Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Scenario - need some advice on what you would do. >

Scenario - need some advice on what you would do.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Scenario - need some advice on what you would do.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scenario - need some advice on what you would do.

So i have been hunting this state land out in Long Island. I have not had much luck as I do not know the area that well. i did some scouting and here is the scenario, any advice or tips would be appreciated. Basically the land has a giant bog/swamp on it. The swamp is probably about 7 or 8 acres big. The swamp buts up against a road which is where I park. I walk around the swamp and then behind the swamp is about 10 acres of some thin hardwoods of oak trees and Pine trees but the ground has very thick tangled brush everywhere. I dont know what you call that stuff but its about 3 feet high and extremely tough to walk through. There are trails that run through that thick stuff down to the swamp. I had been set up on the edge of the swamp where i found a few shredded pine saplings and a couple of old scrapes but i did not see much. Now behind that 10 acres of woods and thickets is a huge open grassy field. I would say its about 3 football fields big. It looks like long whitish dry grass that has been bent over and pushed down. I have not hunted that field yet. So heres my question. I always see deer come out into fields, golf courses, open areas at sunset. I assume they are feeding in those fields. Those fields usually look like they are greener. How would i know if they are feeding in this dry grassy field. Do they eat dried grass?? Where would you set up if you were me? Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

well, I'm certainly interested in the advice you'll receive, been asking myself the same for years now!
Me, I prefer the thick stuff but generally succumb to curiosity and set up near the edges where I can at least get a glimpse of the fields.
Generally if I'm in the thick the deer are mid-field,midday; if I'm overlooking the fields invariably someone I know hung a tag up in the thick pines!!
Is it a field or more of a marsh?
Are you in a treestand?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

The grassy field is a field not a marsh. I hunt from the ground. I know its alot tougher but it's just something i love to do. I love the challenge.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 AM
Spike

I don't know of any state land on Long Island that looks like the area you are describing...I do know of private land that looks like it to a "t"....a little off topic, but is this actual "state" land, or just land that doesn't have a posted sighn on it? They are not the same thing. If it is not actual state land, you need to get the landowner info and get written permission to be there...
To answer your question, I have found that deer on LI go mostly nocturnal after the first few days of the season, so bedding areas are where you should be to catch them coming and going. I hunt from the ground also...shots are few and far between....Rich
Old 11-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Yes it is 1000% State Land. Its one of the Otis Pike Preserve Spots. I thought deer bedded in thicj brush as opposed to grass. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Spike

I will bet they are not bedding in grass on LI... best guess would be that swampy stuff you are describing or heavy pines where they can lay down and watch thier backtrail. Rut will be winding down soon, and they will go back to thier previous habits of moving from feeding to bedding areas....
Old 12-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

I would be in before dawn to set in between the pines and the field, or the pines and the swamp...would depend on where I was seeing activity.
In the evening, I'd be setting in near the same place, downwind, on a path.
During the day, I might try to jump them out of the swamp if I was hunting with a couple buddies I trusted not to put a round in MY bum....
Old 12-02-2010, 05:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by longislandhunter
Yes it is 1000% State Land. Its one of the Otis Pike Preserve Spots. I thought deer bedded in thicj brush as opposed to grass. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks

Is this off of line road or sound road entry?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

It is on river road right off of grumman blvd.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Spike

Invest in some trail cameras, and set them up in late summer and stay out of the area for a couple of weeks then go check them. You only jump a mature buck 1 time. If you jump him in late summer he will go back to his old ways again before hunting season. Sounds like you have the area to yourself, because no one knows where it is. GOOD LUCK