Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
The Mismanagement of the PA Deer Herd >

The Mismanagement of the PA Deer Herd

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The Mismanagement of the PA Deer Herd

Old 10-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Spike

yup plenty of food here, farms, farms and in the woods so much to browse, just no deer or should i say doe anymore to browse, few buck around but not to many. been hunting and trapping this blue mtn for over 27 years it is at its worst. we live right at the base of the mtn and plant sweet corn have many other garden veggies that haven't had a deer browse my plots for over 6 years i know because i always have a game cam somewhere around the plots, yes once in a great while we will get a single doe come to get something from the patches but not like 7-8 years ago when you see 10-15 doe in a group. always planted extra just for the deer, but now mostly rots right in the fields, but the wild birds do love it come mid winter.

me and my wife used to both get doe tags for 4c back some years ago and harvest them which in turn we were also part of the problem., but we no longer even purchase them and its been over 5 years since not applying for one because we wouldn't even think of shooting one at this point in time just not justifiable here,

i don't allow anyone access to my property either for fear of them shooting anything that is left that may have a chance to survive because of this choice.. .

even my 70 year old dad gave up hunting totally because of the way things are now esp the way doe are killed off, it should have never gone on this long with the two full weeks of killing doe in rifle, i was hoping it would have changed for this year but not so, it will take many many many years to ever see anything like it used to be, but that day will come as the hunter population dies out and looses interest in ti. however i will hunt buck, turkey, bear till i cant walk anymore or they to disappear from the woods as well..

Last edited by TheBoneGrinders; 10-06-2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TheBoneGrinders
yup plenty of food here, farms, farms and in the woods so much to browse, just no deer or should i say doe anymore to browse, few buck around but not to many. been hunting and trapping this blue mtn for over 27 years it is at its worst. we live right at the base of the mtn and plant sweet corn have many other garden veggies that haven't had a deer browse my plots for over 6 years i know because i always have a game cam somewhere around the plots, yes once in a great while we will get a single doe come to get something from the patches but not like 7-8 years ago when you see 10-15 doe in a group. always planted extra just for the deer, but now mostly rots right in the fields, but the wild birds do love it come mid winter.

me and my wife used to both get doe tags for 4c back some years ago and harvest them which in turn we were also part of the problem., but we no longer even purchase them and its been over 5 years since not applying for one because we wouldn't even think of shooting one at this point in time just not justifiable here,

i don't allow anyone access to my property either for fear of them shooting anything that is left that may have a chance to survive because of this choice.. .

even my 70 year old dad gave up hunting totally because of the way things are now esp the way doe are killed off, it should have never gone on this long with the two full weeks of killing doe in rifle, i was hoping it would have changed for this year but not so, it will take many many many years to ever see anything like it used to be, but that day will come as the hunter population dies out and looses interest in ti. however i will hunt buck, turkey, bear till i cant walk anymore or they to disappear from the woods as well..

very well said.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DougE
So in other words,these dead deer that are required to get checked in are just being made up?No one is saying there's a high deer density on that property.Twenty deer per square mile,give or take a few is not a high deer density for seeing loads of deer but it's about all the habitat can take in most areas in 2G.Thing is,hunters were used to hunting at such ridiculous deer densities that they were spoiled.

I just bought a house and 12 acres less than a mile away from the one spot he was talking about.It's all pasture except for one small strip of woods about 75 yards wide that separates my horse pasture from some overgrown fields.Visibility is good in all directions and I've been building a barn and putting up fence every night for the past two months.I seeing some does,fawns and occasional small buck running around but nothing to write home about.Back in August I PUT A TRAIL CAMERA IN THAT SMALL STRIP OF WOODS AND i'VE GOTTEN PICTURES OF AT LEAST 12 DIFFERENT BUCKS,4 OF WHICH HAVE AT LEAST 19-20 INCH SPREADS.Funny thing is,every picture is at night and I NEVER SEE ANY OF THOSE DEER.I pulled the card this morning and had 56 pictures since last Sunday with not bait out.Personal observations mean very little.especially in areas with little pressure.
Doug, your post confirms one thing, that as city slickers moves out into the country, that more and more land is being bought up and access into those areas - where you claim to have deer is being closed to the public.

It's illegal to hunt within 150 yards of any inhabited building and no one allows hunters to hunt next to their horse pastures.
So basically when you bought the land and closed it off to hunting - you in turn created another one of those deer sanctuary area's that I was talking about. Good Job..
Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
Doug, your post confirms one thing, that as city slickers moves out into the country, that more and more land is being bought up and access into those areas - where you claim to have deer is being closed to the public.

It's illegal to hunt within 150 yards of any inhabited building and no one allows hunters to hunt next to their horse pastures.
So basically when you bought the land and closed it off to hunting - you in turn created another one of those deer sanctuary area's that I was talking about. Good Job..
You are one miserable s o gun.

Last edited by JW; 10-11-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: language
Old 10-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter

First of all,I've never lived anywhere near a city so I'm far from a city slicker.Second of all,the saftey zone during archery season is 50 yards,not 150 yards and with permission from the landowner,you can hunt right from a building if that's what you want to call hunting.Third,I didn't post anything and would actually feel ridiculous posting a mear postage stamp of 12 acres.I even left a 10 ft wide girth between the woods and my horse pasture so the locals can ride their 4 wheelers through.On top of that,none of the property that surounds my property is posted that I'm aware of and it all gets hunted very heavily.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

its 500 yds here next to HIGH SCHOOL.all duck hunters in river are not aware of this and hunting in safety zones for ducks.
i did not know it also, i dont hunt ducks but many do.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think that is a safety zone issue , but rather a gun free zone around schools.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

That couldn't be enforced unless the school owned all 500 acres.You can't have a gun on school property but there's no distance from the property where it woukld be against the law to hunt.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

police said that its 500 yds from school to hunt or have gun .they did not say they had to own the property.
i agree with what you are saying to a point because i have friends that live within 200 yds of school and have gun in home.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Text of the law

Title 18 U.S.C §922(q) The Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995 States:
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is— (I) not loaded; and (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

(3) (A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the person knows is a school zone. (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the discharge of a firearm— (i) on private property not part of school grounds; (ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program; (iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; or (iv) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity. (4) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as preempting or preventing a State or local government from enacting a statute establishing gun free school zones as provided in this subsection.
(2) It shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.