Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Crossbow hunting >

Crossbow hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbow hunting

Old 09-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by crokit
I believe they provide OPPORTUNITY, rather than advantage, and the more opportunity to get people out there hunting that might not otherwise do it, for whatever reasons, the better off we are, IMHO.
respectfully,MOST dont want more hunters in woods.me too but i live with it.most dont feel we are better off. look at 17 new jersey hunters that now sit around me, they follow me ,peeking at me ,now carrying crossbows and shooting at anything that looks like deer.50 yd shots are norm for these great hunters.
i cant say i am happy too see these people every year.

Last edited by sproulman; 09-26-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by oldshedhunter35
I'm a disabled hunter I cant draw a bow back and hold it so I'm in favor of crossbows
I am in favor for crossbows for you and those with similar disabilities....on that you will never get any arguement.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Originally Posted by Sylvan
I appologize. I guess I just assumed you were a voice against x-bows in this discussion. Usually when someone points out that there are indeed "significant" advantages over longbow and compound they are against the use of x-bows in the regular archery season. I'm happy to find out I was wrong. It's good we can include you in the pro x-bow camp.
Originally Posted by Sniggle
Neutral...thank you.
Originally Posted by Sniggle
Although I am happy that WV is still holding the line on Xguns
LOL! You're not neutral at all. You make lots of statements that suport the argument against x-bows in the regular archery season and none in support of it. You sarcastically berate those who do support it and even refer prejorativly to Xguns. So much for the "neutral" argument--I need not have appologized--you're definately not neutral and you're definately not fooling anybody into believing you are. But nice try!

Last edited by Sylvan; 09-29-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

In my humble opinion, having used both, the crossbows only real advantage is at 40-50 yards and for stalking. They are more accurate, but we're talking me shooting a 3 inch pattern at 40 yards with my bow and a 1 inch pattern at 40 yards with my crossbow.

I like using my bow more, I find it easier to carry around the woods, and if you get caught at draw, it's easier to hold, contrary to belief, than a top heavy crossbow in the shooting position. The knee jerk reaction to crossbows is much to do about nothing.

I'll tell you this much, you don't realize how much recoil your compound bow has after you shoot it until you completely wreck your shoulder. Luckily I had a good doctor for my 2nd surgery or my bow hunting days were over.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default State wide ?

Are you referring your State or any ??
I dont have a problem with any LEGALY used weapon for hunting .
I DO have a problem with a weapon used ILLEGALY .
If its bow season Dont use a gun , If its Muzzleloader season Dont use a Rifle , ETC,,,
I,d say if the States were to approve or Legalize crossbows and they had a special week or so JUST for crossbow hunting , You would get more hunters in favor of them .
If the legalize crossbows and just let the hunters decide on compound, longbow or crossbow I,d say there would be less hunters for them ...
Like I said as long as there used legaly I dont see the problem .
Are muzzleloaders the same gun they were 50 years ago . I dont think so, So crossbows are just a souped up compound.
Just as the compound bows are a souped up long bow.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 AM
Spike

My 2 cents worth..Ive been using crossbows in pa for over 10 years as i had a disability permit to use them back in 2001, after using one and shooting them and taking a few animals with them over the years, i realized how good they were of a hunting weapon, but even before that Ive always felt that anyone should be able to use one if they so choose to.
as long as 1 practices with them and knows there abilities with them, they are a great and ethical hunting tool to use.

Last edited by TheBoneGrinders; 10-06-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

My feeling is, I think NH has it right as to the regulations pertaining to X-Bows. Unless you have a disability (need permit) which prevents you from using a compound or longbow, x-bows are not legal to use during the archery season. They are however legal for anyone to use during the regular firearms season. A good majority "not all" of those hunters without disabilities who choose to use the X-bow are those hunters that are not very good shooters with a compound or any other vertical type bow and know it! Some don't have the means or the time to practice and become proficent enough to take a game animal with confidence, but until the introduction of the x-bow they have been forced to hunt with a typical bow just the same. Too many wounded and mammed game animals fall victim to these hunters each year and that is just sad. Not to mention it hurts the sport of hunting so if hunting with a x-bow will help reduce the number of wounded animals then I am all for it.

I don't hunt with a x-bow as of now but I know there will come a day when I will have to retire my compound because old age will take over. The x-bow at that point will allow me to continue to hunt during the archery season and I'll still be able take advantage of the extra time in the field that traditional bow hunting does now. I see x-bows as a win-win situation and should be allowed in our sport.

Lets not cut off our hand to spite our foot because one day it could turn around and bite us in the ass later on!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default well said

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
My feeling is, I think NH has it right as to the regulations pertaining to X-Bows. Unless you have a disability (need permit) which prevents you from using a compound or longbow, x-bows are not legal to use during the archery season. They are however legal for anyone to use during the regular firearms season. A good majority "not all" of those hunters without disabilities who choose to use the X-bow are those hunters that are not very good shooters with a compound or any other vertical type bow and know it! Some don't have the means or the time to practice and become proficent enough to take a game animal with confidence, but until the introduction of the x-bow they have been forced to hunt with a typical bow just the same. Too many wounded and mammed game animals fall victim to these hunters each year and that is just sad. Not to mention it hurts the sport of hunting so if hunting with a x-bow will help reduce the number of wounded animals then I am all for it.

I don't hunt with a x-bow as of now but I know there will come a day when I will have to retire my compound because old age will take over. The x-bow at that point will allow me to continue to hunt during the archery season and I'll still be able take advantage of the extra time in the field that traditional bow hunting does now. I see x-bows as a win-win situation and should be allowed in our sport.

Lets not cut off our hand to spite our foot because one day it could turn around and bite us in the ass later on!

Very good point ....
Old 10-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT

Good post, it also makes me think I missed the biggest advantage of a crossbow, you can pick it up and be good with it in a matter of a few shots. I forgot that some people can't shoot a traditional bow for crap because I have been shooting them for so long that I forgot that angle. I guess that is where the animosity is mostly coming from. I bought a crossbow when I destroyed my shoulder, 2 surgeries later an I finally have a decent shoulder, or else I was going to be stuck being a crossbow hunter for life.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sproulman
respectfully,MOST dont want more hunters in woods.me too but i live with it.most dont feel we are better off. look at 17 new jersey hunters that now sit around me, they follow me ,peeking at me ,now carrying crossbows and shooting at anything that looks like deer.50 yd shots are norm for these great hunters.
i cant say i am happy too see these people every year.
come on dude this sounds like a fairytale! you gotta stop with this stuff already man?

Last edited by sits in trees; 10-08-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.