Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Steuben County NY >

Steuben County NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Steuben County NY

Old 10-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Steuben County NY

So hows the deer population this year down in Steuben County ?
I go down every year for 3 hunting days ...We hunt 8T,
Last year was very slow,, Only seen one doe in 3 full days of hunting and never got a shot .I hunt with my son and a buddy , only one who got a shot was my son at a nice buck and a doe , Of course he wont admit it but he got the old buck fever and shot the tree.. LOL....
4 guys we go down with hunt in 8R , Last year they got a dandy 8 pointer , a nice doe and a nice 7 pointer ..
Out of 6 guys hunting 3 full days deer movement was slow and few to be seen .
Prior year we had 6 guys hunting full days and I was the lucky one I ended up with a nice 8 pointer and to nice doe .
Just hard to believe out of al the years we have been down there its gotton this bad ...
I can see why they keep giving fewer doe tags,,,,
Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on who you talk to...I hunted squirrels on one property 3 weeks ago and saw 6 different bucks in the same area in one morning... That was in 8T... My fiance owns property in 8X and the deer there have been working my clover plot pretty heavy...

Some of the guys who have been riding around watching fields complain that they aren't seeing many deer..My opinion is that most of the deer are in the timber working the bountiful acorn crop...

All in all, my impression is that the population here is about average this year... I think that lots of oaks in the area you hunt may be a big plus...
Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

We have 420 acres in 8T and from what our camera's are showing us this is going to be a great year! I agree with Pygmy, the deer are all in the timber hitting the acorns, this has been a bumper year for them. Scouting last weekend we came across a lot of nice rubs
Old 10-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Nice

Originally Posted by Pygmy
Depends on who you talk to...I hunted squirrels on one property 3 weeks ago and saw 6 different bucks in the same area in one morning... That was in 8T... My fiance owns property in 8X and the deer there have been working my clover plot pretty heavy...

Some of the guys who have been riding around watching fields complain that they aren't seeing many deer..My opinion is that most of the deer are in the timber working the bountiful acorn crop...

All in all, my impression is that the population here is about average this year... I think that lots of oaks in the area you hunt may be a big plus...
That sounds great ..
The area I hunt around has thick ever greens directly in front of me and a big area of oak trees around and behind me ..
Sounds like a bumper crop this year ?
We have been hunting 8T for almost 20 years now and always see the majority of the deer herd are bucks , either button bucks or bigger,,,
Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rubs

Originally Posted by Avalanche
We have 420 acres in 8T and from what our camera's are showing us this is going to be a great year! I agree with Pygmy, the deer are all in the timber hitting the acorns, this has been a bumper year for them. Scouting last weekend we came across a lot of nice rubs
I,ve never seen more rubs by bucks than in Steuben County .
There are tons of tracks , trails, and rubs ..
Usualy easy to find a scrape or 2 also ..
The bucks realy tear up the trees and brush ...
Just hope the rut is on , I no when we hit the rut in prime time its very exciting ,
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tracker...Whereabouts do you hunt in 8T...??...

I live in beautiful downtown Addison and do most of my deer hunting near Rathbone ( 8T) and in Tuscarora ( 8X)....
Old 10-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pygmy
Tracker...Whereabouts do you hunt in 8T...??...

I live in beautiful downtown Addison and do most of my deer hunting near Rathbone ( 8T) and in Tuscarora ( 8X)....
Beautiful downtown Addison... now that's funny! Our land is up Beartown Rd. (not far from Addison actually). I've seen some big deer from Rathbone over the years. Good luck this fall.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beartown Road, eh...??.. Do you border the Erwin Game management area..?? A buddy of mine was hiking up there this summer saw saw 9 bucks together..He said 3 of them are real dandies..... Always some big bucks hanging around there..They hide in the backyards of a couple of upscale neighborhoods in Gang Mills, like Woodland Park...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

I've hunted Stueben the last 5 years at my buddies place in Hammondsport "on Vogt Rd" and there has never been a dull moment. He's had his cameras out the last two months and is telling me it's business as usual and should be another good year. Only in the last month has the bucks been making themselves known though.

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 10-06-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pygmy

Pigmy, I use to hunt on a huge farmland parcel years ago when we first went to Steuben County for the opener .
I now hunt outside of Bath , We hunt in Howard ....
Were kinda on the back side of the State land ..
We hunt on privte property .,,, Just up the road abought 15 years or so ago we had abought 200 plus acers of PRIME farm land 5 of us hunted ..
We always got deer and always seen or shot some nice bucks ,.,
Farmer gto divorced and his ex, ended up marrying ( you guessed it ) a hunter , So we lost the property,, AAARGGHH.....
The 75 acers or so I hunt on was another piece of private property we use to only drive deer and never realy hunted ..
We drove the first parcel one day and got 2 nice bucks , both bucks I,d jumped on the way in to start the drive , Unfortionetly I couldnt get a shot at either of them .
We then went to the parcel I hunt now and I was one of the watchers, I ended up shooting a nice 6 pointer ..
I seen 3 bucks alive and then dead within 3 hrs....
Seams like if its cold and a few inches of snow its very good.
When its warmer like the last couple years it gets slow ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.