Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Hunters

Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Spike

Default PA Hunters

I have been out alot this bow season and havent seen any big boys yet, just woundering if everyone else has the same reaction? Comeing down to the final week amd 1/2
Old 11-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted the early b/p doe season and saw 6 diff bucks and no does opening day from the same stand on public land.Did'nt see a doe until wed same stand.Out hunting squirrels last evening saw 2 does and a button buck same stand.I dont hunt with a bow because I'm handicapped and cant draw 1 other wise my season would be over with.
Going to Va on monday for a week of b/p cant wait.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Called in 7 bucks so far, all dinks. I know the big boys come through there, I catch them on the trail camera. just need to be out there as much as possible.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Kolbysdad,

I am right with you. Me and about 5 of my buddies are beating our head in trying to figure out whats going on. Slowest year ever for us. Lots of chasing by smaller bucks, but no shooters. We have them on trail cam and know they are in the area, but just arent seeing them during hunting hours. Could be a late rut, could be hunting pressure. Lots of variables, but nothing like last year. Im hoping things pick up in the next 10 days.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

But others on this site say your antler restrictions are working because they shot a big one. You guys must be looking in all the wrong places.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

APRs always increase the percentage of 2.5+ buck in the harvest ,but due to herd reduction, in many areas both the total number of bucks and the number of 2.5+ buck have decreased significantly. This year I haven't seen a buck in our area of 5C since the second week of Sept. I haven't seen any rutting activity and I haven't seen a fresh rub or scrape the last two weeks. But judging by the size of a few of the old rubs,there is one nice buck in the area,however if no one gets to see him it doesn't do anything to improve the quality of hunting in our area.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The PGC isn't responsible for providing a high deer density on your 40 acres.Maybe expand your horizons,give that area a break and stop complaing about the poor hunting on one tiny spot.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

But are they responsible for managing the entire herd to provide for the sportsmen. Just because you think one area is over hunted does not give you the right to tell others where to hunt. He is just stating what other hunters in area 5C are saying and that is that the PGC has allowed the area to be over harvested. And then you say it is not the PGC's fault but the hunter. You just prove why hunters are not getting anywhere lately because they are to darned busy picking on fellow sportsman instead of helping to find solution to the problems that exits. So DougE I am glad you are such a ahigh and mighty hunter that you can go anywhere you want but many hunters are very limited in there time and available hunting area. Thank you for seeing it through his eyes and trying to put your standards of huntign on all PA hutners.
So now would you please be so kind to provide the funds, time and prime hunting area you want all these hunters to go too. Now you can try and tell me where I am wrong but like you I will not listen. Typical antler bone hunter only after the racks.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
The PGC isn't responsible for providing a high deer density on your 40 acres.Maybe expand your horizons,give that area a break and stop complaing about the poor hunting on one tiny spot.
The hunting isn't poor in just one tiny spot as you claim. It is poor in many areas of 5C and in many other WMUs.

If I give the area a break will you guarantee that the 121,960 other hunters that have doe tags for 5C( 125 tags PFSM). will give the area a break. We haven't harvested a doe in the past 5 years,isn't that giving the area a break? While you are benefiting from the loss of 200K deer hunters in just 9 years ,we aren't that lucky,so don't tell me what to do when you have no idea what the conditions are in 5C.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to be kidding me.First of all,BT has been banned from practically every message board multiple times for hijacking every thread and throwing personal attacks at anyone who disagrees with him.It's beyond laughable for anyone to say Bt IS GETTING PICKED ON.

Second,why anyone would scout at the end of the season before they determined there were few deer is beyond me.Along those same lines,it's ridiculous for someone to hunt an areas previously scouted that has little sign or few deer.Once again,it's not up to the PGC to see that the deer herd is spread evenly accross the state.I have areas that are deadly one week and a complete bust the next.The deer follow the food and as one food source dries up,they move on to greener pastures.They may not have to move far but you can't expect them to stay on BT's back forty all year long.

I have less time to hunt then most people.This year,I hunted 4 saturdays and hunted before work three times and I had to be out of the woods by 8:00am.Other than the first day of rifle season,I haven't taken a vacation day to hunt since 2003.I also live in 2G which has the lowest deer densities of any WMU in the state.I find and kill multiple deer on public land every single year.It's not hard.The hunting is still good but you have to be flexible andunderstand what deer need at different times of the year.Sitting in the same spot year after year,expecting to see dozens of deer by noon isn't gonna cut the mustard any more.Hunting was way too easy for too long and far too many hunters still expect it to be that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.