Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Crossbow hunting >

Crossbow hunting

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crossbow hunting

Old 09-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sniggle
Are you really that clueless?

OK, here you go..top three:

- Must draw in the presence of game
- Once drawn, ,most hunters will have only 1 or 2 minutes before they must either shoot or undraw the bow
- Crossbows can be aimed from a fised stable platform.

Again, in this thread I have taken no position either way, but I could not let a stupid fanboy statement like, 'Xbows have no advantegous over bows' go without challenge.

Time to go out and practice some more with my compound bow.....
Personally, I don't see that as a significant advantage. I think carrying one of those clumsy loud things around would be a disadvantage. I'll stick with my bowtech guardian for the time being. If someone feels the crossbow gives them an advantage, more power to them and happy hunting.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Neutral then. For a neutral guy, though, you might want to tone it down a bit. Your sarcasm toward those that support x-bows can reasonably be construed as being against them. Are you sure you're neutral?
There's tons of room between the two sides here. All that was done was challenge, correctly, the statement that cross-bows have no advantage, simple as that. They also have some down sidess as well, as has been pointed out.

It's both sides that need to "tone it down". They are a choice of weapon, any choice comes with positive and negative.

Me: Neutral, but should be decided by the deer herd and biologists. Will adding crossbows increase the deer kill? Yes. More hunters and more hunter days means more deer killed. Is this ok? Well that depends, can the herd handle it or does the herd need it? That's geogrpahically dependant.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

I never understood why people get upset about other people's weapon of choice. I don't tell them what to use when hunting and I don't expect them to tell me either. Today, hunting is mostly about population control and along those lines most any weapon should be allowed. I will use the weapon I desire and you do the same.

I currently use a compound bow, but it hurts my shoulder as I messed it up playing golf years ago. For now I am fine and will continue to use the bow. But as I get even older I expect it could become more of a problem and may switch to a crossbow.

I also use an inline muzzleloader that I just scoped for the upcoming season. These guns are as good as any modern rifle out to 200 to 250 yards. Yea, I would like to get a deer with a traditional, sidehammer gun but I could never get them to fire reliably. For now I am completely satisfied to use a modern inline.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Please be careful with the "use whatever weapon you want" arguments. The end to that road is one big season, use whatever you want, no archery season, no muzzleloader season, just one big season.

There will be restrictions on weapons, always. The tougher the weapon is to use the longer the season, that's why archery and muzzleloader has their own, often times extended, season. The problem is technology is making the "harder to use" weapons, easier to use. Where do you draw the line?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
Please be careful with the "use whatever weapon you want" arguments. The end to that road is one big season, use whatever you want, no archery season, no muzzleloader season, just one big season.

There will be restrictions on weapons, always. The tougher the weapon is to use the longer the season, that's why archery and muzzleloader has their own, often times extended, season. The problem is technology is making the "harder to use" weapons, easier to use. Where do you draw the line?
I assume you are talking to me? I don't mind the separate seasons at all and have never really thought about one big season. I enjoy the distinct seasons. But really that is just an artificial separation that may disappear someday.

I agree, the more deer that get taken, the shorter the seasons and more restrictions on weapons there will be. But, it seems less and less people hunt which seems to balance that out for now.

To answer your question, I only draw a personal line, not one for others. I myself am not into running deer with dogs or hunting high fence deer, but I won't begrudge others from doing it.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

crossbow a hunter can pick it up and after 3 or 4 shots ,they can kill deer at 30 yds .

compound bow you have to practice.
which is better.hands down a compound is much better if person practices.
first you get a second shot,in a treestand a crossbow is 1 shot weapon.
next, you ever carry a crossbow ,its AWFUL.
compound bow is quite.
crossbow is not weapon for taking long shots even tho many shoot at deer at 50 yds.bear too.
crossbow has advantage that you dont have to stand up to draw a bow in treestand, you can sit.that is big thing on movement .
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sproulman
crossbow a hunter can pick it up and after 3 or 4 shots ,they can kill deer at 30 yds .

compound bow you have to practice.
which is better.hands down a compound is much better if person practices.
first you get a second shot,in a treestand a crossbow is 1 shot weapon.
next, you ever carry a crossbow ,its AWFUL.
compound bow is quite.
crossbow is not weapon for taking long shots even tho many shoot at deer at 50 yds.bear too.
crossbow has advantage that you dont have to stand up to draw a bow in treestand, you can sit.that is big thing on movement .
Complete Nonsense.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pats102862
Personally, I don't see that as a significant advantage. If someone feels the crossbow gives them an advantage, more power to them and happy hunting.

I believe they provide OPPORTUNITY, rather than advantage, and the more opportunity to get people out there hunting that might not otherwise do it, for whatever reasons, the better off we are, IMHO.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I'm a disabled hunter I cant draw a bow back and hold it so I'm in favor of crossbows
Old 09-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sits in trees
Complete Nonsense.
you doubt ole sproul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.