HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Time To Turn The PGC Into Scrap!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/320161-time-turn-pgc-into-scrap.html)

J Pike 03-22-2010 01:10 PM

Time To Turn The PGC Into Scrap!!

This is pathetic!! In 2009 -10, 900,000 + PA. deer hunters had an ESTIMATED Deer Harvest of 308,920 deer. Meanwhile our next store neighbors, 400,000 OH. deer hunters had an ACTUAL Deer Harvest of 261,314 deer. (the ODNR only counts deer that are actually checked in and do not use estimates) And according to the PGC., PA. has more deer per square mile.
The PGC. is a Joke and needs to be blown up, turned into scrap and then dumped into the ocean!! And then send their employee's to Super Pets for new jobs!!Pike

pats102862 03-22-2010 02:51 PM

You have two states similar in square miles, Pa. has half a million more hunters than Ohio. If you want to make a comparison, find a state with similar to Pa in square miles and with a million hunters if you want to compare success rates.

moosemike 03-22-2010 02:57 PM

We don't have a million hunters in PA.

WV Gino 03-22-2010 03:02 PM

Jeff

remeber back a few years ago? PA was in herd reduction mode and killing half a million deer year. Ohio is now in herd reduction mode and killing big numbers for their state. When they get their herd knocked down the statewide harvest numbers will drop as well. I thought you would be smart enough to realize this.

WV Gino

J Pike 03-22-2010 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by pats102862 (Post 3599931)
You have two states similar in square miles, Pa. has half a million more hunters than Ohio. If you want to make a comparison, find a state with similar to Pa in square miles and with a million hunters if you want to compare success rates.

Why?? We have over 500,000 more deer hunters that are armed with HIGH POWERED RIFLES and more and longer Firearm seasons, compared to OH. gun hunters having to use shot guns and ML.'s and shorter firearm seasons. Also as any hunter know's a deer's weakness is HUNTING PRESSURE, and forcing them to be up on their feet during daylight hours is the easiest way to kill them. And our additional 500,000 + deer hunters can create a heck of a lot of hunting pressure! Yet we can only manage to harvest 48,000 + more deer? Are you kidding me? Pike

J Pike 03-22-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by WV Gino (Post 3599940)
Jeff

remeber back a few years ago? PA was in herd reduction mode and killing half a million deer year. Ohio is now in herd reduction mode and killing big numbers for their state. When they get their herd knocked down the statewide harvest numbers will drop as well. I thought you would be smart enough to realize this.

WV Gino

Gino the increased tags issued by the ODNR. is only expected to harvest an additional 10,000 deer per year. The ODNR.'s Target Goal of 560,000 whitetail deer is still their target goal and has been since I been hunting in OH. The ODNR's target goal has not changed, but some years the ODNR, has reduced the amount of tags because of harvesting too many deer the previous year(s) and some years they increase them because of not harvesting enough deer the previous year(s). Pike

J Pike 03-22-2010 03:24 PM

Gino in 2007 the ODNR. did a study on how many of their hunters actually fill every one (up to 3) of the tags available to them.
They found out that only 8,000 of their 400,000 deer hunters tagged out per year. The reason given, Most OH. hunters have no desire to harvest more than 2 deer per year.
So Gino in your opinion, how many of those 8,000 hunters would even try to harvest a 4th, 5th or 6th deer per year? Pike

wvhuntin4me 03-22-2010 04:18 PM

Does Pa still have the report card system? i know many hunters who dont send them in. as well as people who dont get a deer send one in for an ego trip . they need to do a check in system to get tag for deer. That way processor cant touch deer till checked in. But there are those who do there own so would it work?

WV Gino 03-22-2010 05:13 PM

Here is an ESPN article from last spring after the 2009 season

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/h...ory?id=3999776

In Ohio, where reducing the deer herd is job one for the DNR's Division of Wildlife, a record 252,017 deer were killed during the 2008-09 hunting season, an increase of almost 20,000 deer over the previous year and the most since the previous record of 237,316 were harvested in 2006-2007.
"I was very pleased with the season. Hunters were encouraged to take more does and they continued to put heavy pressure on the antlerless deer," says David M. Graham, chief of the Division of Wildlife. "But work remains to lower the deer population, particularly in eastern Ohio." This, in a state that resumed legalized deer hunting in 1943, when 168 whitetails were killed in the three-county area open to hunting.

Gino

thndrchiken 03-22-2010 06:26 PM

How many people actually report their harvest on the report cards? Not many I'd be willing to guess.