Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
The Mismanagement of the PA Deer Herd >

The Mismanagement of the PA Deer Herd

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The Mismanagement of the PA Deer Herd

Old 09-27-2010, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
The relationship of Alt and Eveland over 30 years ago is irrelevant. Let's see if you can refute the facts he presented regarding those that were behind the new DMP and the drive for extreme herd reduction. All of that information has been documented over the last 10 years and you can't provide anything to refute it.
What's relevent is the fact that the ALLEGHANY SPORTSMEN claim that Eveland wrote the first bear management plan and elk plan.At this time,no evidence has surfaced showing that Eveland ever worked for the PGC or ever wrote anything for the PGC.I believe he was nothing more than a college grad student at the time.When someone makes such outrageous claims and it turns out to be not true,there certainly is an issue with their credibility from the start.

He makes alot of claims that certainly can be refuted starting with the fact that he never worked for the PGC.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Alt also claimed we would have ." more and larger buck than ever before", the buck harvest would return to normal in 2003 and ARs would reduce the breeding window and increase recruitment. None of that was true ,so why should we believe him now?
Yep,Alt made some ridiculous predictions that I knew would never come true.I think Alt was somewhat clueless in the deer management department but I imagine he would have a vivid recolection of who he's met in his lifeltime,especially if that person was the reason he wanted to become a bear biologist and larger than life as Eleland claims Alt desribed him.

Do you have any evidence that shows Eveland wrote the state's first bear and Elk management plans?He is after all taking credit for the success of those species.If you don't have evidence,Eveland is obviously nothing more than a blowhard that has an axe to grind because he didn't get the bid to do the deer audit.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://skunkinthewoodpile.com/?p=1860

Here's a little background on the situation.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Doug

it's not just the ACSL that claims he wrote the first bear and elk plans but the artist himself.

http://www.johnevelandphotography.com/main.html

WV Gino
Old 09-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have any evidence that shows Eveland wrote the state's first bear and Elk management plans?He is after all taking credit for the success of those species.If you don't have evidence,Eveland is obviously nothing more than a blowhard that has an axe to grind because he didn't get the bid to do the deer audit.

Instead of attacking Eveland's character ,why don't you refute what he had to say about the involvement of the Audubon, DCNR, the timber industry, SCS , QDMA and WMI? If you and others would have questioned Alt's character as much as you are questioning Eveland's,maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we are today.Instead you defended him and his plan for years until the overwhelming data proved he was dead wrong.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

So Audubon says there are too many deer and they are wrecking the habitat. I'll agree that they did so and that their wake up calls impacted deer management in PA. Guess what they have say in the process.

If I walk by a house with flames shooting out of it and an run around pounding on doors yelling fire that makes me what?

Where/are deer negatively effecting the forests of PA?

This guy claims "sudies" have shown there to be only 1 to 2 deer per square mile in areas of PA. OK, what studies?

Wv Gino
Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I walk by a house with flames shooting out of it and an run around pounding on doors yelling fire that makes me what?
That depends on whether you called the fire company first and didIf I walk by a house with flames shooting out of it and an run around pounding on doors yelling fire that makes me what? you knock on the door of the house that was burning?

Where/are deer negatively effecting the forests of PA?

That depends on who you ask and what their special interest might be.

Are you denying there are places in PA with only 1 or 2 DPSM? If so provide the studies that prove it.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...eersurvey.aspx

If you look at the results from 2006 and add up all the land that
had a complete FLIR survey you get 7500 after winter deer seen
on 336K acres or 526 square miles. That works out more than 14 deer per square mile of almost all big woods public land.

The GC is not required to provide X of deer within a short walk to every parking spot or places with a short walk to a bathroom which is so important with your hunting crew.

There has yet to be a single documented State Forest or SGL with a pre-season density of 1 or 2 deer per square mile.

WV Gino
Old 09-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

More PA big woods public land that does not show any where near 1 or 2 deer per square mile AFTER hunting season.

http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/L...management.htm

Wv Gino
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Yet another example. This time it's private land of an NGO that is open to hunters.
Clinton County, 2G. After hunting season densities in the 20's.

http://huntwestbranch.blogspot.com/p...r-flights.html

WV Gino

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.