Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Crossbow hunting >

Crossbow hunting

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbow hunting

Old 09-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sniggle
That statement is some bullcrap. It has a significant advantage over a bow (trad or compound), and anyone who is not being a fanboy will acknowledge that. At least be honest when you argue for the inclusion of crossbows.
So what! As I've asked before. How does somebody in the next tree stand or ground blind negatively impact your hunting? You're not competing with him, so what if he can shoot farther and with less movement when he shoots--that doesn't mess up what you're doing in the slightest. Now you be honest and tell us that the real reason you oppose x-bows is because you don't like the idea that that fella just might shoot a deer that you would have liked to have shot. You think that by keeping the x-bow hunters out, there will be more for you. Pretty selfish I'd say. Well, so much for encouraging hunters to get out there and being happy for whatever success they might have. So much for doing what we can to increase our numbers and hopefully give us more political power to keep our hunting rights. And so much for being honest.

Last edited by Sylvan; 09-12-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

That statement is some bullcrap. It has a significant advantage over a bow (trad or compound), and anyone who is not being a fanboy will acknowledge that.

And those significant advantages are?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sylvan
So what! As I've asked before. How does somebody in the next tree stand or ground blind negatively impact your hunting? You're not competing with him, so what if he can shoot farther and with less movement when he shoots--that doesn't mess up what you're doing in the slightest. Now you be honest and tell us that the real reason you oppose x-bows is because you don't like the idea that that fella just might shoot a deer that you would have liked to have shot. You think that by keeping the x-bow hunters out, there will be more for you. Pretty selfish I'd say. Well, so much for encouraging hunters to get out there and being happy for whatever success they might have. So much for doing what we can to increase our numbers and hopefully give us more political power to keep our hunting rights. And so much for being honest.
You really need to take a reading comprehension course....I merely disputed the obviously stupid statement that an Xbow has no advantage over a bow, but I took no position either way on xbows.

Preach to someone else, please.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by pats102862
And those significant advantages are?
Are you really that clueless?

OK, here you go..top three:

- Must draw in the presence of game
- Once drawn, ,most hunters will have only 1 or 2 minutes before they must either shoot or undraw the bow
- Crossbows can be aimed from a fised stable platform.

Again, in this thread I have taken no position either way, but I could not let a stupid fanboy statement like, 'Xbows have no advantegous over bows' go without challenge.

Time to go out and practice some more with my compound bow.....
Old 09-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

That statement is some bullcrap. It has a significant advantage over a bow (trad or compound), and anyone who is not being a fanboy will acknowledge that. At least be honest when you argue for the inclusion of crossbows.
Yeah - they are louder, heavier and clumsy - hugh advantages.
Also hear they position themselves on that fixed platform automaticaly with no movement and the deer always come in and pose at that exact spot.

The disadvantages are enough so I have no interest in one personaly, but support the right of all to use them.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I am not a crossbow fan but see it as a great alternative for people who physically can't draw a bow. I understand they are being made legal in many states but at least here you can hunt with one only with a permit and need a doctor's note to get one.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You really need to take a reading comprehension course....I merely disputed the obviously stupid statement that an Xbow has no advantage over a bow, but I took no position either way on xbows.

Preach to someone else, please.
I appologize. I guess I just assumed you were a voice against x-bows in this discussion. Usually when someone points out that there are indeed "significant" advantages over longbow and compound they are against the use of x-bows in the regular archery season. I'm happy to find out I was wrong. It's good we can include you in the pro x-bow camp.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sylvan
I appologize. I guess I just assumed you were a voice against x-bows in this discussion. Usually when someone points out that there are indeed "significant" advantages over longbow and compound they are against the use of x-bows in the regular archery season. I'm happy to find out I was wrong. It's good we can include you in the pro x-bow camp.
Neutral...thank you.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neutral...thank you.
Neutral then. For a neutral guy, though, you might want to tone it down a bit. Your sarcasm toward those that support x-bows can reasonably be construed as being against them. Are you sure you're neutral?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

You still have to do your home work and get pretty much as close to the game as a compound. Easier to aim and less movement and less fatigue, means for those who have taken less ambition and effort into learning a bow properly, and who have been wounding deer as a result will have an easier way to get the job done right and for that reason i am all for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.