regular season in bow only wmu?
Crossbows are only going to be legal to use during any season EXCEPT regular bow season ...
So if its bow season in NY its bow only ...As of now anyways .
Old 01-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
This is incorrect, you can not use any type of device to hold a bow at fulll draw.

check the regs on pg 18 under manner of taking.

"it is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:... w/ a bow equipped w/ any mech. device which is attached to the bow for drawing holding or releasing the bow string..." (xcept for person w/ modified archery permit)

Your both incorrect. You can apply for a Modified Archers Permit that would allow devices such as draw locks attached to your bow. Its been available for many yrs. NYB has helped many many archers in obtaining the permit, and helping handicapped bowhunters setup their equipment for such use.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckAlley
Your both incorrect. You can apply for a Modified Archers Permit that would allow devices such as draw locks attached to your bow...
Hello? I already said that , try reading 1st
Old 01-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

i didnt go through the entire post
dont know if it was mentioned
but should be aware:
Special Training Requirements

Question: Are there any special training requirements before I can use a crossbow to hunt deer or bear?
Answer: Yes. The new law requires you to complete training in the safe use of a crossbow.
Question: Where can I obtain this training?
Answer: DEC will develop a training program for new hunters using the existing hunter education program. For current hunters, DEC will develop on-line and home study materials on crossbow safety. DEC will announce when these materials are available.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.