Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Decoy

Old 11-02-2010, 03:15 AM
Spike

Default Decoy

I have been seeing this bruiser of a buck come waltzing through the middle of a field several times over the last few weeks but just will not come in to any of my stands. Sunday I was at full draw on another big buck when he started his march and saw this other buck. He started coming over towards him and the buck I was drawing on ran like the wind. Has anyone ever used a 3D target as a decoy and if so did you use it with or without antlers. I am thinking that with the rut approaching I may remove the antlers and stink it up with some Tinks 69. anybody got any suggestions?????
Old 11-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's worth a try. However, why not "stink it up" with doe in Estrous scent instead of Tinks 69? Make sure you are wearing gloves when putting out the decoy, and spray it down with a scent neutralizer too. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Spike

i actually like a buck decoy over a doe -- seem to get more attention
Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Specially in a field situation, I'd go with a buck 3d over the doe just for the way a buck reacts to it. It will slowly come around it, puff up, and stomp as it walks. It may attact without you getting a shot depending on where you put it, but it would be definitely worth a shot.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

i dident think you could use a decoy in ny
Old 11-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by monkeyman2269
i dident think you could use a decoy in ny

Hey Brother yeah you can use a decoy in New York, but don't worry about those DEC Regs. Man when your bow hunting you can do anything. I hunt with apples, corn, grains, honey, and I even trapped and chained up a doe under my tree stand one year and waited till she went into heat and you should have seen the bucks that came in. Something else you may want to try is hunting at night, get yourself some nice night vision goggles and have at it, Hell it's not like someone gonna hear you shoot !!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The Livingston County Killer !!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

i dont get it is it illigel lol?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by monkeyman2269
i dont get it is it illigel lol?
per the D.E.C. book

Q: Is it legal to use decoys and electronic calls to hunt deer?
A:
Both decoys and electronic calls are legal to use for deer hunting in NY. You should exercise caution when transporting a deer decoy to and from the locations in the field. Some hunters wrap a strip of blaze orange material around the decoy when carrying it.
Q: Can I use an electronic call for coyote and other furbearer hunting?
A: Yes. You may NOT use an electronic call for turkey, ducks or geese.
Q: What types of attractants are legal for deer hunting?
A:
You may use cover scents and lures, such as doe urine, for deer hunting. However, it is illegal to place a salt block or mineral lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year. It is also illegal to feed deer. Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant. These types of produces would not be legal.