HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NY rut activity? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/334233-ny-rut-activity.html)

ABarOfSoap 11-15-2010 03:16 PM

NY rut activity?

I hunt in Sullivan county 3h area, so far up to this last weekend, i have seen 0 rutting activity, just rubs which ive been seeing since the start, also very very slow deer activity, only seen 3 deer this bow season... You guys seeing anything?

monkeyman2269 11-15-2010 03:39 PM

it was 4 days long around here now i see a buck chase a doe every once in a while

MICHAELHUNTER 11-15-2010 04:30 PM

I'm in Putnam County, same here, very little rutting activity. Only a few small bucks. Hopefully it will pick up soon.

MikeTark 11-15-2010 04:53 PM

Where we been hunting in Herkimer county alot of fresh scrapes and rubbs last week huntin buddies seen small guys chasing.. So im guessing it gonna get started here within the next week or so...

TRACKER 11-15-2010 05:27 PM

Same here except

I here some guys claim its on now and the big boys are locked down with the doe in heat ,
I dont believe this is true , espesialy in my area .
I see with no BS, on average 10 does and or fawns .
That means at times I see 4 or 5 and at times 25 plus ..
Only bucks I,ve seen are 2 or 3 different spike horns and on 2 different ocasions last week , they were chasing a doe around ,
With this many does around , if the does were in heat there would shorley be some bigger bucks around getting first dibs on them ..
I,m guessing this week it will pick up .
I admit I like the weather to be in the 20,s at night and 30,s in the day to keep them moving a little more .
Its warmed up again here and I think it slows them down ,,

ABarOfSoap 11-15-2010 07:50 PM

It would be nice to have the rut going during opening weekend, last year we got a nice 8 point on the opening Saturday with an insanely puffed up neck, maybe it will happen again

ButchA 11-16-2010 04:41 AM

I've heard from numerous sources that the rut is a week late this year. Whether or not that's true, I don't know...

I'm down here in Richmond Virginia and haven't seen a freakin' thing - that's why I am heading back up to central New York (area 7M) in a few days to try hunting up there instead.

bigscott 11-16-2010 08:14 AM

.. i have seen a few very nice bucks locked down with doe ..

my buddy walked up to a very large 8 point almost got within bow range because he refused to leave the doe ..

seen alot of buck activity last few days

TRACKER 11-16-2010 05:23 PM

Finaly seen a rack

After all the does and small bucks , this morning I spotted a nice racked uck .
He was over 600 yards acroos a green field .
He came out exactly where a doe and fawn came out an hr earlier .
He ate very little melled the ground and looked like he was on a mission although he was not head to the ground and walking in a straight line .
I grunted a couple times and he looked and started heading in another direction .
I rattled my rattle bag a little and he started my way but not straight at me .
He got to abought 350 to 400 yards and was heading back in the woods traveling through some 3 foot high grass .
ell I tride a little more light rattling , it appeared to be working.
I tried ranging him one last time before he stepped into the woods but there was thick brush between us so I guesstimated 350 yards and NO shot ..AAArrrghh...
I figured he was comming right to me so I just patiently waited and watched and waited and waited and nothing .
I had some tinks 69 out so I,m sure the way the wind was blowing he originaly smelled it and thats what drew him out from the other side .
I staid another 3 hrs, Took a slooowww walk in the direction I last seen him and seen nothing ..
Went back a couple hrs later and made a scent drag a few hundred yards long , NO LUCK ,,,,
Well it suppose to rain heavy with high winds tonight until 7 am ..
I may or may not go in the morning depends on the wind ..
Heres to hoping...:biggrin:

TopH2O 11-19-2010 04:36 PM

Many predictions have the rut peaking the 17th, with heavy activity over the next week.