Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
#2 in the WORLD and a new PA State Record Black Bear >

#2 in the WORLD and a new PA State Record Black Bear

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

#2 in the WORLD and a new PA State Record Black Bear

Old 11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bear even had a name, they called him Bozo
Attached Thumbnails #2 in the WORLD and a new PA State Record Black Bear-bozo12.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
The controversy is all ready starting about this bear. On another site.

Apparently there are several questions about the kill.

There was an old man that fed the bear for 16 years after its mother was killed by a car,

There are pictures of the old man hugging the bear on that other site. One of the party involved is there to digging himself into a hole.

The PGC is investigating it.

I guess everyone in the area knew about the tame bear and it seems the group of hunter that killed him may have known that also.

I think there are also some questions about safety zones.

I'm not sure what is heresay and what is fact but from what I've read, the story is starting to stink. It may make all hunters look bad in the end.

Just knowing that this bear has been fed by an old man for 16 years and then shot by someone taking advantage of it being tame, sickens me.

Well, I hope they get what's coming to them. We had a similar incident in WV about 10 years ago. They supposedly got a world record bear out of Dolly Sods, but the taxidermist noticed it's pads were completely smooth. Come to find out they raised the bear in an enclosure and then killed it when it hit it's max size.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:18 AM
Typical Buck

Nice white v in the front also. IMHO there is no such thing as a tame bear running around in the wild or in captivity for that matter. A bear that size not afraid of humans running around a populated place as the poconos is a recipe for disaster. I'am not condoning taking the low road to harvesting that bear but sooner or later he would have been a problem, a big problem.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree pats that bear was going to be a problem one way or the other. But now it appears as though it may be a black eye for sportsman the way it was killed. For instace the old man reportedly fed the bear twinkies, and the story goes that the hunter was eating twinkies and drinking soda and the bear ran over and splashed blood on them after the shot....

Its a shame, I was and still am hoping it all turns out to be on the up and up. He is a true giant of a bear.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Friggin pathetic bunch of hunters.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

wow. the archerytalk link is down but I found this one http://bullcreekblog.blogspot.com/20...aken-with.html

I would LOVE to believe this is real as I hunted up that way for 10 years before moving and have family in that area. I hope the rumors arent true but in this day, I guess the odds are in fact that they are
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

Oh, and 9 shots with a crossbow?!?!?!?! What the hell! I have a hard time hearing that and not getting pissed
Old 11-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
The controversy is all ready starting about this bear. On another site.

Apparently there are several questions about the kill.

There was an old man that fed the bear for 16 years after its mother was killed by a car,

There are pictures of the old man hugging the bear on that other site. One of the party involved is there to digging himself into a hole.

The PGC is investigating it.

I guess everyone in the area knew about the tame bear and it seems the group of hunter that killed him may have known that also.

I think there are also some questions about safety zones.

I'm not sure what is heresay and what is fact but from what I've read, the story is starting to stink. It may make all hunters look bad in the end.

Just knowing that this bear has been fed by an old man for 16 years and then shot by someone taking advantage of it being tame, sickens me.

as you said. this was bear that was almost like a pet even tho it was not in cage and roamed around area.yes he was there for 17 years .he would sleep in yards and play in swimming pools in area .his mother was in car wreck and BOZO liver near LEROYS HOME.

yes ,you could hug him,LEROY did many times.
was this ethical hunt and kill. NO WAY .was it illegal to kill a bear that was tame ?i dont think so unless it was baited or was in safety zone etc..
so this kill the hunter should not be proud. also shooting 7 or more arrows in bear, thats a disgrace and shows type of hunters that were shooting at BOZO.

i have bear in my yard as we speak. he is very tame. i would not ever think of shooting him.but some would and feel great.
this is what happened in this situation.

this bear was well known in area.he used to sleep 20 yds off road upside down ,feet in air snoring in shade on hot day.he would get up on his hind legs and wave at cars going by while he rubbed his back on a pole.
so that is great kill to be recorded in history.
TAME RECORD BEAR SHOT IN PA.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bionicrooster
I agree pats that bear was going to be a problem one way or the other. But now it appears as though it may be a black eye for sportsman the way it was killed. For instace the old man reportedly fed the bear twinkies, and the story goes that the hunter was eating twinkies and drinking soda and the bear ran over and splashed blood on them after the shot....

Its a shame, I was and still am hoping it all turns out to be on the up and up. He is a true giant of a bear.
THAT twinkie/soda THING IS VERY STRANGE?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sproulman
as you said. this was bear that was almost like a pet even tho it was not in cage and roamed around area.yes he was there for 17 years .he would sleep in yards and play in swimming pools in area .his mother was in car wreck and BOZO liver near LEROYS HOME.

yes ,you could hug him,LEROY did many times.
was this ethical hunt and kill. NO WAY .was it illegal to kill a bear that was tame ?i dont think so unless it was baited or was in safety zone etc..
so this kill the hunter should not be proud. also shooting 7 or more arrows in bear, thats a disgrace and shows type of hunters that were shooting at BOZO.

i have bear in my yard as we speak. he is very tame. i would not ever think of shooting him.but some would and feel great.
this is what happened in this situation.

this bear was well known in area.he used to sleep 20 yds off road upside down ,feet in air snoring in shade on hot day.he would get up on his hind legs and wave at cars going by while he rubbed his back on a pole.
so that is great kill to be recorded in history.
TAME RECORD BEAR SHOT IN PA.
In my mind, hunting ethics > hunting laws

If I can't feel good or be honest about the hunt and the harvest, then I don't want the trophy, it defeats the purpose. But then again I am out there for the hunt, the battle of wits and tactics. Sadly, some people will never even understand that aspect of hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.