HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Looks like NY say's no to crossbows once again??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/324295-looks-like-ny-says-no-crossbows-once-again.html)

sits in trees 06-09-2010 04:09 AM

Looks like NY say's no to crossbows once again???

i just watched the taped ny senate committee hearing on wether to allow x-bows and here is a link for anyone interested..

http://www.nysenate.gov/event/2010/j...vation-meeting

starts at 23:27 and you have a guy/committee speaker who speaks about how the crossbow is not a bow and a poachers weapon and is more like a rifle and will shoot 100 yds, and in my amazment there wasn't a single person there to dispute this complete and total hogwash???
the committee head then stops him and goes on to say that there is a huge show of support for the crossbow in NY with e-mails, calls and letters at record amount and more letters and e-mails in support of this than any other bill they are currently viewing?

oh and the NY bowhunters had there guy spewing his usual BS at 10:43 and stated that currently there are already laws in effect for handicapped individuals to use a crossbow in ny, what a laugh. then he brings up the PSE tach-10 and how this thing is built on a tactical stock and is deadly to 100 yds, then states how it takes no skill to shoot a crossbow etc, etc.

then to round up the hearing the head of committee stated there is a huge amount of support for this bill you just gotta gets some folks here to move this bill??? what the heck isnt there 1 or 2 single hunters in this state that would go and show up for this and speak up to these people? NY bowhunters are there spreading the usual lies without anyone to there to stand up for the vast majority of NY hunters who do want the option to use crossbows.

well when this comes up again i'm going and i'm looking for someone in this huge state that will come and back me up....any takers????

SteveBNy 06-09-2010 05:35 AM

I'm ready - the half truths, misdirections, and outright fabrications from the handful at NYB are over the top. They do this while trying to get mz in the best week of bowseason.

sits in trees 06-09-2010 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by SteveBNy (Post 3634602)
I'm ready - the half truths, misdirections, and outright fabrications from the handful at NYB are over the top. They do this while trying to get mz in the best week of bowseason.

Hey Steve, i'm looking into this and will keep you intouch...

halfbakedi420 06-09-2010 07:00 AM

is there not a shotgun or rifle hunting season there....why not allow xbows then? personally i dont like the idea of xbows during archery season, but it is archery, and i use a compound bow, and traditionalist have the same argument towards my archery equipment.

SteveBNy 06-09-2010 07:30 AM

Sits - keep me posted.
Sent you my email.
Might try pming RWK as well.

DougE 06-09-2010 01:47 PM

I personally don't consider crossbows archery equiptment but at the same time,I don't rabidly oppose their use either.They were approved in Pa last year and we didn't see a huge increase in participation at this point.I imagine as time goes on,there will be more and more in use every year but that's yet to be seen.

gnhuntn 06-09-2010 05:40 PM

I've been wondering what the license numbers showed this past season. Doug, you claim there was not a huge increase in participation. Have you seen the info for archery license sales last season? I have been really curious about what those numbers might be.

DeerandbearhoG 06-09-2010 07:17 PM

I dont understand why any NY hunter would want more weapon restrictions in this state, like we dont have enough already? What difference does it make, what you poke a hole, in a deer w/ anyway???

DougE 06-10-2010 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by gnhuntn (Post 3634781)
I've been wondering what the license numbers showed this past season. Doug, you claim there was not a huge increase in participation. Have you seen the info for archery license sales last season? I have been really curious about what those numbers might be.

I forget the exact numbers but it was insignificant.However,this issue went back and forth up until the last possible minute so alot of guys may have held off buying one.

I know nothing about NY's harvest statistics so it's hard for me to comment on their potential impact in that state.In Pa,there was concern that if participation was too great,it could impact the number of pre-rut bucks being taken.If that happened,the season would most likley being shortened to not not include the rut.That was my main opposition to crossbows but it appears that my concerns have so far been proven wrong.If that trend continues,I could care less what people poke holes in deer with.

W.Ztirem 06-11-2010 09:33 AM

I for one have been guilty of not being proactive concerning this issue. One or two guys is not nearly enough to perhaps influence passage of a crossbow bill. NYB (squeaky wheel) gets all the grease up in Albany.Let me know when the issue gets hot again. I enjoy a good fight!