Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NYBowhunters association hangs with the enemy? >

NYBowhunters association hangs with the enemy?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYBowhunters association hangs with the enemy?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can somebody explain to me how a guy in the next tree stand or blind negatively impacts my bow hunt just because he is holding an x-bow as opposed to a compound, recurve or longbow?

I'll give you that his chances for taking a deer are a little higher than mine, as he can probably shoot accurately a bit further and he doesn't require as much movement when he shoots, but to oppose him on that basis is clearly a selfish one. That simply says you want more deer for yourself and you look at another hunters success as a bad thing for you.

I'll also give you that the legalization of x-bows may result in more hunters in the woods, but again, if that's the beef its also a selfish one. You think more hunters means more deer taken and therefore less for me. But as someone said, we limit the number of deer taken by the number of permits issued not the weapon.

I just don't see how allowing the next guy to be out there with an x-bow while I'm out there with a long bow hurts my enjoyment of the sport in any way. It's not a competition where fairness mandates that everyone is bound by precisely the same rules. Its a sport where we each pursue our quary in a manner that we choose, keeping in mind courtesy and resect for others out there doing the same.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Can somebody explain to me how a guy in the next tree stand or blind negatively impacts my bow hunt just because he is holding an x-bow as opposed to a compound, recurve or longbow?

I'll give you that his chances for taking a deer are a little higher than mine, as he can probably shoot accurately a bit further and he doesn't require as much movement when he shoots, but to oppose him on that basis is clearly a selfish one. That simply says you want more deer for yourself and you look at another hunters success as a bad thing for you.

I'll also give you that the legalization of x-bows may result in more hunters in the woods, but again, if that's the beef its also a selfish one. You think more hunters means more deer taken and therefore less for me. But as someone said, we limit the number of deer taken by the number of permits issued not the weapon.

I just don't see how allowing the next guy to be out there with an x-bow while I'm out there with a long bow hurts my enjoyment of the sport in any way. It's not a competition where fairness mandates that everyone is bound by precisely the same rules. Its a sport where we each pursue our quary in a manner that we choose, keeping in mind courtesy and resect for others out there doing the same.
Syl,

You make "good sense", perhaps the anti crossbow faction should just tell the truth as to why they are opposed to crossbows- "they are afraid of the added competition from crossbow hunters". LMAO
Old 09-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by W.Ztirem
Syl,

You make "good sense", perhaps the anti crossbow faction should just tell the truth as to why they are opposed to crossbows- "they are afraid of the added competition from crossbow hunters". LMAO
hey Z and that little detail about them not wanting anyone else shooting "THEIR DEER"...........
Old 09-08-2010, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
so why shouldnt xbows shooters be given the same consideration? you cant rightly exclude weapons because you dont like them, or think theyre too easy to use. the only thing that should matter is that it will sufficiently kill a deer. the theoritical few xtra yds is not gonna make that much difference, and as far as not being able to be detected while drawing the bow, a compound or longbow shooter could easily accomplish the same thing w/ a blind. Xbows are also just as safe to use in urban hunting situations as compounds so I really dont see much logical argument against them.

Well said.
I really have never seen the big reason for all of the whining about crossbows. I think it is selfishness by NYBowhunters and the like. They are still crying and crossbows (if passed) won't even be allowed in bow season - so what's the big worry (your precious bow season will remain the same). It's gun hunters that should be upset that that darn Xbow might be allowed in gun season!!! ;-) What I can't understand is why the proposed crossbow "season" isn't just that, a season with a separate tag (like a bow/muzzle/Xbow tag). With all the financial issues with the State & Conservation Fund, etc. why not charge for the privilege of hunting with a Xbow (just like any other implement). That seems like a no brainer to me but they overlooked/ignored it. Give it it's own season(s) - maybe first week of bow, a week in gun, and during muzzle (???) or some combination. I am a hunter (bow, rifle, shotgun, muzzle, pistol) and like using all of them. I am not running out to buy a crossbow (like I believe most people aren't) but also won't rule it out in the future (especially if it is given a season of it's own). It is time for the NYBowhunters to end their seflish rhetoric and get on board with uniting as HUNTERS.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doughboysigep
It is time for the NYBowhunters to end their seflish rhetoric and get on board with uniting as HUNTERS.
Right on!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Right on!
You have the give the NY Bowhunters credit for being so stupid as to not realize that crossbows will ultimately be introduced in NY as a legal hunting implement in all deer seasons. Its such a shame that such an organization who claims to represent NY bow hunters is so behind the times and has lost all credibility amongst the majority of the NY archery community.

By the way NYB, how is that membership drive going these days?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Spike

BooHoo thats all im reading here. The last time i checked this was America(USA) land of the free. Deerandbearhog nails all topics dead on. Like he said your only allowed what your given(tags).. All i want is Deer meat in the freezer to feed my big family! I dont care which way. I'm all for it(xbow). It would also allow me to let my kids get a chance to tag 1..
Old 09-24-2010, 02:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Selfish? Worried about them taking deer and hurting my chances? LMAO! The last thing I'm worried about when I'm hunting is what anyone else is doing. Believe me filling my tags has never and will never be a problem. Legalize grenades and machine guns and I'm still going to do my thing. For all the rah rah politically correct bandwagoners..... if you can't see the flipside of the argument you're naive or ignorant (or both). Just start bashing bowhunters as selfish blah blah blah. So be it.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NY Bowhunter
The last thing I'm worried about when I'm hunting is what anyone else is doing. Believe me filling my tags has never and will never be a problem. Legalize grenades and machine guns and I'm still going to do my thing.
You make a good argument for x-bows in the archery season. Just as it wouldn't bother you, it shouldn't bother anybody elses hunting either.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

I am an avid archery hunter (compond bow). As an entire Sporting world we should welcome the introduction of crossbows. We are a dying breed (hunters as a whole). There are enough groups againt good responsible etical hunters. The last thing we need is, in fighting. Divide and conquer, PETA and all the other anit's love it. Speaking from a Southern Zone stand point If the season (crossbow/archery) opens Oct 1 till the Saturday rifle opens it is a win-win. Archery as a whole gains 2 more weeks of hunting and we get the opportunity to hunt with old friends who may have left the sport due to the inability to hunt in the colder weather or pull back the ole' bow. I don't want to see a seperate season only for the crossbow because it excludes people from the hunting camps. The CAMPS is what hunting season is all about. The people this effects most would be those who established the deer camps that we cherish so much. Please lets not forget the doors it may open for new hunters. The old hunters who couldn't do it any more will now take a renewed look at hunting and introduce some young blood to our dying sport/heritage.
I hope this wasnt jumbled together and makes scense I've been trying to write on this topic for a long time between work and chores (kids) at home it is difficult. theposted thoughts are between feedings. Take time to think about the positives and lets stop the in fighting..

Have a safe season everyone and welcome to our new/old hunting parnters
Rich Farino

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.