Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA spring gobbler >

PA spring gobbler

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA spring gobbler

Old 05-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

JW,go to the PGC website.Go all the way to the right hand side and click on LAW.Once you get in there,click on the tab for the digest.Once in there,click on the turkey regs.It will be a bunch of pdf's.On the front page,left hand column,it specifically states hunting by calling only-no stalking.Stalking is 100% illegal,even if you have orange on and every WCO I know are very persistent about pinching guys for it.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...177/page37_pdf
Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

There it is.Open it up and look under spring hunting on the left hand sid of the page.It's as clear as a bell.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DougE
I hate to turn into the internet police but stalking turkeys in the spring is not only dangerous and inconsiderate,it's also illegal.Hunting in the spring is by calling only and you broke the law,plain and simple.
douge stalking or hunting or going after turkey after hearing it,I DON T KNOW ANYONE THAT DOES NOT DO THAT.
laws mean nothing to MOST hunters.heck, i was stalked i dont know how many times last year ,i must sound like a HEN....

this is why i wrap my tree with orange ribbon..

dont bash him ,he is just doing what MOST hunters do in spring gobbler season.what he did is NORMAL and done by best turkey hunters that always seem to get gobbler.
this is why i almost never call anymore.i give owl hoot in dark and locate the turkey and sit down and HOPE gobbler walks by.if i called i would see that camo head peeking out of brush.
i just wish as i do that they would wear orange hat. i do if i want to relocate to another area.
MOST if not all i see have no orange on and its not required this year to wear orange.

PGC was fool for changing this but a bigger fool is people who walk in woods without orange hat on.
some even CALL while walking .with full camo clothes on.
oh well,dont bash him, he is doing what MOST do and is norm for spring gobbler.

did you know a lot shoot hens at this time of year?oh yes they cant even tell difference from gobbler and hen....

as paul harvey says, GOOD DAY!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DougE
JW,go to the PGC website.Go all the way to the right hand side and click on LAW.Once you get in there,click on the tab for the digest.Once in there,click on the turkey regs.It will be a bunch of pdf's.On the front page,left hand column,it specifically states hunting by calling only-no stalking.Stalking is 100% illegal,even if you have orange on and every WCO I know are very persistent about pinching guys for it.
doug, not being smart.HOW CAN THAT BE ENFORCED.i hear gobbler and walk to it and sit down and set -up. am i stalking?i have orange hat on ,am i stalking?walking back to car, i hear gobbler close, i sit down and set-up..AM I STALKING?
if so i think that just about everyone should be arrested.
if hunter hears turkey, walks as close as he can to gobbler, sits down and waits say 5 minutes,gives a little cluck then shoots the gobbler, is that stalking?

how any WCO could enforce that is beyond me.maybe one will respond to how they would arrest someone .
only way i would know is if you would go after turkey and not sit down and set -up.like walk to 50 yds of gobbler undected and lean against tree and shoot.
almost EVERYONE if they hear a gobbler THEY WILL HEAD TO IT..
i see it everywhere i hunt, i hear it all the time,i hear car doors shutting to get down road quick to spot they heard the gobbler.

its NORMAL and i see no way to stop it..................
Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's very easily enforecable,especially since he came right out and admitted that he stalked the turkeys.Lets see,a WCO sees someone walking toward the edge of a field and then they jump shoots two turkeys.Worse yet,if someone was working those birds and witnessed it,all they would have to do is testify and leave it up to a magistrate.I don't know who you hunt with but no one I hunt with would ever consider stalking a turkey and then shooting it.I know plenty of guys that would refuse to shoot a bird if it comes in silent.You're way out in left saying that most hunters stalk turkeys.I'm sure a certain percentage would and that's why it's illegal to do.Not only is it unsafe but it's flat out ignorant.I'm sure if you were working a bird on the edge of a field and a couple guys snuck in and shot them,you'd be posting about it on every forum.

Hearing a turkey and then moving in to set up is not stalking as long as you call the bird in.That's clearly what these guys did not do.He specifically stated that he saw them out in a field,stalked them and pushed them into his buddy.That's clearly against the law and enforceable.

Hunting by calling only.Sitting next to a strut zone or roost without calling is against the law.That one may be tough to enforce but stalking in and jump shooting them is enforeable and guys get pinched for it every year.

I didn't bash anyone.I simply stated that what he admitted to was 100% illegal.There wasn't even a gray area.

Last year my buddy Mark and I were coming out of the woods on the .last day of the season around 11:00am.We came out on a logging road and 5 jakes were standing not 20 yards away.I have no doubt that they came in silent to our calling.Still,neither of use even considered taking our guns off our shoulders.It would have been an easy shot and most likley the only people who would have known was us.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
doug, not being smart.HOW CAN THAT BE ENFORCED.i hear gobbler and walk to it and sit down and set -up. am i stalking?i have orange hat on ,am i stalking?walking back to car, i hear gobbler close, i sit down and set-up..AM I STALKING?
if so i think that just about everyone should be arrested.
if hunter hears turkey, walks as close as he can to gobbler, sits down and waits say 5 minutes,gives a little cluck then shoots the gobbler, is that stalking?

how any WCO could enforce that is beyond me.maybe one will respond to how they would arrest someone .
only way i would know is if you would go after turkey and not sit down and set -up.like walk to 50 yds of gobbler undected and lean against tree and shoot.
almost EVERYONE if they hear a gobbler THEY WILL HEAD TO IT..
i see it everywhere i hunt, i hear it all the time,i hear car doors shutting to get down road quick to spot they heard the gobbler.

its NORMAL and i see no way to stop it..................
Nope,what you descibed would not be stalking.Seeing two birds in a field,then stalking up and shooting them without making a call is illegal and enforceable.

There's nothing wrong hearing a bird,moving in on it and then setting up to call.That's how the game is played.Seeing a bird,stalking it and shooting without calling is against the law.I don't know how to make it any more plain.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:24 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Okay - then if stopped all I need say is you did not hear my call!
And then when questioned I immediatley spit out the diaphram! at he is feet!

For once I find the this law rather ridiculous, - stalking is a method I bet many ahve used -

Does the same apply to deer hunting?

JW

Last edited by JW; 05-03-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

i came up empty handed. but i got a few respponses. it was fun and i was happy for it being my first time
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JW!
Okay - then if stopped all I need say is you did not hear my call!
And then when questioned I immediatley spit out the diaphram! at he is feet!

For once I find the this law rather ridiculous, - stalking is a method I bet many ahve used -

Does the same apply to deer hunting?

JW
jw, many ,you are right.lets say ALMOST ALL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.