Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
The Mismanagement of the PA Deer Herd >

The Mismanagement of the PA Deer Herd

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The Mismanagement of the PA Deer Herd

Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
police said that its 500 yds from school to hunt or have gun .they did not say they had to own the property.
i agree with what you are saying to a point because i have friends that live within 200 yds of school and have gun in home.
The police are wrong which is often the case with these matters.How many people hunting private property in urban areas are harrassed by the police?The municipalities can stop people from hunting on property they own within these areas but they can't stop people from hunting on private property as long as they obey the safety zone requirements.

There is no law that states you can't have a gun within 500 yards of a school.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
There is no law that states you can't have a gun within 500 yards of a school.
What would someone do if they lived with in 500 yds of a school? Not be allowed to have a gun in their homes? It sure would be another worthless law.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by pats102862
What would someone do if they lived with in 500 yds of a school? Not be allowed to have a gun in their homes? It sure would be another worthless law.
the law i read said YOU COULD NOT DISCHARGE A GUN WITHIN 500 YDS OF SCHOOL.did not say you could not have gun within 500 yds, just you could not discharge it.
cant remember where i read it ,i think on the huntingpa forum.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no such law.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

So what I discovered from reading these 7 pages is that:

1: Some on here would rather see 80,000 spikes - 4 points taken as long as people are getting their buck instead of 30,000 good quality bucks taken.

2: People still want to hunt the old way and that is to walk into an area that they can see for 100 - 120 yards in all directions, instead of beating some brush were the deer are.

3: Some people read rules and then add little twist to them to make them worse then they are.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

1: Some on here would rather see 80,000 spikes - 4 points taken as long as people are getting their buck instead of 30,000 good quality bucks taken.
That isn't even close to what happened in PA. The year before ARs were implemented we harvested 159K 1.5 buck and 44K 2.5+ buck. In 2009 we harvested 53K 1.5 buck and 55 K 2.5 buck. So our 1.5 buck harvest decreased by 103K and our 2.5 buck harvest increased by only 11K and we had 105K fewer successful buck hunters.

2: People still want to hunt the old way and that is to walk into an area that they can see for 100 - 120 yards in all directions, instead of beating some brush were the deer are.
But a lot of other hunters are still beating the bush and aren't finding enough deer to make beating the bushes worth the effort. With a buck harvest rate of less than 2 buck PSM in 2G hunters have to beat a whole lot of bushes to find a legal buck.

: Some people read rules and then add little twist to them to make them worse then they are.
The rules are the rules and there is no way to twist them to make them worse. The harvest data shows what the rules have produced and there is no way to twist that data.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Granted, this was quite some time ago, but I used to go shoot clays with my school principal back in high school over lunch hours, and it was VERY common that guys would come straight to class from hunting in the mornings, or go hunting directly after school, so it was very common that guys would come to school with a gun in their truck...

The police and the school agreed on the policy that students with firearms in their vehicles were required to park in the lot across the street from the school, because it was actually CITY property, even though it was used for school parking. That was the rule according to the "letter of the law". To my knowledge, that's still the policy at the school, although I'd assume that kids are encouraged to be much less vocal about having a firearm in their car than we use to be.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

firearms are now banned in your locked car on railroad property.
it used to be you could carry your firearm to work then go hunting, not now.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're confusing laws with rules that private entities make.It's within anyone's right to say you can't have a firearm on their property but there's no law against it.A private corp can terminate your employment if they find you with a gun on property they say you can't have it on.However,they can't have you arrested.The law is very clear about where and can and can't possess a weapon.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine belongs to a camp in (I think Lycoming county?) PA and he said over the last 4 or 5 years they have seen many more mature bucks than ever in the past. Another buddy hunts in upper bucks county (black eddy?) and he manages a nice buck every year.

Both of these guys and there camps actually scout and spend time in the woods though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.