Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PA spring gobbler >

PA spring gobbler

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA spring gobbler

Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DougE
It's very easily enforecable,especially since he came right out and admitted that he stalked the turkeys.Lets see,a WCO sees someone walking toward the edge of a field and then they jump shoots two turkeys.Worse yet,if someone was working those birds and witnessed it,all they would have to do is testify and leave it up to a magistrate.I don't know who you hunt with but no one I hunt with would ever consider stalking a turkey and then shooting it.I know plenty of guys that would refuse to shoot a bird if it comes in silent.You're way out in left saying that most hunters stalk turkeys.I'm sure a certain percentage would and that's why it's illegal to do.Not only is it unsafe but it's flat out ignorant.I'm sure if you were working a bird on the edge of a field and a couple guys snuck in and shot them,you'd be posting about it on every forum.

Hearing a turkey and then moving in to set up is not stalking as long as you call the bird in.That's clearly what these guys did not do.He specifically stated that he saw them out in a field,stalked them and pushed them into his buddy.That's clearly against the law and enforceable.

Hunting by calling only.Sitting next to a strut zone or roost without calling is against the law.That one may be tough to enforce but stalking in and jump shooting them is enforeable and guys get pinched for it every year.

I didn't bash anyone.I simply stated that what he admitted to was 100% illegal.There wasn't even a gray area.

Last year my buddy Mark and I were coming out of the woods on the .last day of the season around 11:00am.We came out on a logging road and 5 jakes were standing not 20 yards away.I have no doubt that they came in silent to our calling.Still,neither of use even considered taking our guns off our shoulders.It would have been an easy shot and most likley the only people who would have known was us.
douge, you are in area where you have LOTS of turkeys. in clinton county, turkey is not as EASY to get or a LOT of them.
sooooooooooooo,any way they can get that gobbler, THEY ARE GOING TO DO IT.
i commend you and your buddy for being a sportsman but my friend, THATS NOT REAL WORLD IN MY NECK OF WOODS.

my brother hunts on farm in lycoming county. he sits there and clucks a few calls turkeys come out and he and shoots the biggest gobbler,its that easy.nothing to it.
these FARM turkeys are farm fed in fields and grow big and fat and dumb as door nail.
our clinton turkeys are WILD TURKEYS .yet the private landowners are feeding them in all winter and starting to make them now into FARM turkeys.big fat and stupid as h.

so things are changing too.i hate it that now turkeys i hunt are all flying onto big privateland to get a big fat bowl of corn or whatever is left over from winter smorgasboard.
getting fat and stupid and being shot by hunters sitting near their 4 wheelers waiting in location that those dumbies fly into looking for big lunch.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproul,I hunt public property in the big woods.I don't hunt farms.So far this spring I haven't heard a single gobble,during the season or the preseason.It's the first time I've ever experienced this but I'm not going to break any laws to kill a bird.

It sounds to me like you live in the wild west.Everyone you encounter breaks the law and wants to kill every last critter out there.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW!
Okay - then if stopped all I need say is you did not hear my call!
And then when questioned I immediatley spit out the diaphram! at he is feet!

For once I find the this law rather ridiculous, - stalking is a method I bet many ahve used -

Does the same apply to deer hunting?

JW
When you call,you do so from a stationary location.If you're on the move and kill a turky,you just broke the law,whether you spit out a call or not.I personally don't find the law ridiculous at all.If I'm working a bird and some pinhead decides to stalk in and mess up my hunt,it's gonna get unpleasant in a hurry.Stalking turkeys is dangerous and it's disrespectful to other hunters.

I've killed dozens of turkeys in the spring.I can't remember one time when I wasn't sitting against a tree or log when I took the shot.If a guy is on his feet and moving when he shoots,he just broke the law and he'll have a tough time defending it in court.The law used to be easier to prove when orange was madatory while moving but it's still easily enforecable.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Thanks for the Reg listing and the input. But I see that as a real gray area and that is just MO.

Just for the record I have yet to stand to take a shot. When I troll the first thing one does before any call is to find a place to sit down qucikly. Learned that the hard way as I got busted before I could put the call down.

As far as I know PA is the only state with that type of Law on the books. No Stalking.

I teach Hunter Education so any new state I hunt I read the Regs to fully understand what I can and can not do.

JW
Old 05-04-2010, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's no law against trolling.You can walk all you want.You can hear a bird and move into a better position to call.I move multiple times and reset up to call in most of the birds I kill.That's how most people hunt.You just have to call the bird in.What you can't do is see a bird,say out in a field,sneak up on it and shoot it like what was posted.That's clearly illegal and most people thankfully,do not hunt that way.It's also illegal to shoot a bird out of it's roost.Hunting is by calling only.That doesn't mean you can't employ woodsmanship and other tecniques.You just have to calll the bird in.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Spike

When you call,you do so from a stationary location.If you're on the move and kill a turky,you just broke the law,whether you spit out a call or not.I personally don't find the law ridiculous at all.If I'm working a bird and some pinhead decides to stalk in and mess up my hunt,it's gonna get unpleasant in a hurry.Stalking turkeys is dangerous and it's disrespectful to other hunters.

I've killed dozens of turkeys in the spring.I can't remember one time when I wasn't sitting against a tree or log when I took the shot.If a guy is on his feet and moving when he shoots,he just broke the law and he'll have a tough time defending it in court.The law used to be easier to prove when orange was madatory while moving but it's still easily enforecable.
It's gonna get unpleasant in a hurry?So in other words you're going to become confrontational and threatening.But you're a real sportsman,a law man.Give me a break.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Spike

There's no law against trolling.You can walk all you want.You can hear a bird and move into a better position to call.I move multiple times and reset up to call in most of the birds I kill.That's how most people hunt.You just have to call the bird in.What you can't do is see a bird,say out in a field,sneak up on it and shoot it like what was posted.That's clearly illegal and most people thankfully,do not hunt that way.It's also illegal to shoot a bird out of it's roost.Hunting is by calling only.That doesn't mean you can't employ woodsmanship and other tecniques.You just have to calll the bird in.
"Moving into a better position" would be a form of stalking.Unless there is a law stating how far you must stay away from the bird when moving,it's stalking.Even though you're calling,you are still moving into the bird.I could go out there with a mouth call,walk around until I'm close enough to shoot,hurry up and sit,call a few times,let the turkey take a step,and shoot at the same time.That would be the same as "moving into a better position" just more extreme.It wouldn't be stalking since i called right??It also is hypocritical considering you could easily walk into another hunters spot without knowing,which you said would "get unpleasant" if it happened to you.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by racingdl19
It's gonna get unpleasant in a hurry?So in other words you're going to become confrontational and threatening.But you're a real sportsman,a law man.Give me a break.
If someone ruins my hunt by committing a illegal act,you better believe there's gonna be a confrontation.I've had quite a few hunts messed up by other hunters who moved in unintentionally not knowing another hunters was working a bird.I have no problem with that.It happens.Stalking my position without any intention of setting up to call is a different story.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by racingdl19
"Moving into a better position" would be a form of stalking.Unless there is a law stating how far you must stay away from the bird when moving,it's stalking.Even though you're calling,you are still moving into the bird.I could go out there with a mouth call,walk around until I'm close enough to shoot,hurry up and sit,call a few times,let the turkey take a step,and shoot at the same time.That would be the same as "moving into a better position" just more extreme.It wouldn't be stalking since i called right??It also is hypocritical considering you could easily walk into another hunters spot without knowing,which you said would "get unpleasant" if it happened to you.
Nothing hypocritical about it.If someone is legitimatley moving in to call and doesn't know another hunter is working the bird,there's no illegal acts and there should be no issues.If someone is stalking,with the intention of sneeking up on a bird and wacking it,that's friggin illegal.I don't care whether or not you think it can be proved.If someone did what the original poster did,they're breaking the law.If someone did that to a bird I was calling to,I ain't given em hug and wishing them better luck next time.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

What if two guys were set up working the same bird from differnet sides....unaware of each other or assuming each other were live hens. One decides to move and circle around to another side to work the bird and hopefully bring him in because his angle isn't favorable. He inadvertently spooks/ bumps the bird. The other hunter then accuses him of stalking. Who is at fault here, and was the law broken in any way? And is intention provable in court? My opinion on the mattre is that moving is a often necessary part of turkey hutning....and there is a difference between that and stalking a turkey sound, trying to walk up within range and shoot. If I belly crawl fifty yards closer then setup against a tree, and then the turkey appears in range before I can call again, was that stalking as well? I believe the law is to vague with definition and most cases would fail to prosecute unless a game warden observed the violation first hand, such as watching someone crawl across an open field and shoot a bird within sight of the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.