Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Change for the Better >

Change for the Better

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Change for the Better

Old 05-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by germain
I don't know Doug,there's alot of no deer stories around.If anybody is hunting the two places we hiked on 93 I can believe they didn't see deer.
Rich,SGL 93 has lot's of deer.once you get back in,there's big clearcuts and all kinds of habitat improvements.Walking in from Anderson creek road is a very small piece of that property and one of the worst areas.Seriously,if a guy hunts there during deer season and sees few deer or worse yet,no deer,there's no hope for him.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DougE
Rich,SGL 93 has lot's of deer.once you get back in,there's big clearcuts and all kinds of habitat improvements.Walking in from Anderson creek road is a very small piece of that property and one of the worst areas.Seriously,if a guy hunts there during deer season and sees few deer or worse yet,no deer,there's no hope for him.
douge , respectfully I KNOW OF NO SGL LAND IN PA THAT HAS LOTS OF DEER.actually worst place to hunt is on SGL land.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wvhuntin4me
I have no complaints . i hunt there and here i feel for them. Hunting there is not very good. hunting here is much better.Yet our state keeps losing people population.Maybe they are hunters from other states that moved to pa from better hunting states. I know i would be ticked with no deer to hunt......
really? are you hunting in counties east of I-79 ???? because our deer populations are declining rapidly, as our human population increases as drastically...come to the 5 Eastern Panhandle counties and THEN make that statement.... the best deer population per county BY FAR is west of I- 79.. look at last years harvest totals and see where the top 10 are located...
Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I must be in a good pocket here. cause i have no complaints..But i do understand your point...
Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
douge , respectfully I KNOW OF NO SGL LAND IN PA THAT HAS LOTS OF DEER.actually worst place to hunt is on SGL land.
I know of several state game lands in 2G that have lot's of deer.SGL 44 in elk county has good deer populations.SGL 93 has alot of deer.I routinely see 12-15 just walking or riding my horses on the main game lands roads during the morning.I don't hunt deer on it but I do hunt turkeys and small game.I can't remember the last time I saw less than 10 deer or so in just a few hours.I also have several friends that hunt in religeously.They all routinely see well over 20-30 deer on days when there's pressure.SGL 77 also has alot of deer.I drive through it every day on my way to work and rarely don't see deer.I hunted it the first day of spring gobler season and jumped two different groups of deer totaling at least 10 deer and I had to be back to my truck by 7:30am.I know a guy that moved down from Ontario last fall.He hunted that same game lands on the first saturday and last saturday.Without ever stepping foot in there before,he saw over 40 deer in two days and killed a 15" 8 point.I haven't hunted for deer on the state game lands in 2G for several years with a rifle because I kill a buck every year with a bow and it's been at least 4 years since I got a 2G doe tag.If I stilll had a tag come the first day of rifle season,I'd be hunting on sgl and I'd expect a reasonable chance for success.I only get a chance to hunt dmap properties during rifle season so I hunt strictly state forests and on timber company land,open to the public.Typically these areas have less deer because the habitat is much worse.regardless,I have no problems finding enough deer to fill all of my tags and I do it by hunting only the first day and on saturdays.Finding and killing deer on public land in 2G is still easy.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Germain,

The only problem with all those "no deer" stories floating around is that lots of the folks telling those stories eventually trip up and later admit that they filled their tag. Have had that happen a number of times when the most radical no deer folks on here later just happened to casually let it drop that they had taken nice bucks or passed on opportunities to take nice buck, does, etc in areas that they had earlier described as wastes of time to hunt.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Germain,

The only problem with all those "no deer" stories floating around is that lots of the folks telling those stories eventually trip up and later admit that they filled their tag. Have had that happen a number of times when the most radical no deer folks on here later just happened to casually let it drop that they had taken nice bucks or passed on opportunities to take nice buck, does, etc in areas that they had earlier described as wastes of time to hunt.
i passed up a few doe this season.worst season in years on seeing deer.wmu2g can hold 11 dpsm.yet we have miles with no deer or max of 3 dpsm in clinton county.
thats all we are asking that they go by what they said our area can hold, 11 deer dpsm.
i have folks that say they buy doe tag and dont use it,yet they do but lanse they work VERY HARD to fill it.like weeks of hunting.others dont use tag like me.

read back where i said 5 crews drove my hunting area and shot 1 doe.some had 20 hunters in crew.some already had doe from another county and came here to kill doe that are left.
if i wanted a doe,I COULD KILL ONE IN CLINTON COUNTY but its not just walking out and sitting down to get one. its very hard and takes a lot of time in woods and being lucky helps.

but killing off those few doe is not something that i will ever do.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wvhuntin4me
I must be in a good pocket here. cause i have no complaints..But i do understand your point...
maybe, but you didn't say which county you were in...
Old 05-16-2010, 04:44 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

I guess that depends on what one calls lot of deer, but I can tell you that the game lands in Elk County support some of the best deer populations that can be found in the area. Most areas of our game lands in this part of the state still have as many deer as the habitat can support.

There is no question that the generally smaller game lands around the more metropolitan areas of the state see more hunting pressure and accordingly higher deer harvests as well. But, from my experience the lower deer numbers on those game lands is generally more from the deer being pushed off of the game lands to the private and posted lands around the game lands than from a problem of the deer being over harvested. That is a problem that isn’t easily solved.

Dick Bodenhorn
Old 05-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

your welcome to come to Washngton County, I will take you to SGL 232 and SGL 245 and show you lots of deer and sign.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.