HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   NY Gun Season Opener! (Tactics?) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/334224-ny-gun-season-opener-tactics.html)

bayrat 11-15-2010 12:53 PM

NY Gun Season Opener! (Tactics?)

Ok, so this is my forth gun season since I took a Haidas from hunting in my early twenties. My question is for you guys what tactics will you try for this opening day I know I have varied tactics from year to year depending on how the rut fell on opening day.

My thinking this year is opening day will fall on the down turn of the rut so there are many variables to ponder do I use a call, which kind, do I use some tinks 69 or will this keep the does away, drippers, draggers, locations, tree stand, still hunting etc...... it is enough to make you really lose your mind!!!! That is why I think this year I am not gonna over think it, I will go to my old faithful tree stand that is located in the woods a few hundred yard in from a field and put the time in and let the deer dictate to me their behavior and adjust my tactics from there.

What tactics are some of you experts using out there?

30-06 deerslayer 11-15-2010 02:02 PM

If I were you I would forget the doe in heat even though some places may see the end of the rut still going on.If you are after a buck or doe it may make a doe skittish and she could have a nice buck with her.I would concentrate on escape routes during the day and maybe feeding places at the end of the day.I have found out over the years patience and staying in one place will pay off rather then getting anxious and running all over the place trying everything in the book to score.If you know your hunting area you should know where deer want to go when pressured, and that is where I would sit tight untill something happens.another thing I learned the hard way, deer will move and be seen around 11:00 to 1:00 because hunters leave the woods to take a lunch break and return to go back in the woods at those times and move deer without knowing it.good luck to you this year.

MICHAELHUNTER 11-15-2010 04:37 PM

I agree with 30-06, just get in your stand in the morning and stay there. I stay in all day on opening day and see deer movement all day.

MikeTark 11-15-2010 04:57 PM

Im no expert but I agree with both replys imma jump in my climer and sit just about all day let the other hunters push the deer around... most guys sit till 9 or so then start walking around best bet is to sit and wait... good luck!

TRACKER 11-15-2010 05:18 PM

All depends

I,m hoping for the rut to still be in full swing for the Southern tier gun opener ..
I usualy try a dripper abought 50 yards or so from my stand .
I,ve seen it work many times qand have also shot does wondering by .
But I admit I,m a little ervous abought spooking does , I have seen this happen also ..
My new tactic is I use a tree stand at a funnel point between oaks above me and pines below .
Most times I have good look morning and evening hunts , BUT last couple years I ve used the tree stand in the am and a pop open ground blind below the pines thet has a nice green fresh cut field that usualy draws the deer in to feed ...
If I have a buck and doe tag I can let the does feed for a while to see if a buck steps in , if not then fill my doe tag ..
I ve been there a few years when the rut was in full swing ,,
Whether I get a shot or not there nothing like seeing the buck chasing, grunting and battling for the does ..:biggrin:

bigscott 11-16-2010 08:23 AM

i believe rut will be winding down aswell as i have seen some nice bucks locked up with doe last couple days .. i have few more days to get it done with the bow .. wont change my tatics much for gun .. well except i will put away my decoy

accman 11-16-2010 08:43 AM

In our camp, 25 guys will be doing the same thing that they do every year, sit and wait. The first few days of the opener, everyone gets to the camp early, we all head up in the quads together and get set by 5:30 and don't head out till 5:00 at night. Some guys will use tinks, some won't. Some guys will be grunting, bleating, and sometimes even rattling, others will just sit and wait. We'll call each other on the radio all the time. "Hey, Mike, 3 headin your way", "Hey, Who Shot?", and when it's quiet and nothing goin on, you'll hear a couple of grunts, wheezes, & bleates over the radio just to laugh and pass the time. And by the end of the first day, we exchange what worked and what didn't work and get ready for the next day.
I tend to like the second week, when you sit the morning, a lot of the guys come out at 10:00 and go back at 1:00, and I get to walk around, and stalk with my son. I'll tell him which way I'm headed, and he goes his way, and it always seems to kick up deer when they just don't seem to be moving. Good luck to all and remember, This weekend is national Lager and Margarita time, do your best to uphold your great traditions and bend an elbow or two or three for the cause.

huntography 11-19-2010 10:16 AM

I used to go way back high on the ridges, away from other hunters by some thick cover w/ some good sign for entry and exit. I'd set up there and wait all day if need be. I'd see action almost every opening day.....

Each piece of land is different as is the hunting pressure so hopefully you had enough time to scout the area out not only for deer sign and movement patterns but for hunter access points as well.

Good tomorrow guys!