HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Can you take a kid hunting with you? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/332239-can-you-take-kid-hunting-you.html)

buckdropper 10-19-2010 02:38 PM

Can you take a kid hunting with you?

A friend wants to take his kid in the stand with him. Can this be done or is it illegal???. His kid is 10 and will only be there to learn hunting skills (no hunting, just sitting)

JonnyNov 10-19-2010 03:05 PM

A twist on that question would be does a person who is video taping u have to have a hunting liscense. I think its a grey area because if u look at hunting requirements it says something anyone pursuing or intentionally distubing game. That's not an exact quote but it says something along those lines. Bottom line is, I think u would be hardpressed to find a dec officer willing to right a ticket on either situation

moose1915 10-19-2010 06:47 PM

as long as he does not have a gun, is not driving deer, or a part of the "HUNT" it is FINE...according to nys rulebook....get him-her out there!

sconnyhunter 10-19-2010 06:53 PM

You'd be good here in Wis. as well. Encourage them to take the kids out whenever possible.

skillet01 10-19-2010 07:22 PM

In pa that kid would be legal to hunt under the mentor program as long as they are UNDER12 years old . There is no min age required. The adult must have a valid hunting license and carry the firearm until in a fixed position and must be within arms reach at all times. The adult is responsible for the kids actions. This is a great program. No saftey courses are required until the child reaches 12 years old.

7MMXBOLT 10-19-2010 07:55 PM

Here in New Hampshire we encourage it, infact we have a weekend set aside just for youths which is this weekend coming up. Fish & Game set the weekend just before the muzzleloader & Regular season for parents who want to take their kids out but not when the woods are full of Ya'Hoos. They also can take them out anytime during the firearm season if they choose to as long as they are under 16 years of age, plus they can shoot as long as the guardian has a hunting licence and the youth is along side. The youth can't be more than an arms reach away holding a firearm.

marlin30/30_drabe 10-20-2010 03:30 AM

its perfectly legal. thats how i started just following mmy dad in hand me down camo when i was about 9 or 10

JonnyNov 10-20-2010 04:10 AM

"To Hunt means to pursue, shoot, kill or capture (other than trap) wildlife and includes all lesser acts that disturb or worry wildlife wether or not they result in taking. Hunting also includes all acts to assist another person in taking wildlife." Thats straight from the nys guidlines, you guys be the judges, cause imo it is pretty unclear and they leave it wide open, especialy with the line that says any lesser act that disturb or worry wildlife. That could be a wide range of things

accman 10-20-2010 05:44 AM

per the NYSDEC

If you look at the bottom where the age requirements for licenses, it's from 16 on up. It also says that you cannot hunt from 12 and under, but can go along for the ride. At 12, I'd get them the hunter safety course, bowhunting, muzzle, and let them get the enjoyment out of it. It's our right to pass this great sport on and get younger hunters to love it the way that we do. Out of 3 boys and 3 girls, only got 1 boy to take it on and he's better than I ever was. Got him his lifetime license as a graduation present, and it's something he'll remember for the rest of his life. (I think my wife would have shot me if I took the girls out for a hunt. But they spot deer when were driving just a good as I can.) HUNTING - Pass it on !! God bless.

Frequently Asked Questions About Hunting

Below are answers to a number of questions frequently asked by New York hunters. Use the links in the right margin to jump to specific topics.
Accompanying

Q: Can I take my young child (or an unlicensed person) with me while I am deer hunting?
A: Yes, and we highly recommend it! Just make sure the child (or unlicensed person) is not hunting or assisting in any aspect of the hunt (like driving deer). Bring an extra pair of binoculars and plenty of snacks. Have a good time!
Q: Can my son or daughter hunt small game while I hunt deer?A: Yes, but your son or daughter must have a Junior Hunting license and cannot actively participate in the big game hunt (including driving deer).
Q: Can I participate in someone else's hunt after I have filled all of my deer tags?A: Yes. A licensed hunter who has filled his or her tags may continue to participate in the hunt, including driving of deer, but may not attempt to shoot a deer.

Resident Hunting Licenses, Permits and Stamps

RESIDENT HUNTING LICENSES, PERMITS & STAMPS (Review residency qualifications)TypeQualificationsPrivilegesAge CostCONSERVATION
LEGACYHunter Ed. certificate
OR
Previous Hunting License
PLUS:
Acceptable Bowhunter Ed. Certificate
OR
NYS Bowhunting Stamp issued 1980 or later
OR
NYS Jr. Archery License issued 1980 or laterAll the privileges that apply to a Super Sportsman License plus a donation toward the Habitat and Access Stamp and a one-year subscription to The Conservationist magazine.

16-69 $96

SUPER
SPORTSMANSame as Conservation LegacyAll the privileges that apply to fishing, small game, big game, bowhunting and muzzleloading licenses and a turkey permit.

16-69 $88

nybowhunter 10-20-2010 11:36 AM

I've taken both of my sons for years. Sit next to me in a ladder stand. I never got one with them because they move a lot and are noisy. Plus bored. I never forced them and always left the woods when they were ready. My youngest was probaly 8 when he saw his first deer while hunting. He says..."Dad, LOOK...theres a doe over there"...off she ran...lol! He still laughs about it today. He's now 14 and is bow hunting for the first time.