Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
New York's New Crossbow...Regulations!!! >

New York's New Crossbow...Regulations!!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York's New Crossbow...Regulations!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gun shots get heard in a much larger area than a bow. So the buck I'm drawn on will take off when the jerk 500 yards away blasts his deer with a rifle. NO THANKS!
LOl, That's one of the funnier things I've read on hear in awhile.

You obviously haven't been hunting long if you think deer will run under those conditions.

If you think a guys a jerk because he gun hunts, you might needd to look in the mirror.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Charlie...

Anyone who thinks a deer will spook at the sound of a gunshot a couple hundred yards away in the woods, has not spent much time hunting deer ....
Old 01-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

You're right, I haven't hunted in many years, but I know when I was hunting they would run at any little noise made, but maybe that was just the area i was in. besides that, would you want to deal with rifle hunters while shooting bow? maybe a rifle being fired at the same deer from the opposite direction? i have seen many stupid rifle hunters that make stupid shots, I don't want to be on the wrong end of that. If you do, well, we'll see you in the paper then.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gets more entertaining with each post.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wow

Originally Posted by sproulman
pa bowhunters felt the crossbow was more like gun than bow.they felt it should be for the regular gun season/late muzzleloader.
they lost. its now legal in regular archery season.

here is what i seen with crossbow in archery.

THIS IS ONLY TIME I SEE IT BEING USED, NOT IN GUN SEASON OR LATE MUZZLEOADER SEASON .
many, i mean many compound users gave up on their compounds and bought a crossbow.
they have 600 in compund bow,NOW 600 in crossbow.

1200 in 2 bows.
is crossbow making difference, yu bet it is.
i would say the kill has DOUBLED.hunters in woods in archery has now doubled.not NEW hunters just NEW archery hunters.
i never saw so many 5 year old girls with 12/14 point bucks as i have this year with CROSSBOW.dont laugh ALMOST ALL WERE 5/7 YR OLD KIDS AND A LOT OF GIRLS.
newspaper is FULL of pictures locally.

so crossbow is getting the 5 yr olds big bucks.some dads have 3 kids they take out at 5/8 yr old with crossbow at 21 degrees .
some use 308 win too but most i see in paper shot the huge bucks with crossbow.

problem now is not crossbow its ALL NEW KILLING OF DEER WHEN THERE IS FEW LEFT HERE IN WMU2G of pa..

lets hope that does not get to ny or you will be very sad.some of my friends now go to NY to shoot their doe.a few years ago they got lots of doe in NY.
now they want in-lines in late muzz season, lets just kill rest of deer off.
sad isnt it.
pa bowhunters KNEW that adding crossbow would increase the KILL and REDUCE chance of them getting a deer.you could call it greedy but MOST with lack of deer just did not want more hunters in woods while they are archery hunting.
THIS WAS THE REAL REASON WHY MOST OF THEM DID NOT WANT THE CROSSBOW IN EARLY ARCHERY.
i share that view also. i now have about 4 NEW archery hunters in my area that did not hunt archery.they are carrying crossbow.
so it caused me to not get buck this year. then throw inearly in-line season,ruined archery season for me when i had it fairly nice before.

only ones that seem to do good are 5 yr olds in pink with crossbow.

MAYBE I NEED TO GET SOME POINTERS FROM THEM
Some of the stories abought kids that young shooting big deer make me wonder .
Kinda like you 90 year old grandmother still able to fill all 3 tags to date , ( muzzleloader , bow , and rifle ) LOL..
I have no problem taking a kid hunting or a kid actualy being legal to shoot deer .
But 5 years old is a child.....
Glad NY. States age guilines are not that low....
Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Spike

I wonder if you could use crossbows during regular season in bow only wmu?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:03 AM
Spike

I agree with not letting crossbows be used during archery season Because it's seen as an unfair upgrade because there Is in my opinion very little skill involved rather than shoot a real bow. Any idiot can pick up a crossbow/gun and kill something. however I wouldn't mind a specific " crossbow season" maybe before archery or the last week of archery or hell even throw it at the end of muzzleloader season. Actually I wish they'd run deer season in the southern tier from early-mid September all the way to Jan 1 st rather than mid oct to mid dec. - the seasons too damn short

Last edited by Jaderman; 01-14-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jaderman
Any idiot can pick up a crossbow/gun and kill something.
Well any idiot can pick up a bow--be it recurve, compound or whatever and kill something with it as well. It sure doesn't take a whole lot of smarts. I've seen some pretty scruffy toohless throw backs with hardly enough sense to pour you know what out of a we know what with some pretty impressive bow kills on the wall. After all, neanderthals certainly managed it well enough so anybody who can kill a deer with any kind of modern archery tackle just ain't that awful darn clever in my book.

So lets drop the pompous attitude and just respect the purely human desire to do some hunting with whatever weapon one chooses and quit thinking one form is better than another cause they're not. It's all sport, and the point is to enjoy it in what manner you find best suits you. Let your choice make you happy and be happy for the other guy when his choice makes him happy.

Last edited by Sylvan; 01-14-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any idiot can pick up a crossbow/gun and kill something
Yeah in bow season maybe, IME gun season is a more challenging time to hunt than bow season. More hunter competition, and the rut is mostly over. The advantage of being able to shoot farther means little if youre not seeing much to shoot at?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is in my opinion very little skill involved rather than shoot a real bow.
You hunt with real bows - recurves and longbows?

Any idiot can pick up a crossbow/gun and kill something.
And any idiot can post on the internet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.