Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Velvet Question?? >

Velvet Question??

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Velvet Question??

Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Velvet Question??

I live in Western Pa and was just wondering the timeline for antler growth and the average time when the velvet starts getting rubbed off? Any information would be helpful. Thanks....
Old 08-16-2010, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The antlers have nearly thier full growth by now..The next couple of weeks they will just be hardening, and then about Sept. 1, the velvet starts to come off.. By the end of the first week of September, the majority of the bucks will be hard horned and velvet free...
Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

i am wonderin the same thing in Texas?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:12 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

About 21/2 weeks. they will start rubbing velvet off, here in the north east.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one that had no velvet on August 30th last summer.
Attached Thumbnails Velvet Question??-aug-30-eight-pointer.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like they are starting early here in Minnesota.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Spike

I seen the first 2 bucks out of velvet tonight, Big 8 and a little 8. the Big 8 was in Velvet friday night, the first time i seen him. hope to have pics soon. August 15 earliest i ever seen out of velvet, 3rd week in september was the latest. it was a early growing season this year.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

deer and deer hunting tv just had a full episode on antler growth and its stages this weekend. It was very informative and basically stated that July was the month when they can crow up to 2 inches on both sides in 30 days. After that is when they start to harden.

Do a search and maybe they you can find and watch the episode.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Spike

Every buck is different but the bucks should be just about done growing and with in two weeks, the velvet should be gone.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:32 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Huntingtherut
I live in Western Pa and was just wondering the timeline for antler growth and the average time when the velvet starts getting rubbed off? Any information would be helpful. Thanks....
Over most of Pennsylvania the bucks will lose their velvet during the last week of August and the first week of September. A few will shed a little before the last week of August and a few will still have velvet a little after the first week in September, but most shed during that two-week period.

Most healthy adult deer will also change from the summer to winter coats during that same time period. Younger fawns and nutritionally stressed deer usually retain their summer coats slightly later into September than earlier fawns and healthier deer. Bucks are usually the first to transition into their winter coats, then older does, younger adult does and finally fawns. There are of course some exceptions to that generalization though.

I have seen a few deer in their winter coats already though I haven’t seen a buck out of velvet yet this fall. I saw eight bucks yesterday and all still had their velvet but I do expect to see bucks out of velvet any day now.

Dick Bodenhorn