Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Time To Turn The PGC Into Scrap!! >

Time To Turn The PGC Into Scrap!!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Time To Turn The PGC Into Scrap!!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 2008,my buddy's step son killed 148" 10 point that was CONFIRMED as 7.5 years old.He shot it on Elk state forest near Sinnemahoning and very close to rt872.Older age class deer are much more common in the big woods today because the hunting pressure is so low.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DougE
In 2008,my buddy's step son killed 148" 10 point that was CONFIRMED as 7.5 years old.He shot it on Elk state forest near Sinnemahoning and very close to rt872.Older age class deer are much more common in the big woods today because the hunting pressure is so low.
that area is near PRIVAteland BUT STILL I NEVER HEARD OF BUCK THAT OLD.avg is 2 to 4 yrs with max at 4YRS on STATEFORESTLAND in clinton county BIGWOODS, WAYBACK,RUGGED ISOLATED MTNS..
those figures came from local WCO over 46 yrs that i checked teeth with them on our bucks etc.
there are very few 4 yr old bucks around .large horns do not mean OLD BUCK.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's nonsense.That buck was killed in the middle of Elk state forest.It wasn't taken anywhere near posted property.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DougE
That's nonsense.That buck was killed in the middle of Elk state forest.It wasn't taken anywhere near posted property.
ok, give me a day or two to come up with another excuse
Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sproulman
RSB, HARD FOR ME TO BELIEVE.
this year i am going to try to log how many old deer say over 2 and 1/2 age and ones younger i see.someone will say, SPROUL WITHOUT CHECKING THEIR CHOPPERS HOW WOULD YOU KNOW.

just from 46 years looking at deer.
3 deer i saw this year other than buck, buck was 2 years old.the old doe was 2 and 1/2 or older and next one was 1 and 1/2 and other young fawn.
i may do this check for something to do.

dont know when that study was done but i assure you that NO DEER will hit 4 yr old and still walking around with collar on sending signals.maybe some will not shoot one with collar on but i dont think so.
They keep collaring more does each winter to have collars on deer to replace the collars that have quit functioning due to the battery going dead. There are also deer with just ear tags that can’t be seen by a hunter in the population and they aren’t being harvested either so it isn’t hunters just not shooting the marked ones.

During the 2007 deer season Pennsylvania Game Commission deer aging teams pulled teeth from over 5000 adult bucks and sent them to Matson’s Laboratory in Montana for accurate aging by cross sectioning.

They found that 73% of them were 2 ½ years old, 19% were 3 1/2, 5% were 4 ½ and of the remaining 3% one was 10 ½ years. The one 10 ½ was harvested in the Quehanna Wild Area during the last legal hour of the last day of the season.

Dick Bodenhorn
Old 05-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RSB
They keep collaring more does each winter to have collars on deer to replace the collars that have quit functioning due to the battery going dead. There are also deer with just ear tags that can’t be seen by a hunter in the population and they aren’t being harvested either so it isn’t hunters just not shooting the marked ones.

During the 2007 deer season Pennsylvania Game Commission deer aging teams pulled teeth from over 5000 adult bucks and sent them to Matson’s Laboratory in Montana for accurate aging by cross sectioning.

They found that 73% of them were 2 ½ years old, 19% were 3 1/2, 5% were 4 ½ and of the remaining 3% one was 10 ½ years. The one 10 ½ was harvested in the Quehanna Wild Area during the last legal hour of the last day of the season.

Dick Bodenhorn
unreal.over 10 years old.how in heck did he ever get away.that area is hunted hard.did this cover PRIVATELAND bucks?or was this all STATEFORESTLAND BUCKS?or both!with the 3 point rule and 4 point rule i can see more of 2 and 1/2 to 4 yr old bucks IF hunters stop shooting at little bucks in crews with junior along.
thanks for that info.......
Old 05-27-2010, 03:09 AM
Typical Buck

I am not that familiar with the northern teir, are there that large of tracts of private land were a buck can go through the rut cycle and never leave the said property?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

No Pat.It's just the opposite.There are hundreds of thousands of acres of public land with very little pressure.The deer are getting alot older because very few people are hunting them.I saw 4 hunters this past year on the first day of the season on state forest land.I hunted the same area on the first saturday and didn't see a single person.In 2008 I killed a doe on the last day of the seaon up in Sinnemahoning.I covered qite a bit of ground that morning to get to the spot where I wanted to hunt and never saw another bootprint.I hunted the same spot on the last day of the 2007 season and never saw a boot print that day either.Ironically,both years we had snow on the ground since mid Nov and there were no boot tracks in a very large area of public land that held plenty of deer.

This whole private land argument is B.S.Most private land has more hunters per square mile than the public land in the northern tier.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

pats. douge observation is way dofferent than i am seeing.I AM SEEING LOTS OF HUNTERS DRIVING THE SAME AREAS OVER AND OVER here in clinton county. .20 in crew,most seasoned hunters that know woods ....

in all years i hunted i NEVER heard of old deer like over 5 yrs old.reason today it may happen is because of the 3/4 point rule on buck, i dont know but it is not NORMAL even today to see buck over 4 yrs old on SFL..

if so its usually PRIVATELAND nearby or safety zone where you cant hunt and buck gets away.it is not NORMAL or common for a buck to be old on STATEFORESTLAND.just to much hunting pressure for a trophy buck to survive.
if nice buck is seen on SFL hundereds of hunters will know it. you think a trophy buck is going to get away on SFL with all those hunters after it.not only hunters but poachers will LIVE in that area after that buck. they will spotlight and ride that area to death.
i reported on here the biggest buck in my area was found with horns cut off. pgc knows its our local poacher with bedroom full of mounts.then heads missing in other area off rt144, was it same poacher?

all these trophy bucks were near PRIVATELAND on SFL.BUCK IS NOT GOING TO GET OLD ON SFL.

as douge and rsb said,IT DOES HAPPEN BUT THERE IS REASON IT DOES,it is not for lack of hunting pressure.nope dont buy that one !

sproul has spoken!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pat,the northern tier is a vast area with alot of steep terrain.The hunting pressure is very light in all but the most accessible spots.There's so much room for deer to get away from hunters that deer do get old up here.Look at what R.S.B posted.They have a couple hundred deer tagged and they KNOW FOR A FACT that only 8% are getting harvested by hunters.A deer has a better chance of dying from old age on the public land in the northern tier than on any private land unless it's fenced off and not hunted at all.

There was also a study done in Sproul's area a few years ago where they put GPS monitors on hunters and tracked their movements.Very few traveled more than a 1/4 mile from the road.This isn't a slam at hunters because honestly,I would never be willing to hike back in much farther than that to drag a deer out of those steep hollows and ravines.There's very little pressure and the pressure that is there is close to the roads or accessible areas.

Many of the areas I hunt are within a 15-25 minutes of the largest population center in this part of the state.I rarely ever see another hunter actually in the woods after the first day.Even on the first day,I hardly see any.Hunters are not wiping out the deer in 2G like Sproul is trying to claim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.