Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Grace property hunting club...hardy county wv >

Grace property hunting club...hardy county wv

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Grace property hunting club...hardy county wv

Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

..also read pg 45 on the per sq mi harvest #s... read it slowly.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM
bigcountry

Wow, I used to hunt Reeds creek when I hunted hardy. Beens 10 years. I was wondering who owned the private land. They must do alot of deer drives. You always see a bunch of deer running thru reeds first day of gun.

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I've owned a share of grace since its inception in 1986, great hunting once you realize that you need to get off the roads to get away from the nimrods. I've killed several deer and a couple bear on that place, hunt areas like "the spur", "reeds creek", and huckleberry ridge.
The lake (only one on the place you can fish, called stumps run dam) is good bass fishing, useta be a top notch lake for hybrid bream but they've been fished out.

I think there are 465 shares outstanding and the club has right of first refusal so they buy back any shares at less than 8,000.00.
Yes there are rules, you can hunt, fish, cut wood, and ride ATV's on it, No you can't make a food plot without a vote by the shareholders but if you ever saw the place you wouldn't want to make a food plott on those steep ridges anyway.

As far as no deer on the farmland around baker, I'm callin BS, I hunt this area every year, the population is down from years ago but I still see 30-50 deer per day with about 8-15 bucks in the bunch.
Its been established that this area can carry 18-26 deer per square mile, we still have over 40, so they are still overpopulated. Do not expect to see these numbers on grace, its just too desolate and rough to hold that many deer. with a good mast crop you'll see plenty of deer there once you learn to hunt it, and its nothing like anywhere you hunted before.
RR

Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question

well I hunt Hardy county, I live here I work here, I see what game there is on a daily basis. I saw 37 deer this morn from the road between mathias and baker, corns head high so probably 3 times as many were out of sight, then at 8:00 AM I drove up kimsey run, saw 14 between kimsey run dam and the parker hollow rd.
believe the "hard credible data" if ya like, but if we have a failing deer heard, why does an area of a state that had no doe season for 17 years now let ya kill does for almost 5 weeks? whatever, if all ya can do is whine cause ya don't see enough deer go hunt somewhere else, I'll just keep fillin my freezer from where they ain't.
average morning of doe hunting

RR
Correct me if I am wrong , but I thought we could only shoot one deer a day in WV. ????
Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I hunt Hardy county, I live here I work here, I see what game there is on a daily basis. I saw 37 deer this morn from the road between mathias and baker, corns head high so probably 3 times as many were out of sight, then at 8:00 AM I drove up kimsey run, saw 14 between kimsey run dam and the parker hollow rd.
believe the "hard credible data" if ya like, but if we have a failing deer heard, why does an area of a state that had no doe season for 17 years now let ya kill does for almost 5 weeks? whatever, if all ya can do is whine cause ya don't see enough deer go hunt somewhere else, I'll just keep fillin my freezer from where they ain't.

RR
37 deer over a ,what, 8-10 MILE road..that's a FAR cry from your 40 per sq mile ave you believe Hardy has... and 14 from the dam to PHR is about 2-3 miles, so there goes your #s again. and the reason Doe season has been extended was to get the ratio of Bucks to doe back to desirable #s... at about 4/5 to 1....they may get there if more does are harvested,glad you're doing your part, but I don't kill does. I hunt for horns exclusively. I also hunt more land than my friends farm( which was in his family for many generations). I've hunted that County since the 70s' too, Pal... from Moorefield to Perry. the deer are NOT there in the numbers you try to convince folks that they are, and you refuse to accept the States' official numbers and calculations... I know many people in that area who are anti-DNR, and it appears as tho you may be one,but that doesn't change the facts OR the numbers...
last fall, the DNR wanted to stop all feeder activity( and cracked down on 'em the past 2 springs, handing out many tickets for those found operating in Gobbler season).. at the Moorefield meeting, Southern Sates cried that they'd lose too much business if they did that......imagine that...Southern States Co-Op influencing the DNR over feeders....

Noones' whinin' pal, about the lack of deer ..just stating facts backed up by the State DNR. and I'll continue to Hunt on PHR, if for no other reason, than to get together with my best Bud to continue the tradition. He has some nice racks on his wall from his GrandDad and his father, but NONE were taken after the 60s.. altho a NICE 12 pointer was poached( and lost) just 1/2 mile from his home. the outlaws are pathetic in that area, and are losing fear of the Game wardens in the county..they know they're too few and far between to make a difference..but they know whats' going on. They found 12 deer shot with crossbow bolts last year along PHR( mostly on Terra Alta School Rd)...from Aug- Nov... they are hunting from the bed of a p/u truck while moving with a crossbow... no noise.but they lose alot of deer they can't, or don't have time to recover. That's another vreason the deer are hurting there... too many outlaws who'd rather spend their $$ on other things besides meat.VERY FEW people who live there NEED to kill the deer for the meat, VERY few.... they have the lowest un-employment rate in the state....
Old 06-09-2018, 08:15 AM
Spike

I have hunted grace properly since I was 8, this is my 30th year hunting there. The deer population is way way down. When I started you could see a 100 deer a day, now you're lucky to see 20 a week. But the quality of bucks are better. And as for the people that hunt it, I have no problems, vary rare you run into someone being a jerk. I hurt a week in bow season and the first week of rifle season. Usually kill 2 bucks a year off of the club. They don't want anyone killing does "except children and first time hunters". The lakes are great fishing and the river is as well. My family also tries to spend a week every summer for vacation fishing there.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Gracehunter. This is an old thread, and only of the posters on it is still an active member so you likely won't get many responses here.

Post on some of the newer threads and get involved.

-Jake
Old 06-15-2018, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Grace Property hunting club...hardy county, wv

Since your are from the area you probably already know that the hunting ain't what it used to be. That said, you'll never lose money on your property as long as the concreters want a place to spend 3 days each year. You have already found that out. Enjoy and good luck.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:15 AM
Spike

Do they have any fishing on the property?