Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Time To Turn The PGC Into Scrap!! >

Time To Turn The PGC Into Scrap!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Time To Turn The PGC Into Scrap!!

Old 05-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DougE
Just a simple question.You seem to have no problems criticizing the man but I've yet to see you try and use facts to back up your criticism.About 10 years ago,I thought R,S,B was out in left field.I also thought it would be easy to prove his theories wrong.I met him and actually have spent a fair amount of time with him evaluating and learning about the habitat and deer.I can tell you for a fact that R.S.B is one of the most knowledgable people out there.He also consistantly kills deer and turkeys on very limited time in public areas where people cry that there's no game.I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt that the man has a very good handle on what's going on in the northen tier of Pa.

I'm happy for you and him. No really, I mean that.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DougE
Just a simple question.You seem to have no problems criticizing the man but I've yet to see you try and use facts to back up your criticism.About 10 years ago,I thought R,S,B was out in left field.I also thought it would be easy to prove his theories wrong.I met him and actually have spent a fair amount of time with him evaluating and learning about the habitat and deer.I can tell you for a fact that R.S.B is one of the most knowledgable people out there.He also consistantly kills deer and turkeys on very limited time in public areas where people cry that there's no game.I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt that the man has a very good handle on what's going on in the northen tier of Pa.
at times R.S.B IS knothead.when he drives from sinnamahoning to keating and sees 12 deer and thinks thats A LOT of deer and there must be double that WAYBACK,you have to wonder but i can get along with most even if we care to disagree.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Has anyone brought up the fact that Ohio has a ton of outfitters and guides? I'll bet non-residents are shooting a lot of those deer in Ohio.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Has anyone brought up the fact that Ohio has a ton of outfitters and guides? I'll bet non-residents are shooting a lot of those deer in Ohio.
What does that have to do with anything?? PA. still has over twice as many deer hunters than OH. does. PA. also sells more NR. Lic's than OH. does aswell. Pike
Old 05-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Spike

more stats that dont add up ........
Old 05-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

For the ones that say we have deer and stick up for the PGC.I say get off your POSTED land and come out and hunt PGC or SFL land then come back and tell everyone how many deer we have
Old 05-23-2010, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by shump
For the ones that say we have deer and stick up for the PGC.I say get off your POSTED land and come out and hunt PGC or SFL land then come back and tell everyone how many deer we have

I hear ya but DougE is the main one defending the PGC on this thread and he does hunt public land quite a bit from what I understand. So there goes that.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:54 AM
RSB
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by shump
There is no question that the public lands around the major cities get more hunting pressure and the deer often get chased off of it onto posted private lands during the hunting seasons. In fact just the amount of non-hunting public use of the lands can keep deer from using parts of the public land during much of the year. That does not really mean that the deer there have been over harvested though since frequently the deer still use those public lands at night and can thus have a major impact on the available food supplies. That is one of the biggest problems deer managers face in getting the correct number of deer harvested in the areas where they need to be harvested. Often the habitat of those areas proves that more deer need to be harvested but the deer aren’t available to the hunters when and where hunters can be affective. That is also why some areas have to resort to using sharp shooters at night to control the deer numbers in some of those areas.

I do all of my hunting on either public land or large tracts of private land enrolled in the Game Commission public access programs and believe me they hold some of the best deer populations around this part of the state. The difference is that the lands are so large the deer can’t be pressured off of huntable areas. Even though the deer here can’t get to posted sanctuaries like they can in the smaller public lands setting like around the cities they do head into some difficult areas of the public land where few hunters go and thus most of them avoid being harvested.

An example of that is in the fact that of the several hundred of radio collared and tags does the professionals have been tracking through the hunting seasons on the public lands of the north central part of the state the hunters have harvested less then eight of ever hundred does. It is VERY difficult to blame the lack of deer on hunters shooting too many does when that is all the does hunters have been able to harvest.

Finding ways to control the deer harvests so hunters are able to harvest more in the remote areas is a serious challenge when many hunters don’t understand that hunter harvests are often not the factor limiting deer numbers. It is equally challenging to find ways to prevent deer being pressured into un-hunted or under hunted sanctuaries around or more metropolitan public lands. The problem often isn’t as much in knowing how many deer need to be harvested to fit the habitat as it is knowing how to get the right number harvested in each area since the problems of the different areas require different management and harvest objectives.

Dick Bodenhorn
Old 05-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

That's the whole problem with SGL's in southern Lebanon county. There is good deer numbers there but they get pressured off onto private land where they don't get hunted or they get hunted very little.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RSB
There is no question that the public lands around the major cities get more hunting pressure and the deer often get chased off of it onto posted private lands during the hunting seasons. In fact just the amount of non-hunting public use of the lands can keep deer from using parts of the public land during much of the year. That does not really mean that the deer there have been over harvested though since frequently the deer still use those public lands at night and can thus have a major impact on the available food supplies. That is one of the biggest problems deer managers face in getting the correct number of deer harvested in the areas where they need to be harvested. Often the habitat of those areas proves that more deer need to be harvested but the deer aren’t available to the hunters when and where hunters can be affective. That is also why some areas have to resort to using sharp shooters at night to control the deer numbers in some of those areas.

I do all of my hunting on either public land or large tracts of private land enrolled in the Game Commission public access programs and believe me they hold some of the best deer populations around this part of the state. The difference is that the lands are so large the deer can’t be pressured off of huntable areas. Even though the deer here can’t get to posted sanctuaries like they can in the smaller public lands setting like around the cities they do head into some difficult areas of the public land where few hunters go and thus most of them avoid being harvested.

An example of that is in the fact that of the several hundred of radio collared and tags does the professionals have been tracking through the hunting seasons on the public lands of the north central part of the state the hunters have harvested less then eight of ever hundred does. It is VERY difficult to blame the lack of deer on hunters shooting too many does when that is all the does hunters have been able to harvest.

Finding ways to control the deer harvests so hunters are able to harvest more in the remote areas is a serious challenge when many hunters don’t understand that hunter harvests are often not the factor limiting deer numbers. It is equally challenging to find ways to prevent deer being pressured into un-hunted or under hunted sanctuaries around or more metropolitan public lands. The problem often isn’t as much in knowing how many deer need to be harvested to fit the habitat as it is knowing how to get the right number harvested in each area since the problems of the different areas require different management and harvest objectives.

Dick Bodenhorn
i dont buy the 8 deer collared thing.i know in that area that my friends let doe go BUT THE ROAD HUNTERS AND OTHER HUNTERS SHOOT DOE.
trust ole sproul,that area has very few deer. the numbers of deer increased a little do to burn fire in that area of burns run.BUT THE HUNTERS CAME IN THERE IN HUGE NUMBERS AND HAMMERED THE DEER. then dcnr threw in the dreaded DMAP tags.

i know that area well.i had state camp in that area and hunted it hard .that area was always bad on deer numbers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.