Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA Baiting Question?? >

PA Baiting Question??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Baiting Question??

Old 09-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

next too NY
Old 10-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is the stupidest law on the books. Ok, you put down some minerals in the spring and early summer for both the buck (antler growth) and for the doe as a food supplement for a healthier birth and better milk production. In effect building up the health of the deer in your hunting area. So what is the distance you have to stay away from it so it is not considered baiting? You know there is going to be residual minerals in the soil. I mean, what is the difference between putting out buck urine to attract a buck during pre rut or estrus urine during the rut vs putting out a mineral supplement? They are all considered attractants aren't they? The only difference is that the minerals benefit the deer. Oh yeah that must be it. God knows, the PGC doesn't want healthy deer, only dead deer.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Soooo..... What about the stories that were evern published in Game News years ago about hunters using old apple orchards as a place to set up for deer?? I just find the whole mess hardly worth bothering with. Sick of the legal hassles and new interpretations. Tired of stories about people being arrested for hunting baited sites when they had no idea they were there. Some folks have even been set up by others in order to shut them off from hunting a certain piece of ground, unknowingly. And you wonder why people don't hunt anymore???? Getting arrested from hunting a site with food on the ground 1/4 mile away? Come on, now. That's been a well-known and highly published strategy forever. Next thing you know, you will have to defend hunting near a bedding area. Sorry, I'm just not interested in this new interpretations of how and where I can hunt. Horsepucky.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Spike

well i don't worry about natural baits in the woods, cause here you cant walk anywhere without stepping on acorns so its one big baited area here..
Old 10-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

I use corn as bait to get trail camera pics, I have no desire to hunt over a pile of bait for anything other than a coyote, which is a pest. But Pennsylvania freaks me out with their vague distance speak. I threw some corn out Sunday to see what comes through the woods, I plan on bow hunting over 400 yards away from that spot. I just put it there because it's a really good travelling area and I wanted them to be there long enough to activate my cameras trigger, now I'm all freaked out about it because who knows if that's far enough for Officer DoRight.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bronko22000
That is the stupidest law on the books. Ok, you put down some minerals in the spring and early summer for both the buck (antler growth) and for the doe as a food supplement for a healthier birth and better milk production. In effect building up the health of the deer in your hunting area. So what is the distance you have to stay away from it so it is not considered baiting? You know there is going to be residual minerals in the soil. I mean, what is the difference between putting out buck urine to attract a buck during pre rut or estrus urine during the rut vs putting out a mineral supplement? They are all considered attractants aren't they? The only difference is that the minerals benefit the deer. Oh yeah that must be it. God knows, the PGC doesn't want healthy deer, only dead deer.
If you put the minerals out in the spring and hunted in the fall - you would be ok - read your book.
There is a section there that explains what they call bait.
Bait can include a apple tree or corn or trying to use artificial corn or a decoy to harvest a deer or turkey.

As far as that goes, you can buy a manufactured tent and sit inside of it and be ok, but you cannot pile up some logs and hide inside of the log pile.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
If you put the minerals out in the spring and hunted in the fall - you would be ok - read your book.
Bait can include a apple tree or corn or trying to use artificial corn or a decoy to harvest a deer or turkey.

As far as that goes, you can buy a manufactured tent and sit inside of it and be ok, but you cannot pile up some logs and hide inside of the log pile.

I find that to be a weird law, I would think natural blinds would be encouraged. Using your surrounding material to blend in, seems natural to me.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter

Absolutely false.All residue has to be cleaned up 30 days prior to the season.
or kill livestock.
Taking Advantage of Food or Bait:
It is unlawful to hunt in or around
any area where artificial or natural bait, food, hay, grain, fruit, nuts, salt,
chemicals or minerals, including their residues, are used, or have been used
within the past 30 days, as an enticement to lure game or wildlife regardless
of the type or quantity. Hunters are responsible for ensuring that the
hunting area has not been baited before they begin hunting. They should
physically inspect the area and question landowners, guides and caretakers.
This section does not pertain to hunting near areas where accepted
farming or habitat management practices are taking place (example: hunting
near food plots on game lands is legal). Any natural or manmade nonliving
bait can be used to attract
coyotes for hunting or trapping.

Decoys: Decoys simulating food are considered artificial bait and are illegal
Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

natural blinds are legal for everything except turkey.

Apple trees, corn fileds, ect are not bait.

See title 34 section 2308.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Spike

i was gonna say apple tree's take some time to grow to produce fruit, there are wild crab apple tree's i hunt near, but hey i didn't plant them they are mother nature grown. Just as any other nut growing in the forest there natural baits that mother nature provides you to hunt over, under, along side of however you choose, just as hunting near a natural spring/water source for animals, i know on the mtn when turkeys come off the roost Ive hunted near many springs that birds will readily come to just after coming off the roost, its a good place to set up when there are no other water sources around.

guess you legally cant take a deer swimming across a lake or river i think?