Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY anyone going with the Muzzle loader? >

NY anyone going with the Muzzle loader?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY anyone going with the Muzzle loader?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

All day sit yesterday, Brrrrrr that was cold! Had a 4pt and a spike yearlings under my stand but let them pass, saw a couple more does way out but no shot. Did I mention it was cold?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Typical Buck

Just got back in. This may be my first dry season in quite a few years-I don't know what the deal is this season around here.
Archery season the deer were not even close to their "normal" patterns meaning timing,routes, bedding & feeding areas saw none of the normal traffic; I surmised the deer became nocturnal fairly early.
With the exception of this past Saturday I witnessed no rut behavior, chasing etc, which was odd.
Rifle I went out for 2 days but in this WMU it's buck only which 1) I heartily disagree with as a policy 2) Good luck after day two seeing anything let alone bucks during shooting hours.
Muzzleloader season saw some snowfall so it's been easier to pick up on where the deer are; the BIG question is when? Judging from the fact that the moon is so bright that I can't actually tell if the sun has set or not in the pm, I'd say these deer are feeding at night. That and the fact that a pre-dawn entrance finds nothing but deer walking around-this morning I opened the side door and there they were, 3 does @ 15 yards or so grazing on the hostas. That is frustrating.
I'll go to the bitter end, I'm sure, but already planning early archery & muzzleloading in the northern zone next Sept. It's that or eat tag soup I fear!
I now regret not taking advantage of the shot opportunities I have had...
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Hunted a ton this yr shot 7 pt during bow have not had a deer close enough to shoot w/ gun very disturbing this includes muzzleloader Kid did ok but not me really slow in my neck of the woods. Guys that always do well coming up w/ goose eggs
Old 12-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Got her last night with the smokepole
Attached Thumbnails NY anyone going with the Muzzle loader?-muzzleloader_doe.jpg  
Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
Got her last night with the smokepole
Awsome Nice shot!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Awsome Nice shot!
Thanks! It was my first with a muzzleloader and second ever
Old 12-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Got this nice Otsego County 8 point on Saturday. Biggest buck I've taken to date, first with my brand new Encore and first with a muzzleloader. I have heard a lot of people in NY say that they have had a slow season but it has been an above average one for me personally.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to the guys who scored during ML. I went out this morning didnt even see a deer, tough sitting too these past few hunts BRRRRRRR! Freeze your nads off cold! Im totally depressed now though another seasons over cant even duck hunt cause evrythings ice! Aw well guess Ill have to go back to work LOL cant wait till next year!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Congrats to the guys who scored during ML. I went out this morning didnt even see a deer, tough sitting too these past few hunts BRRRRRRR! Freeze your nads off cold!!
When I got that doe it was about 15, but there was no wind and sitting on that bucket all bundled up it was nice. The ol woolrich did it again
Old 12-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Typical Buck

That's all folks...goose egg for me-first time in a few years!
Did a mini-push through some pines to a buddy of mine on Monday as I knew there were deer day-bedding in there but couldn't get to 'em myself.
They exited low as I expected but at a dead run which caught my shooter by surprise. He did shoot his ole' CVA mountain rifle .50 loaded w/ a maxiball, LOTTA hair but no blood. We tracked her for 1000 yds or so, but no still no blood; she was a teflon deer.
So, I'll fire mine off today, and look forward to next season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.