Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Vermont Deer Season >

Vermont Deer Season

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Vermont Deer Season

Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Vermont Deer Season

hey everyone i only got to hunt a few days in rifle because i was out at college. Didn't see alot. My mom, dad, and sister didn't see hardly any and they hunt all seasons. Just wondering what every one else saw.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I think it was a down year and wonder what the future holds for our Vt deer herd. Practically everyone I talked with said sightings were way down and I believe the kill was really off. Last year I got 2 bucks and a doe and this year it was only 1 doe but she was a big one and weighed 160 dressed. I would say there are going to be some changes coming with the rules and regs along with some new people running the department due to the election.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Saw some deer, mostly does with a few spikes thrown in. I think I would have done better, but the outlaws that border the land I hunt on have bait piles scattered everywhere. They own about 10 or so acres and got 5 or 6 bucks on opening weekend. I can just guess what they get the rest of the year. I'm at the point where I may have to get "lost" and wander over and start taking pictures. Sorry to vent. The hunting in Vermont is headed one way - downhill.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Dominant Buck

If it were me I would turn them in if you have proof they are baiting. That is the hard part of Vermont we have very few big woods anymore and what someone does on their little 10 acres of land can affect hunters all around. Baiting is now against the law and the very presence of it threatens to spread disease or worse yet CWD which can ruin the hunting for all of us. Our local warden would love to have a tip like that. Hunting over bait is an easy pinch for them.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

i completely agree with that. the deer hunting is going downhill fast. i think the should drop the season back to one buck a year, and allow doe harvest in only the areas that can handle it. the coyotes are taking way to many fawns out to keep shooting does. atleast down here in southern VT. Every i have talked to down here is saying they saw next to nothing. Hopefully some new laws come out that will help the herd rebuild
Old 12-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear you guys are having the problems you are in VT. I second the notion to report any illegal baiting just make sure they haven't posted the land or you could run into issue's though I think the Wardens may over see it in your favor. With the Coyote problem, that should give you guy's even more reason to get out and do some preditor control during the off season. I know I look foreward to it every year, I like hunting Coyote as much as Whitetails. Makes the winter go by faster and the action can be fast and furious once you get good at it.

Hope things work out better in the future for you guy's, hopefully it can only get better!

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 12-18-2010 at 02:32 PM.