Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA spring gobbler >

PA spring gobbler

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA spring gobbler

Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
here is good one. from week before TURKEY to now guess what bullet is being sold bigtime at local gunshops?.

22 CAL MAG. i wonder why all of sudden that spring turkey is in that 22cal mag is hot bullet being sold?i wonder why over/under with 22cal mag on top is used for spring gobbler?now that you can carry a pistol hunting is it being used for protection?
law says you cant carry a rifle bullet for your over/under in spring gobbler!is that happening?

did you know hunters are using BUCKSHOT for spring gobbler?how do we know, well hunters being shot are being shot with BUCKSHOT!

folks,every way you can get edge legal or illegal is being done.i heard 2 rifle shots the first day of spring gobbler right accross from my home.

oh, i forgot they are coyote hunting
A shotgun would be much more effective for hunting turkeys than a pistol.Maybe the 22 mag sales are up because the woodchucks are out and about.I know I usually pick up a box or two this time of year.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
Nope,I've killed several that came in silent.All gobbled at least at one point but still snuck in just the same.However,I know several people that won't kill them unless they're gobbling.Hunting turkeys isn't really about the kill to alot of people.The rush is calling them in.If a silent gobbler doesn't give them that rush,they'll find one that does.Shooting a stationary object with a shotgun at 30 yards is kind of anti-claimatic.It's the trill of calling them in that drives most serious turkey hunters.

You nailed it. The "shot" that ends a spring turkey hunt is VERY anticlimatic. In fact, I've sat there a few times after working one in, and reflected and wished that somehow it wasn't over yet, that he was still gobbling, playing hard to get, and I was still working him in. Last Saturday was a good example of that. It was fast and furious, the bird came in quickly and it was all over so fast. I was elated that my buddy had just bagged his first tom, but I wished somewhow, it hadn't ended quite so quickly. It's all about the thrill of the chase...perhaps more so with gobblers than anything else I hunt.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
You nailed it. The "shot" that ends a spring turkey hunt is VERY anticlimatic. In fact, I've sat there a few times after working one in, and reflected and wished that somehow it wasn't over yet, that he was still gobbling, playing hard to get, and I was still working him in. Last Saturday was a good example of that. It was fast and furious, the bird came in quickly and it was all over so fast. I was elated that my buddy had just bagged his first tom, but I wished somewhow, it hadn't ended quite so quickly. It's all about the thrill of the chase...perhaps more so with gobblers than anything else I hunt.
That's how I feel about it.I eat the one's I kill but I certainly don't crave spring gobbler.The shot itself is never all that exciting either.It's calling them in and hearing them gobbler that keeps me at it and I really can't explain why.I could care less if I ever kill another one.I'd rather watch someone else pull the trigger at this point,which is probably why I've never bothered to get a second tag.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW!
Doug
Stalking - That is a surprise while I agree about stalking as it can be dangerous. I ddid know PA outlawed it.

So I tried to read the PA game laws - maybe you can point me in the right direction as I can't find the reg dealing with stalking of turkeys.

Thanks
JW
JW,Not sure where to find it in the regs but I do know it's illegal here.It used to be in the little book they gave with the licence but since they switched to the new regs book I have no clue
Old 06-06-2010, 05:42 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I was given a reference from DougE.

Yes it is Illegal in PA.

Thanks -