Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY Coydogs and deer >

NY Coydogs and deer

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Coydogs and deer

Old 11-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default NY Coydogs and deer

Well I had not seen a coydog al season , Our NY early bow started Sept, 27th Ive been hunting almost everyday since .
We have 2 weeks of bow , one week of muzzleloader and then rifle goes until first week of Dec,
Anyways as I said not a coydog around until I started using tinks 69.
Abought a week ago at prime time early morning out pops a coydog , from the woods and into the field .I let him walk .
Then a couple days later almost same time same place , out pops what looked like the same coydog ( hes big ),I let him walk .
Then yesterday same thing ,I let him walk .
But Next time he wont .
So this morning I,m sitting in my stand, 20 minutes after light I here crack , snap etc, in the woods comming at an angle towrds me ,
I,m thinking November 7th here comes some deer . NOPE ...
Here comes on a dead run 2 coydogs .
I reach down in my bag and grap my rabbit in distress call , but no luck,, I only seen 2 fawns abought an hr later ...
This afternoon I tried another stand ,
Well abought the last 1/2 of prime time something cought my attention abought 80 yards away,
Yup you guessed it a coydog,
He was trying to drag something, and after looking threw my scope I notice it was a dead deer .
Well this time it wasnt so lucky.
One shot from my Browning 270 short mag and he was done .
I hated to shoot at prime time but enough was enough .
After looking at the deer I figure its been dead foe at least a week or so .
IT had all itsd bone structure, most of its hide but all internals and meat were eaten .
Not realy sure if it was a muzzleloader deer shot and not found , poached, hit by car or ?
Not a lot of hunters in my area , at least that close by me .
I usualy get some a$$ dropping off a couple deer carcases in the ditch of edge of my property that real atracts the coydogs ..
Sorry just vamping I guess ..
Suppose to be prime time aound here to tag a nice buck , but things like this realy plays havoc on your hunt...
Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

coydogs are extinct. only coyotes around here anymore. no hybrids. And we got lots of 'em.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

We take em any chance we get. If it's opening day, and out pops a coyote, it's history. Chances are, deer in the area already know he's around and you may not see anything anyway. Take em out and better your chances for another day.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience,coyotes have little if any impact on deer movement.Two mornings in a row I had coyotes yipping and howling exactly where I planned on hunting.I ended up seeing multiple deer both mornings and harvested deer both mornings.The effect of coyotes on deer is way over stated.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

i seen some big mofos
Old 11-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

I didnt think there were coydogs around. I havent seen too many coyotes this year however one morning I could hear them all around my stand. Pretty erie sounding in the darkness.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default 2nd down

This morning was looking like a great day to hunt ,
It was 22 degrees , clear , ice and heavy frost .
So qiuet I could here the train miles away .
Well started out as no deer sightings witch is very unusual for me anyways .
After daylight I hung a tinks 69 canister out the window and had one on the ground ..
Well 1/2 hr or less after sunrise out popsa coydog abought 500 yards away ,
He heads almost straight for me , smelling the air and looking around ..
Last thing I wanted to do was wake up the woods at 630 in the morning ,PRIME TIME deer time ..
Well the coydog ends up turning to my left abought 300 yards out .
Then he decides to head for the woods abought 200 yards to my left ..
Now I new why I didnt see a deer ..
In my experiance if theres a coydog around there are NO deer around ..
I,ve seen a pack of just 3 coydogs go after a beef calf .
Well he made his mistake ,,
Old 11-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

While it is possible for a coyote to mate with a dog, it is extremely rare. There are packs of them running around. Dog is a coyote food source for the most part.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Are you sure it's not just a domestic dog that has recently gone farrel? People mistake them for the so called coydog all the time. The inner city of Detroit has tons of them. I watched a show about them not to long ago and some do look a lot like what people consider a coydog, especialy if they have had a couple generations of pups born in the wild. If enough generations are born, the domestic dog will resort back to a wild state like they once were before becoming domesticated by humans. Therefore, there would had to have been a large number of farrel dogs around for a long time in order for them to breed with a coyote. It is extremely rare if not impossible "these days" for a few recently domestic dogs turn farrel and a coyote to breed. You have to remember all K9 species are "pact" animals and for these dogs to intervein with a pact of coyote's would be a death sentence. So unless were you live there has been a problem with farrel dogs for a number of years it is highly unlikely it is a coydog. Now a "Coywolf" I would be more apt to believe!! The Northeastern coyote & the Canadian Gray wolf is a new hybrid species that is now starting the evolve here in the extreme Northern parts of the US.

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 11-13-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DougE
In my experience,coyotes have little if any impact on deer movement.Two mornings in a row I had coyotes yipping and howling exactly where I planned on hunting.I ended up seeing multiple deer both mornings and harvested deer both mornings.The effect of coyotes on deer is way over stated.
Doug your exactly right! Coyotes are “opportunistic feeders” and unless a deer is sick and dieing or wounded or it is a helpless newborn fawn with mother nowhere in sight, they won't bother the deer and the deer know that. The Coyote typically won't take down a deer or farm animal unless it knows it can. They usually show up in fields looking for rodents, rabbits, fruits, veggies or whatever the can eat. The biggest impact on Deer with Coyote is in the spring when the fawns are born. That is why most F&G will ask hunters to take as many as they see, unless there are too few Coyote in a given area and normally there is not. The Coyote is essential to the eco-system and must never be eradicated. They help keep the woods clean! Unlike the “Wolf”, they all most never hunt in pacts; they use what is called a “scout”. When a scout finds a food source large enough such as a dead or wounded deer, they howl to round up the pact. This is why the Wolf unlike the Coyote was and is a serious threat to the Deer population and was nearly killed to extinction except for the extreme Northern most parts of the US.

To hunt a Coyote is to know one first!

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 11-13-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.