Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
New York's New Crossbow...Regulations!!! >

New York's New Crossbow...Regulations!!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York's New Crossbow...Regulations!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Spike

Wow thanks for blowing my post apart guys... Any way all I'm saying is I think there is more skill involved in shooting a modern day bow vs. A crossbow vs. A gun with a bow you there's more to it than just pulling a trigger... You worry about noise because you have to draw back then god forbid you move too much while drawing.. Or what if your rest clinks or your arrow un-knocks or you misfireyour trigger on your release at half draw then once drawn you gotta line up ur peep, find your pin control your breath and steady all before you can shoot.. And if you shoot fingers thats a whole other story( string pinching rolling the knock/peep,etc). I'm not against the crossbow I just don't think it should be applied to an archery season it should be in it's own season/ category.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any way all I'm saying is I think there is more skill involved in shooting a modern day bow vs. A crossbow
That's not all you said - you called hunters idiots.
There is a huge difference between shooting a recurve and shooting a 90% letoff with scope and a trigger. Still considered archery equipment, as is the crossbow and both should either be allowed.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sylvan
After all, neanderthals certainly managed it well enough so anybody who can kill a deer with any kind of modern archery tackle just ain't that awful darn clever in my book.
and just to set the record straight... Neanderthals had died off about 30,000 before the first bow/arrow was created. HUMANS created/used the bow... Just sayin.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
That's not all you said - you called hunters idiots.
There is a huge difference between shooting a recurve and shooting a 90% letoff with scope and a trigger. Still considered archery equipment, as is the crossbow and both should either be allowed.
I wasn't calling hunters idiots as I am one myself and that would stupid. And I don't shoot with 90 percent letoff - my bows almost 10 years old it's got almost 10 percent let off so YES, as you just proved, there is more skill involved. A crossbow is more related to a firearm... Stock, loaded projectile ready to fire at the pull of a trigger, capable of having an optic scope mounted on it... Sound familiar? It's in a different classification than a "bow".
Old 01-15-2011, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jaderman
and just to set the record straight... Neanderthals had died off about 30,000 before the first bow/arrow was created. HUMANS created/used the bow... Just sayin.
Well thanks for the history lesson but the point remains. If "any idiot can pick up a crossbow/gun and kill something" then "any idiot" can do it with a recurve or a compound too. As I said before, it sure doesn't take a whole lot of smarts to kill an animal with any kind of modern archery tackle and your disparaging remark regarding anyone who wants to do it with a cross bow was uncalled for and unjustified.

Last edited by Sylvan; 01-15-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jaderman
I wasn't calling hunters idiots...
Your post was clearly intended to portray "your hunting preference" as some kind of clever achievement while mere "idiots" can kill with a cross bow. Well, to use your words, "any idiot" knows that's what you meant! Why not just appologize for the derogatory comment and move on? To not want x-bows in the regular archery season is one thing, to degrade other hunters is quite another. Also, keep in mind that skill and intelligence are not the same thing. No one would argue that it doesn't require nearly as much skill to hit a 4" circle at 40 yards with a rifle as it would with a recurve but just because someone has developed the skill to do it with a recurve doesn't make him smart and the guy who hasn't an "idiot". If you want to wallow in pejoratives then "any idiot" can do either.

Last edited by Sylvan; 01-15-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by apex predator
I wonder if you could use crossbows during regular season in bow only wmu?
no sir you cannot
Old 01-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

dont want to be hijacking post in any way but pa has had the crosbow thing in now i think for at least 2 years or more.

if anyone wants to know what i see with crossbow from a lot of different views, drop me PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Not to stir up a Hornet's nest, but from the Crossbow owners I have talked to, all of them state that they intend to use the Crossbow during regular archery season anyway. DEC has cut back on Encon Officers so much, the chance of getting caught are going to be slim. Of course all the the Guys I have talked to have their own property, I'm sure if your hunting public land it will be more risky. I know one of the local Sporting Goods store has sold alot of Crossbows since Christmas.
A member of our club is in his sixties and has bow hunted his whole life, he has a tough time drawing his bow now and intends to use a Crossbow, if it allows him to continue to hunt and enjoy this sport, I feel he's earned that right.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Jaderman

The statement is wrong..Esau from the book of Genesis was hunting venison with a bow..just shortly after the flood of Noah's ark.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.